Therapy ending, is this a good way to thank my therapist?

Options
2»

Replies

• vonnywaft
    Options
    Sounds great. I offer therapy as part of my job and I love the personal little gifts I occassionally get. As I work for the UK's NHS we have policies about accepting gifts over a certain value as they could be seen as creating a "conflict of interest" but most of the time it is flowers, plants, art work done by the individual, ornaments for the therapy room etc. Often it's a card or just a heartfelt thank you. For me, knowing i did a good job and helped someone is enough, but tokens of their appreciation are really valued. The thing I like most is when I bump into a client years later in town and they remember me and say how they are doing, even if they have relapsed it's still nice to know they are getting by.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I totally think those are great gifts. Congrats on ending therapy! I know I was really proud of myself when I finished working through many of my issues.

I was in therapy for three years and at the end, I thank her with a card and a small teacup that I thought she'd like from a vintage store.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds wonderful! I know she will appreciate that it came from your heart, and it will mean a lot to her because you really put effort into it.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It sounds great. It is so nice to be appreciated, and in such a personal way is very thoughtful!!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Your gesture sounds not only appropriate but also well thought out. I'm sure your therapist will love that you thought of her!
  • Lasityttö
    Lasityttö Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I'm especially happy to hear that you who have worked as counselor/therapist appreciate this stuff. I don't want to give her something she'll just throw away when I'm gone.
  • skconrad
    skconrad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The true therapist who has helped (and it sounds as though you were successful) would take this as a meaningful gesture! Sounds great.
  • caramel1920
    Options
    I think it's totally appropriate, I keep the cards and notes my clients give me, they mean so much! I cannot, as a therapist accept any "gifts" as they are ethically inappropriate but a letter, or card is okay and the personal stuff means so much more anyway! I don't know about your therapist but I know for me, sometimes it seems as if I'm fighting a losing battle and I'm completely ineffective so I use those as a reminder to keep going because sometimes I am able to help someone who needs it and is ready for it!:smile:
  • Lasityttö
    Options
    I cannot, as a therapist accept any "gifts" as they are ethically inappropriate

I hope that the stuffed animal I made isn't going to be a problem.. Though as I said, it's made by me so it has no monetary value, and it's small enough to be hidden in a bottom of a drawer or something. I didn't even use any extra money on it, materials were some leftover stuff.

Now I'm a little scared, I'd be quite hurt if she turned the gift down, even if there was an ethical issue.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think it would make her day. I think its a great idea go you :smile: :flowerforyou: xxx
  • caramel1920
    Options
    I cannot, as a therapist accept any "gifts" as they are ethically inappropriate

I hope that the stuffed animal I made isn't going to be a problem.. Though as I said, it's made by me so it has no monetary value, and it's small enough to be hidden in a bottom of a drawer or something. I didn't even use any extra money on it, materials were some leftover stuff.

Now I'm a little scared, I'd be quite hurt if she turned the gift down, even if there was an ethical issue.

Don't be, like you said it's something you made, it's not inappropriate at all! I think she'll really appreciate it!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Awe this is so very thoughtful
  • Lasityttö
    Options
    She loved it. :) She also cried a little, I thought that was sweet. I've been really lucky to have her in my life.