Slow for longer or fast for shorter time?

Hi, I am just getting back into exercising and want to know when at the gym is it better to do shorter fast work outs or longer work outs at a slower pace?
All help would be appreciated. Xxx

Replies

• irvined2
    irvined2 Posts: 20 Member
    Hi,

If you train at a high level of intensity for a short bursts this will do really well. I do a allot of interval training for my sport and an average sesh would be anywhere between 20- 40 mins hard work. This will also Burn fat for hours after too!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    What he said!

If you are training for endurance purposes then do a longer run. For fat-burning and because you hate exercise, HIIT (in any of its forms - whether cardio-based or throwing weights around) is the only way.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    I hate exercise so may have to take this up. Any suggestions for a p*ss weak exercise hating n00b with almost zero stamina for get started with?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    what are your goals? HIIT training is a modality specifically designed with specific goals in mind. Steady state cardio is for different goals all together.

If your goals are specific to performance increase in specific areas then we need the areas you're looking to increase before any recommendation can be made.
  • gillbush123
    gillbush123 Posts: 21 Member
    Thank you every one. I just want to become fit and healthy, obviously losing weight and toning up in the process.
    I want to be able to cope when I return to work after my maternity finishes which will be in feb. ( I have put 84 lb on since I finished work in April)
    I work in a four story hotel, restaurant, bar and conference centre, which has a lot of stares and I do 18 hour shifts.
    The way I am at the minute I will need a lie down after just two hours work. Xxx
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    It depends on how you define "better" and what your goals are.

If you are trying to lose fat while retaining muscle or are short on time, more intensity would serve you better.

If you want to do triathlons, longer and slower is going to be necessary once in a while.

If you need both endurance and strength, then you will need to mix it up with both.
  • irvined2
    For good results I would say HIIT training then, Like a few of the guys said it is all dependent on your goals. However a short interval training session at maximum intensity over a period will shred those unwanted pounds (be it weights or cardio).

Also bare in mind the diet side of things, for instance I have started a new diet this week and accompanied with my training have lost 4 pounds already and its only the fourth day. The diet is the major factor which will help you fuel your workouts and get the most out of it.

Hope it goes well!
  • SHBoss1673
    well, HIIT training is designed to increase specific things. Most HIIT training is designed around either anaerobic threshold increase or a specific muscle group endurance at anaerobic threshold (like Tabata protocol with the quads and hamstrings), where as straight cardio will improve overall cardiovascular levels and slow twitch muscles, but will do little (if anything) for anaerobic threshold.

It's the reason why a professional hockey player can't just go and run a marathon at the same relative performance level as he can play hockey and vice versa why a marathoner couldn't do 20, 50 yard wind sprints at top speed and still be ok to continue playing (like most pro hockey players could), because 1 is trained for high intensity, and one for endurance.

So really, if you're just looking for overall fitness improvement, it should be a mix of all types of exercise (Hybrid like HIIT, cardio, and resistance like weight training), you'll never get awesome at any one of those by mixing all types in, but you'll improve all areas if you do it correctly.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Hiit
  • irvined2
    SHBOSS The ideal thing would be cross fitness work, would you not agree?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Hi, I am just getting back into exercising and want to know when at the gym is it better to do shorter fast work outs or longer work outs at a slower pace?
    All help would be appreciated. Xxx

Yes.

Do both.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Google Fartlek
  • SHBoss1673
    irvined,

Do you mean the branded exercise program Crossfit? If yes, I have no real problem with it, but for a beginner with no experience in form and technique it could be dangerous. It depends on the instructor. Some are great, some suck, so the program itself is fine, but I'd still prefer someone find a really good trainer and take a few sessions just to get assessed and given tips on basic forms and techniques before they go to something like Crossfit.