maintaining once at my goal weight?

Options
I am very close to my goal weight. But now I'm worried about being able to maintain. I haven't been able to find anything on the myfitnesspal site to help me with this. Does someone know?
Plus, I've lost weight over and over before, but have never really learned how to maintain. I'm thinking its time to learn. I don't want to gain weight back again.

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The mistake people often make is they stop doing all the things they did to lose the weight... they stop exercising, stop logging their food, stop watching their portions, etc. Maintaining is the same as losing, but with a little more calories. :smile:

I've been maintaining about a year and a half. I take periodic breaks from logging, but overall, it's no different than when I was losing.
  • knitknutc
    knitknutc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that answer. how many calories to do you drop? how do you know how much? trial and error?
    I just lost another 1.6 this week. my fitnesspal says 31 lbs, but in total 32.6 since Jan., before I started with myfitnesspal. sounds petty to some, but its wonderful to me. each . oz. :-)
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Congrats, Knitknutc! Same question.... Just hit goal today (!!!) and now need to go into maintenance mode. My plan is to figure out my new TDEE, eat at about that, and eat back the exercise calories. Except, of course for today - Thanksgiving!!! Does this sound about right?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether or not your calculated TDEE includes your exercise.

MFP doesn't include exercise in your daily activity, so you'd eat your exercise calories.

Most TDEE calculators do include your exercise.
  • karenb125
    karenb125 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just signed up to MFP a few days ago and when I did I had to choose a goal - whether to lose 2lb or 1lb a week, maintain weight or put on weight. Once you get to target if you change your goal in the settings on your profile to maintain your weight it should give you a new calorie allowance.
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    Depends on whether or not your calculated TDEE includes your exercise.

MFP doesn't include exercise in your daily activity, so you'd eat your exercise calories.

Most TDEE calculators do include your exercise.

Yep, shoulda said I I use "sedentary" in the calculation - so I would eat back the calories. Seems easier that way. IDK the distinctions between the activity levels & everyone has a different opinion! :laugh: