question regarding calories remaining/day

Have I reached my goal for the day in calories even though it says that I have 500 calories remaining? (Because of the cardio) it says I've met my caloric goal yet my calories remaining is at 500. This is what I want right? ...if I'm trying to lose weight? I hope that made sense to u guys, that explanation was really hard to put into words for some reason. Thanks

Edit-nevermind, i found it. Thanks

Replies

• ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    eat some of those 500 remaining if you are hungry, if you are not hungry dont eat any more. you dont have to eat exercise calories back.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Have I reached my goal for the day in calories even though it says that I have 500 calories remaining? (Because of the cardio) it says I've met my caloric goal yet my calories remaining is at 500. This is what I want right? ...if I'm trying to lose weight? I hope that made sense to u guys, that explanation was really hard to put into words for some reason. Thanks

The way MFP works is you are given a deficit with no exercise even considered.

To keep that same deficit you selected, which may already be not so wise, you eat back exercise calories so the same deficit remains.

If you don't, then don't even waste time exercising, because you aren't feeding your body enough to make improvements like you could if you did.

Read the FAQ's if you don't understand why it's happening and how it's supposed to work.

Diet is for weight loss, and you hope just fat loss, but you can make it muscle too.

Exercise is for heart health and body improvement, which may not include weight loss, and may make it worse too.
  • Ok so i SHOULD eat my excercise calories back right? Even thouh ive hit my caloric goal? Maybe im looking in the wrong faqs but i couldnt find anything any answers to something this specific. Thanks again.
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    From FAQ:

"Q. What are Net Calories?

A. We set your nutritional target in Net Calories which we define as:

Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories

What that means is that if you exercise, you will be able to eat more for that day. For example, if your Net Calorie goal is 2000 calories, one way to meet that goal is to eat 2,500 calories of food, but then burn 500 calories through exercise.

Think of your Net Calories like a daily budget of calories to spend. You spend them by eating, and you earn more calories to eat by exercising."
  • Once you workout MFP will give you extra calories to eat from your exercise. So yes, eat the calories back even if you surpassed your initial daily goal. I know that it's a new way of approaching things, but theory is you will fuel and feed your body after working out.