lap band

Options
Have any of you guys ever considered getting the lap band treatment or has anyone had the procedure. I have severe back pains i was suppose to get surgery on my back but my surgeon didn't want to perform surgery on me due to the fact im young and he didnt feel comfortable performing such a procedure. He recommended for me to try and get lap band lose a little weight because its the weight thats also causing me severe back pains!! He figures if i lose the wait i will be in less pains and would be able to basically deal with the back problems better. I dont know what to do i just know my back is absolutely killing me and at this time im ready to do anything to stop my back pains and get rid of this weight. i figure the lap band will be cheaper anyways because my back surgery would have cost 40k where as i know lapband or other surgeries doesnt cost that much. Does any1 have any advice or is my doctor just a complete a-hole lol

Replies

• shellywoodhead
    shellywoodhead Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If weight loss will lessen your suffering, I would definitely say consider the band. I have lost over 10 stones ... Luckily though I had no pains / illnesses ... Just wanted to take control of my life before the co morbidities crept upon me :)
  • Amanaka2012
    Amanaka2012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello-

I just got my lap band in October of this year (so I am a newbie!) One of my main reasons for getting my band was because of a back injury that I sustained two years ago. It is the extra tool that I need to keep me from over eating and getting me active again. I think the most important (and at first the most annoying) thing that people told me is- that the band is only a tool! And it truly is-- If I hadn't changed my mind set and really committed to getting healthy - I could very easily slip back into old habits (ice cream, chocolate etc!) I am obviously new to the band- I am just getting back to my exercise routine this week - but man I feel great so far! I haven't lost a ton of weight- but I have lost inches- and my back has been a LOT better.... It really is a individual decision - I hope you can figure something out that can help you deal with your back pain! Also- a good support system is essential- the Doctors and Nurses that you will see at the office as well as at home!

Best of luck!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    -- If I hadn't changed my mind set and really committed to getting healthy - I could very easily slip back into old habits (ice cream, chocolate etc!) I am obviously new to the band- I am just getting back to my exercise routine this week -

This is essential in any successful weight loss plan. You have to change your mind set, not just think that lap band is a simple solution. There is so much to consider when doing something like this. There is a risk that comes along with any type of surgery, complications and such.

I also understand there is a considerable amount of time between the initial consultation and the actual date of the surgery, up to many months. I suggest maybe have a consultation, then take the time between making a decision, setting a date and follow up visits to eat healthy and exercise. You might just surprise yourself in how much you can accomplish in such a short amount of time.
  • Verdadera
    Options
    I just got the lap band about 12 hours ago. The pain thus far has been minimal. I'll keep you posted on my progress and maybe it can help you decide if you want the procedure. I have been experiencing some back and knee pain as well. I hope to alleviate these conditions. Please feel free to contact me at any time.
  • sherryred73
    sherryred73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recently had my lap-band removed after almost 4 years. It was difficult for me to eat healthy foods with the band they frequently came back up and I had terrible reflux at night. I only lost weight when it was too tight to eat healthy so I decided to try on my own again because I want to lose weight to be healthy. If I were to do it all again I would have the gastric sleeve instead. Best wishes and good luck to you.:smile: