I am so close to a big goal.

Options
I am excited and wanted to share with folks who might understand. My family is supportive but its different when you're on the outside looking in.

In July of this year I began the process for weight loss surgery. I qualified strictly because of my BMI, which was 45.7 (super obese). I thought it was the only way for me to be happy again, but I truly dreaded the process.

In the middle of August I decided to make one last ditch effort to lose it without surgery. I got myself a personal trainer at the local University. I got lucky, she is the director of the fitness center and she is training me for free, I just had to join the gym.

Since then I have lost 29.4 pounds. My current BMI is 40.7 and in 4-5 more pounds I will NO LONGER QUALIFY FOR SURGERY!!!! So in roughly two weeks (2 lbs/week) I will have dropped from super obesity, to morbid obesity, to severe obesity.

The best part is I am so enjoying life again, looking forward to the holidays and my ten year wedding anniversary.

Replies

• FitEndAg_i
    Options
    How wonderful for you, turnarounds are magnificent aren't they! Great Health to You!
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • jilllemar
    Options
    Thanks! I almost cried when I called the weight loss center to cancel my Nov 13th appt and told them I had lost 25 pounds and would not be going through with the surgery.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I hope you get immense satisfaction knowing that you made all this progress through your own will and fortitude, and not through some medical procedure. I'm sure you had lots of support, but YOU DID THIS. I wish you continued success towards your goals :)
  • jilllemar
    Options
    The support has been incredible. Especially from my mother. My husband's always been supportive of anything I do but Mom is a little different. When I started she told me a trainer was a waste of money and I just needed more willpower. After 12 pounds she told me I better never stop seeing her and its the best thing I've ever done for myself.

She's also been more supportive at family get togethers. She used to tell me the same thing, just say no, more will power. Now she tries to help by bringing healthier foods. These seem like little things but they have been so meaningful, I love to text her that I have lost another five pounds.
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. That is wonderful!!
  • asgardiner
    Options
    That's fantastic - well done!

So much so - you get my first ever post in MFP!
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a job well done.. Keep up the great work.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Well done. I'm so pleased for you, hun. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when you called to cancel surgery!!

Glad your mum is treating you better. It's so hard when we get told we need to just have "more willpower" (as if it's something you can pick up in the bargains bin at the local supermarket!). It's almost as "helpful" as "just stop eating!"

Proud of you.
  • jilllemar
    Options
    Thanks Phoenix. It was a WONDERFUL feeling,
  • serenalesley
    serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you really rock for having made such an effective change! :D