Rec sports?

Options
I think I want to do something fun, soon, maybe with a vaguely competitive element. Any ideas? Criteria:

- No running or jumping. Or VERY minimal
- No morning meets; prefer not more than 1 practice/week
- Fun, as in, social. An actual game. Biking for hours & hours is not appealing
- At least a little physically challenging (bowling is also not appealing)
- Cheap

It's nice to start having a bit of muscle, but slightly embarrassing not to have a reason to - want a performance goal of some kind!

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine anything physically challenging without running. It seems that all type of sports have some kind of running/jumping involved - tennis, boxing, football, etc. Hmm... only thing that comes into my mind, besides cycling, is swimming...
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine anything physically challenging without running. It seems that all type of sports have some kind of running/jumping involved - tennis, boxing, football, etc. Hmm... only thing that comes into my mind, besides cycling, is swimming...

I know, everything fun involves running :(
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have to second the swimming... or even skating, just relationally. I skate with an adult group ranging in age from 18-85 and levels go from beginner to former national and world-level competitors. Depending on where you are it's either really easy to find something or really hard. I'm fortunate enough to A) live in Canada, and B) live in a university town. There's about 10/11 rinks in my city alone, most of them with at least 2 ice pads. There's generally public skates that go on too. I know our rink on campus has 1 hour (usually longer) FREE public skates over the lunch hour. If you've skated before it's great, if you're just starting out you may want to look into some sort of lessons. I always recommend skating, been skating my entire life and I actually stopped for about a year and a half, packed on the pounds, and in less than 4 months back on the ice took a good chunk of them off again!
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Skating's totally fun, thank you!!! I'm also in the right country for it, yes very accessible :)

My ankles are a bit weak (& my feet are a mess) but I can try & see how it goes! It might even be good for them :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Indoor rock climbing?

No running, but a fair bit of exercise.

Pretty cheap per session.
    Only 'extra' cost for boulder is shoes and most centres will rent these to you.
    Cheap shoes can be got (at a guess) from around $20 second hand or $40 new.

Very social, though not 'a game'.

Excellent for building up overall body strength.
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Volleyball! It's competitive and fun. You burn more calories than you would probably think and it doesn't require running. Most adult rec teams just meet for games or maybe practice once a week it just depends on the team.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Walking club
    Zumba
    Roller skating or roller blading
    Pilates
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    I love all these suggestions! Thanks for your thoughtful replies :) Not tried rock climbing, but worth a shot! Volleyball, I do love - a little worried about the side to side movements, but maybe a brace and good shoes would help. I love any kind of dance :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    See if there's a wall local to you and they should offer an introductory session fairly cheaply.

Or (in the UK at least), if you have any friends that do it they should be able to 'sign you in', so you just pay standard non-member fees and can have a go at no extra cost.
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but a lot of towns/cities now have ladies rec hockey for beginners. I have a bunch of girlfriends that joined and they love it. Good fun, great workout, and still that competitive aspect.