100-calorie Pumpkin Wheels

Options
I just made these for Thanksgiving, and when I entered the recipe into the calculator on MFP, they came out to 100 calories per serving. I figured that was worth a share on here, since we're all always searching for less guilty desserts. They taste pretty darn awesome, too.

I used a jar of Pillsbury cream cheese frosting, so you could probably knock the calorie count down even further by tinkering with your own homemade icing.

3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided
2/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
pinch nutmeg and cloves (optional)
1-2 tbsp powdered sugar
1 jar cream cheese frosting

-Preheat oven to 375 (350 for convection) and line a large cake pan or tall-sided cookie sheet with parchment paper. Grease the paper and set aside. I used an 18x12 cake pan, but I've also used a large cookie sheet for this recipe in the past.
-In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks on high until they're thick. Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar and all of the pumpkin.
-In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites on high until they are white and foamy. Slowly add the rest of the sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
-Fold the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture. Add flour, soda, salt, and spices, gently stirring them in.
-Spread into the pan, making sure that the batter is distributed evenly.
-Bake for 12-15 minutes (8 minutes for convection--it came out perfectly this way). The cake should be slightly springy.
-Let cool for five minutes, and then remove from pan.
-Dust another sheet of parchment paper with powdered sugar and carefully flip the cake onto it.
-Cover completely with frosting and then slightly fold the long edge over and begin rolling it tightly together. When it is rolled, use your hands to smooth the powdered sugar into a thin, but even coat.
-Wrap the parchment paper tightly around it and refrigerate for several hours or freeze for 30 minutes.
-Remove and cut into slices approximately 1/2 inch thick. Use a sharp knife and go slowly to avoid smashing the rolls.

Replies

• KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try these for sure.
  • dmf711
    dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yum! Sounds amazing! Do you have pictures?
  • daringstoic
    Options
    Z5cvBl.jpg
  • dmf711
    dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ooooooh...... even better than I imagined!
  • daringstoic
    Options
    They've been a huge hit every time I've made them. Last year, my co-workers demanded that I bring them to our Thanksgiving potluck, and they've also been approved by my dad who has the ultimate sweet tooth. I haven't broken the news to him that they're low-cal yet, lol.
  • caxt03
    caxt03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Looks good:wink: