Digital or analog scale?

Options
I've got a digital scale now but here's my problem~~ My husband drives truck across the Lower 48 states and I ride with him so when we weigh we are never in the same spot. We weigh every Sunday and last Sunday we were in Utah at 4075 ft altitude and this morning I weighed and it was a 6 lbs gain in Texas altitude 1647 ft....but don't see how that's possible because I've been exercising and eating under my calories. So my question is what kind of scale do you all use?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Your weight won't fluctuate that much with altitude unless you are in a different gravity. Scales are inaccurate. Don't sweat it.
    You're best to leave same scale in the same place and measure when you get there.
    The difference between sea level and 10,000 feet is about 3 oz.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    To answer the question, I use a digital scale

I am not a physicist, but from my basic schooling, altitude has no bearing on mass [weight] but I can see that it may affect scale readings but I would hesitate to say this is observable using bog standard scales & normal conditions
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    yea scales are not accurate and digital scales can b affected by temp of the room
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    My scales have a 4lb difference depending on where they are.
    I've checked and the lower figure is more accurate.

If they show the higher figure, I give them a little nudge. Even putting them in the same place on the bathroom floor (going by the pattern on the lino), some days they'll show the higher or lower figure.

Also, remember women can fluctuate more than men with hormone changes etc.
  • mrspms
    Options
    I say leave the scale in one place...like at home base, and just weigh in there...It won't be as often, but will be accurate and more encouraging that way.
  • saraedens
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and I really can't leave it in one spot. As we only get "home"(we don't have a apt or house we stay at his moms or my families when we have our time off otherwise we are out on the road the rest of the time) every 7 weeks and that's just too long to wait to scale.....but my hips and neck are down slightly; so I guess that's good new!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    I wonder if a more expensive scale might offer better features in this respect - but would probably have to look for one that specifically did an auto-calibration as a feature or whatever.

The other thing I'd consider is making a 'scale platform' with three or four nuts and bolts as feet in a bit of wood - you would then put a spirit level on the platform and make sure it's perfectly level by adjusting the nuts before putting the scales on - that should get you some better consistency.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I used an analog scale when i first weighed in last week. I would get a digital but i know it would drive me bonkers looking at every little change (IE: 165.2 VS 165.7) so i think im going to stick with Analog for now.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Some digital scales only do whole numbers, or halves - my current does it to .2lb, while the old one did it to .5lb.
    I quite like that though, as I can see progress through the week if I'm being steady - less hormonal changes etc thanks to being a bloke, however!
  • mrspms
    Options
    I used an analog for the past several years. Then I decided to buy a digital on sale. It does kinda drive me crazy when I go up, but is very encouraging when I go down...like that :)
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You could try taking measurements every month instead? That way, it doesn't matter where you are, and you only need a cheap tape measure :)
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Most digital scales are fine.
    Make sure you put the scale on a flat surface.

Everybody's weight goes up and down. t's a trend you're looking for.
    One measurement doesn't mean something wrong with you or the scale.
    If you weigh more often, you'll see the trend better.
    Some people use a chart or a logbook.
    Some scales even show you a little graph.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Just another thought:
    Do you have a food scale to weigh what you eat?
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You could try taking measurements every month instead? That way, it doesn't matter where you are, and you only need a cheap tape measure :)

I think this is a wonderful idea!