You let your kids eat what??

Options
14567810»

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My son is one of those kids and I work with kids like this. Believe it or not there are kids that will STARVE themselves. The notion that there's not is complete bull from people who don't get kids with special needs. Although my son's gotten better there are still times he would rather starve. Like tonight LOL.
    I do know of kids who will starve themselves if their preferred foods are removed; even feeding clinics haven't been able to get them to eat new foods. But that is extreme, we are not talking about neurotypicals.

A lot of autistic kids do get stuck on particular foods, especially chicken nuggets, pizza, milk/cheese, tacos, etc. The high gluten and dairy foods.

I had to get my kid off chicken nuggets. You know, the frozen kind? I don't know if its Autism related, or what, but he wouldn't eat anything else. Ever. He would simply NOT EAT. For days.

Eventually, I just stopped buying them. We had a rough week, but he finally got off the nugget kick.

He's still beyond picky. There are plenty of night where he doesn't eat dinner. Gotta pick your battles!

Haha, they'll eat eventually! No kid will actually starve themselves.
  • ginamcoyle
    Options
    If I didn't eat what my mother gave me she would serve it up to me for my next meal. I'm not a parent, so I'm probably going to get flamed here, but when did parents start pandering to kids like this? I'm just curious, did the parents of this generation do that? Mine didn't and certainly the previous generation couldn't afford to.

If my parents were having something I didn't like, my mother always made me buttered noodles. I can tell you if my mother did what yours did, I would have starved to death.

We were very poor, there is no way my mother could have afforded to put two different meals on the table. I don't know, times change. It seems junk food is so cheap now as you can bulk buy it. I sound old, ha!

Same, I ate what my mother made and if I didn't want it, too bad. I went into whole foods the other day and almost fainted at how much everything was. I could buy everything off the value menu at taco bell for the price of like 1 avocado. Not saying I actually would do that obviously..
  • mom2pne
    mom2pne Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    No I don't! I'm a very picky eater! I won't eat all fruits and most veggies. For fruits its the texture and the sweetness, but I used to eat cantaloupe, apples, grapes, bananas and raisins. But since I was a teen they make me gag. I'd like to get myself eating them again, but the thought reminds me of what happened as a teen and I chicken out. My oldest is a lot like me. :embarassed:

My second eats everything, except olives. :bigsmile: My twins love most fruits and only some veggies. But my youngest who is 2.5 won't try any fruits and veggies I purée and add to the foods he will eat. He only drinks water and milk.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I commented earlier, but thought I'd add more. I have a different situation in that my fiance's daughter just moved in with him this past summer after living her first 7 years with her mom. She moved in with us because her previous home was not a good environment for many reasons and there was legal stuff involved. ANYWAY - she was raised on a diet of microwaveable food, McDonald's, treats whenever, all processed food. I'm extremely surprised she does as well with us as she does and usually eats what I fix. I try to be fair and not make her eat things I KNOW she does not like (so far, it's just tomato soup), so if I want to make tomato soup for my fiance and I, I'll make her an alternative because I'm knowingly fixing something she doesn't like.

That being said - she's a sugar addict. She loves junk food and loves sweet snacks and we're trying to switch her over to a healthy style of eating as much as we can, but it's difficult when that's how she's been raised. When my fiance and I have children together, it will be a completely different story. I (hopefully) will breastfeed exclusively until they reach the point they can have solids, and then look into what a previous poster did and do baby-led weaning. From then on, they will have a completely different diet growing up - minimal processed things, sweets, etc. I want to hopefully raise them on homecooked meals and as much whole food and healthy habits as I can so that they grow with that and keep those habits into adulthood.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I am shocked by what some parents let their kids eat. Is it any wonder it's not just adults that are overweight (In the US this problem is pretty epidemic of you ask me) but is it any wonder that so many kids are overweight too?

I know so many people that started their kids on soda at very young ages. Where McDonald's and other fast food places are daily if not weekly staples in their diets ... and their kids diets. Cookies, cakes, candies, chips, all the time.

I think for some parents it's just easier to give in and appease the kid instead of holding firm and actually being ... the parent.

my 2 cents.
  • kazj17
    kazj17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make different meals most nights, one for my husband then something for the kids & then my own. Sometimes we all eat the same but it's very rare. It's not ideal but we all eat reasonably healthily & kids pallettes & food preferences change as they get older so it does get easier. My 15yr old son will now eat food he wouldn't dream of touching when he was younger but my 10yr old daughter is going through a "picky" stage, neither of them are anywhere near being overweight. Just keep healthy yourself & it will get better.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    I'm not a parent so all I can go by is what happened when my brother I and were kids. We were raised by our grandmother (so old-fashioned values) and the rule was pretty clear - you eat what's in front of you or you go to bed hungry. My grandma said she wasn't a short order cook and we lived very modestly so there wasn't enough money for separate meals. If we ate out at a restaurant it was for special occasions only.

Also, we were not at all overweight... if anything we were on the thin side. We were not allowed to stay inside the house unless it was raining or we were doing homework. Otherwise we were playing in the fenced in backyard or the empty lot next door to the house. Nintendo time was pretty limited too. I'm 32 so it wasn't that long ago. Looking back, life was pretty simple.
  • DavisAlex
    DavisAlex Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am shocked by what some parents let their kids eat. Is it any wonder it's not just adults that are overweight (In the US this problem is pretty epidemic of you ask me) but is it any wonder that so many kids are overweight too?

I know so many people that started their kids on soda at very young ages. Where McDonald's and other fast food places are daily if not weekly staples in their diets ... and their kids diets. Cookies, cakes, candies, chips, all the time.

I think for some parents it's just easier to give in and appease the kid instead of holding firm and actually being ... the parent.

my 2 cents.

i do not have kids, but it can be pretty wild when you see what some kids eat. i don't think kids should be eating mcdonalds, or any fast food for that matter, more than once a month. when it becomes something that is fed to them like 3-4x a week, it's kind of disturbing. i remember this one time i was at a mcd's, and this clearly overweight little girl (poor thing), who had already eaten her meal, was given money to go order more chicken nuggets. it made me sick! but at the end of the day, it's the parents that are feeding this stuff to them. it's messed up!

i now really understand the importance of getting kids to eat healthy at a very young age. the longer a kid eats unhealthy, the harder it will be to change it. i didn't like all vegetables when i was a kid, but i liked some, and i did not eat mcdonalds 3-4x a week. childhood obesity is a huge problem.