Inner Thighs

Options
I am really wanting to tone up my inner thighs... That is my major goal. I really want nice defined legs... any ideas?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    If you find out, I'd love to know :)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    This is my issue as well. I've changed up my exercise this week to include running and Pilates. I also have an old thigh master around here somewhere that I'm going to try. My friend, who's a marathon runner, has amazing legs but she's also very thin. I don't want to be as small as she is so I may just have to deal with a little inner thigh fat.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Inner thighs.

Squats, Lunges, jump squats, sprinting, bent knee jumping jacks (harder than they sound), jump rope.
    seated wall squats (with weight or without, depending on your experience level).
    If you have access to gym machines, wide stance leg presses, wide stance hamstring (or isolated hamstring) curls work as well.

At any rate, all of these can be done with no weight, with light weights or with heavy weight. The heavier the weight, less reps method will give you more muscle mass, the lighter weight, higher rep method will still increase the lean muscle tissue but not build more mass (not enough to notice anyway).

The idea is, no matter which one you do, you do it until you can feel the burn, whether that's 3 reps or 30 rest, and repeat one or two more times. Failure is not really required, but with the heavier weight especially, you'll probably reach failure before the burn becomes more noticeable, many people weight training for muscle mass usually work until technical failure (the inability to perform the routine one more time with good form is technical failure).
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is probably like fifth it sixth hand information so icant promise it is 100% correct but I was told that toning was a buzz word designed to sell exercise equipment to home consumers, if you think about it the body is covered in skin, below the skin is the fatty layer then below THAT is the muscle so the only way to define the muscle is to reduce the layer of fat between the muscle and the skin which is best done thru cutting calories and cardio exercise. If any strength training is used it will increase overall mass but the muscle still will lack definition as the fatty layer still remains. One other myth is th belief that you can target areas for weightloss or toning, unfortuunately we are genetically predisposed to distribute fat around our body in a certain way if. You use a particular muscle it doesn't mean that it consumes the fat nearest to it. The impression I get would be that for you to define your thighs keep cutting calories and concentrate on lots of cv exercise :0)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    This is probably like fifth it sixth hand information so icant promise it is 100% correct but I was told that toning was a buzz word designed to sell exercise equipment to home consumers, if you think about it the body is covered in skin, below the skin is the fatty layer then below THAT is the muscle so the only way to define the muscle is to reduce the layer of fat between the muscle and the skin which is best done thru cutting calories and cardio exercise. If any strength training is used it will increase overall mass but the muscle still will lack definition as the fatty layer still remains. One other myth is th belief that you can target areas for weightloss or toning, unfortuunately we are genetically predisposed to distribute fat around our body in a certain way if. You use a particular muscle it doesn't mean that it consumes the fat nearest to it. The impression I get would be that for you to define your thighs keep cutting calories and concentrate on lots of cv exercise :0)

your initial impression was correct, there is very little truth to this.

Bascially a muscle is composed of a large number of fibers grouped into "muscles" (this is a very simplified explanation). What happens is, when a muscle is not used for a long time, any muscle fiber that is still intact will become dormant. This happens a lot in muscles that are used for daily activity, but never strained, for instance biceps are used frequently even for those who don't workout, but they are rarely taxed, so the muscle has no reason to increase strength.
    So what happens when we train a muscle is it first tries to recruit existing but dormant muscle fibers, when (usually after a few weeks) the muscle no longer has any fibers to recruit, it starts trying to increase the overall size and power of the existing, in-use fibers, normally, adults don't grow new fibers (or rarely, as this is still being studied but so far they haven't proven that you can do it in humans), essentially they just increase the amount of mass in the existing fibers.

Without getting into the technical aspects too much, your muscles will recognize the type of power they need and grow appropriately. Low weight high reps will strengthen the muscle all over and increase endurance, but not increase size very much, this means increased density without getting that "muscle bound" look. High weight, low reps, increases the muscle volume and mass, which gives more size to the muscle.
    Generally, active muscles don't accumulate fat around them. There is the concept of intramuscular fat, but that's usually present in small amounts and really doesn't affect the "look" of a muscle much.

A lot of quick muscle definition changes are because of the increase in energy stored at the muscle (because of the recruitment of new muscle fibers), I.E. more muscle fibers in use, more energy stored at the site of the use. This comes in the form of glycogen (which is a water glucose mix) and helps with short term energy. Although most of the muscular energy comes from the liver, a small amount is stored at the muscle. This glycogen mix can give the person the look of more muscle, it also is a main reason why you don't loose much weight when you start a new weight training routine, glycogen is heavy.

It's true that localized muscle training won't burn fat from that area usually (except in some cases with intramuscular fat, but that's pretty insignificant), so if you're concern is FAT in the inner thigh, yes, cardio and a diet with a calorie deficit is the first step, but after the fat receeds, then specific resistance training will get those muscles in gear after.
  • healthymommy42011
    Options
    we are women.. cardio cardio cardio!! That will get us the results faster than strength training! Now if you want that sexy line going down your leg, then you must do squats, lunges.. but if you want the skinny thighs and calfs.. jog or do the elliptical or stairmaster. On the elliptical set the resistance a little high so you can feel the burning.
  • jordan_vakil
    Options
    I have played softball and volleyball my whole life. So my legs are big.... they are always gonna be big. I just want them to not juggle while I walk and rub together. lol. :blushing:

I'm got an athletic build and like it that way.... just really wanting to lose some weight and tone up.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Last night my trainer showed me how to do these funny lunges..instead of lunging straight foward, throw your leg out to the side a little, (left leg to left side, right leg to right side)...so if you are doing travelling lunges you'll be going in a zig zag. It's challenging to get the hang of, but today my thighs DO hurt!!
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options

your initial impression was correct, there is very little truth to this.

Bascially a muscle is composed of a large number of fibers grouped into "muscles" (this is a very simplified explanation). What happens is, when a muscle is not used for a long time, any muscle fiber that is still intact will become dormant. This happens a lot in muscles that are used for daily activity, but never strained, for instance biceps are used frequently even for those who don't workout, but they are rarely taxed, so the muscle has no reason to increase strength.
    So what happens when we train a muscle is it first tries to recruit existing but dormant muscle fibers, when (usually after a few weeks) the muscle no longer has any fibers to recruit, it starts trying to increase the overall size and power of the existing, in-use fibers, normally, adults don't grow new fibers (or rarely, as this is still being studied but so far they haven't proven that you can do it in humans), essentially they just increase the amount of mass in the existing fibers.

Without getting into the technical aspects too much, your muscles will recognize the type of power they need and grow appropriately. Low weight high reps will strengthen the muscle all over and increase endurance, but not increase size very much, this means increased density without getting that "muscle bound" look. High weight, low reps, increases the muscle volume and mass, which gives more size to the muscle.
    Generally, active muscles don't accumulate fat around them. There is the concept of intramuscular fat, but that's usually present in small amounts and really doesn't affect the "look" of a muscle much.

A lot of quick muscle definition changes are because of the increase in energy stored at the muscle (because of the recruitment of new muscle fibers), I.E. more muscle fibers in use, more energy stored at the site of the use. This comes in the form of glycogen (which is a water glucose mix) and helps with short term energy. Although most of the muscular energy comes from the liver, a small amount is stored at the muscle. This glycogen mix can give the person the look of more muscle, it also is a main reason why you don't loose much weight when you start a new weight training routine, glycogen is heavy.

It's true that localized muscle training won't burn fat from that area usually (except in some cases with intramuscular fat, but that's pretty insignificant), so if you're concern is FAT in the inner thigh, yes, cardio and a diet with a calorie deficit is the first step, but after the fat receeds, then specific resistance training will get those muscles in gear after.

thanks! I've never seen that explanation of the difference between high weight/low reps and low weight /high reps before, i still say that for most people fat would be the main concern but thats definitely interesting!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, our inner thighs are one of the last places to shed weight. Those pesky last 10 pounds? You'll usually find a good part of them there. Best way to get rid of that jiggly fat is to get rid of fat, period. Good diet and cardio!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I love the abductor weight machine if you have access to it at the gym.
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I tried to post an old link that I often refer to...only it's now expired :) Of course, good old-fashioned cardio is the key, but I also like to do some ballet moves when I'm watching tv. I'm sure you could google them, but they are very nice and relaxing, and they are basically different kinds of leg lifts and squats. I have very muscle-y, short legs, and these have definitely improved the tone and look. Use a chair when you do them, too, to simulate a ballet-bar :)
  • chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Zumba and Gilad workouts! I am 5'8. So, legs have always been a body asset, if there is such a thing. Husband told me last night...wow, look at your legs! Haven't arrived, yet. But the Zumba and Gilad workouts target the thighs, especially. I don't know if you're willing to invest financially. But as someone who uses both, they are really worth the investment. Just my two cents worth.