Question about exercise

Options
Everyday I exercise with Leslie Sansone-Walk Away The Pounds...whether its 1 mile, 2 miles or 4 miles I do one of her dvds everyday.

Yesterday I did 4 miles, today I did 2 miles. A friend of mine actually made me mad by saying I dont do enough that I should be doing her dvds for 10 miles. Are you kidding me??

I think any exercise is good exercise. Her 1 miles are 18 minutes, 2 miles 30 minutes, 3 miles 45 minutes & 4 miles 60 minutes. I was told by my doctor even 10 minutes of some sort of exercise is good & ive heard tons of success stories of weight loss with people who can only exercise for 10 minutes a day.

Should I follow what ive been doing or push myself more? I have RA so its tough.

Replies

• AmberMommyTo2G1B
    AmberMommyTo2G1B Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to your friend. If you can do the 10 mile one then do it. But I wouldn't worry about what he/she says. Sounds like you already know the answer to your own question :)
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with RA. So I know how tough and painful arthritis can be from what she tells me. I say, follow what your body tells you that you can handle and take each day a day at a time. Eat healthy and exercise like you are and I think you'll see results. Can you incorporate weight training or will that cause more problems with your RA?
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    Your friend probably meant well, but really, they don't actually know what's best. Listen to your own body. If your workouts start to get easy, then you should amp it up, otherwise you will eventually stop seeing results. But only you can tell if it's easy or not. That's not for someone else to tell you.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Is it working? If it's working, don't stop. If it stops working, do a little more (more time or walk a little faster). If a little more bothers you RA, then ease up a little. Find what works for YOU, and not what your friend thinks will work for you (or what works for them). Good luck...:)
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    Sorry, what is RA? Is it Rheumatoid Arthritis? If so, then I would say, honestly, doing a 4 mile/60 min walkind DVD is awesome!

I started out with walking DVDs too, and eventually moved on to other stuff. It seems from your signature that you're just starting out, and honest I think what you're doing is GREAT. Half the reason people get burned out and quit exercising is because they do too much too soon. Can you imagine if you tried to do 2.5 hours of walkind DVDs a day??? Um, hello, that would be horrible. Ignore your friend and keep doing what you're doing! :smile:
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    I totally agree - some exercise is better than none. And you should pat yourself on the back for doing the 4mile with RA - I know that can be painful. If one day you can work your way up to the 10 mile then fabulous but you know your limits better than anyone so go with what you can do. You keep up the good work and I wish you the very best!
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It really irks me when people make comments like that. You keep doing what you're doing. I have Fibromyalgia and nerve damage in my left leg...sometimes I just CANT do it. Im not going to listen to people who tell me otherwise.

I think as you [all of us] lose weight, we'll be able to do more and more.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    This really depends on your fitness level and health.

I mean look at it this way. For someone who has never exercised, and is overweight, doing a moderate 1 to 2 mile walk which takes 15 to 30 minutes is great!

Then again, for someone like myself, walking would provide little to no benefit because my body doesn't view walking as anything more than very slightly taxing.

So essentially, it all comes down to what feels like a workout to you. I don't mean you need to be sweating up a storm and gasping for breath, but if you finish the workout and don't really feel like you did much of a workout, well, you probably didn't. It's very relative.

Losing weight is a different issue all together. Generally, you exercise to either burn calories or to improve health in some way (preferably both actually), but if you are simply looking to burn a few extra calories, then walking at a slightly increased pace can be one answer, but if it's better health you're looking for (I.E. cardiovasular improvement, orthopedic improvement...etc) then at a minimum, you should be somewhat winded after the workout. And that should probably be part of a plan that includes moving up to more intense exercises eventually.

Naturally, programs for seniors and those with medical conditions are special cases and don't really follow the same logic.

Hope this helps.
  • faithNlove212
    faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with RA. So I know how tough and painful arthritis can be from what she tells me. I say, follow what your body tells you that you can handle and take each day a day at a time. Eat healthy and exercise like you are and I think you'll see results. Can you incorporate weight training or will that cause more problems with your RA?

the 2 mile has 5lb weights & the 3 mile has a strength band so whenever I do those Im doing strength training.

THANKS EVERYONE! :happy:
  • faithNlove212
    Options

the 2 mile has 5lb weights & the 3 mile has a strength band so whenever I do those Im doing strength training.

THANKS EVERYONE! :happy:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Ladybug,
    You don't just wake up and decide to walk a marathon that morning. Before you do a marathon you should be able to walk 10 miles. And before you get to 10 miles, you have to be able to do 1! Your friend clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. Focus on increasing your endurance and stamina and you'll get to the 30 mins/ 3 x a week that is recommended. Consider talking to your doctor about ways to deal with RA pain while starting out. It may be that you just need to start and transition slower...
  • faithNlove212
    Options
    thanks everyone, I really find great support & motivation from this site. You all are awesome! :happy:
  • faithNlove212
    Options
    Ladybug,
    You don't just wake up and decide to walk a marathon that morning. Before you do a marathon you should be able to walk 10 miles. And before you get to 10 miles, you have to be able to do 1! Your friend clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. Focus on increasing your endurance and stamina and you'll get to the 30 mins/ 3 x a week that is recommended. Consider talking to your doctor about ways to deal with RA pain while starting out. It may be that you just need to start and transition slower...

I basically do the 2 mile which is 30 minutes with 5lb weights 7 days a week. Or I will do it 5 days a week & do the 4 mile-60 minutes 2 times a week so I am getting quite a bit of exercise
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I basically do the 2 mile which is 30 minutes with 5lb weights 7 days a week. Or I will do it 5 days a week & do the 4 mile-60 minutes 2 times a week so I am getting quite a bit of exercise

I hope you don't mind me asking what RA is. I guess I missed that the first time.

***EDIT***
    doh, I think I get it now, Rheumatoid Arthritis? Can be tough stuff if that's what it is. Joint issues always suck. You do what you can do my dear, stick with it and do the best you can, don't push yourself too far, but always try to be conscious of how hard you are working, when ever you CAN add a little extra oomph to it without adding pain, then go for it.
  • haileyco
    haileyco Posts: 68
    Options
    you just keep plugging away. just do what you can do and listen to your body, not your friend. i would like to know what sort of workout this friend of yours does that she is belittleing the AWESOME exercise you are doing! maybe it is a jealousy thing. live for you and no one else. no one else knows your strenghts, weaknesses or you illness and how it affects you....except you. keep on keeping on!!!!!!