Need an effective strength routine.. preferably no weights?

Options
SW: 186
CW: 158

Hey guys!

So, as it happens that I had to stop Insanity a couple of weeks ago due to knee pain, I've reverted to elliptical training and running. Unfortunately, this means I've almost completely stopped strength training. I had this issue before Insanity as well, but I cannot find a solid routine to stick to. I would REALLY like to work on abs/arms/butt.. do you have any effective no-weight/dumbbell routines you do to work these areas?

Please be as detailed as possible (times a week, reps and sets, rate at which reps/sets progress, and your success with this routine).

Thank you! :)

Also: If you have any videos you'd like to recommend, that works too!

*there is such a thing as resistance training, which does not require weights. And Insanity incorporated some pretty intense strength training too.. it just did it simultaneously with cardio.

Replies

• samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Jillian michaels dvds. I am currently doing the 30 day shred. I do it every day and it is about 27 min long. ( I get it free off youtube) But you do need 2-5 pound weights or full water bottles or something. I really am enjoying what weight training is doing for my body because before I would just run and do zumba every so often. I also like jillian's video "no more trouble zones" which targets arms, butt, and abs. But it is pretty intense and about 50 min long. I do it maybe once a week. Hope this helps a little! I would recomend at least trying the 30 day shred level 1 since it's free on youtube =)=)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I dont know but im glad you asked because I want the same thing- ST without weights.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    None of the programs mentioned thus far would be classified as strength training. For the most part, strength training = weights. Insanity, etc. are cardio/conditioning programs.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Theres's a book and an app called something like ' you are your own gym' do a search in this forum about that v
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Strength training without weights? You're negating progressive overload to produce hypertrophy if you don't use weights.

Your own body weight will only take you so far as in press ups etc., I'm afraid you'll have to use weights or look for an alternative form of exercise as both compound and isolation exercises with free weights is the best and most effective method of reducing body fat and promoting lean muscle growth.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Strength training without weights? You're negating progressive overload to produce hypertrophy if you don't use weights.

Your own body weight will only take you so far as in press ups etc., I'm afraid you'll have to use weights or look for an alternative form of exercise as both compound and isolation exercises with free weights is the best and most effective method of reducing body fat and promoting lean muscle growth.

Sorry but - not true.

Not saying weight training is not a legitimate way to increase strength - it is, but it is also perfectly possible to progressively load the body itself to keep increasing strength beyond push-ups without resorting to weight training if you don't want to. It is also quite addictive to see how far you can go with just your body and a few props.

Have a look at a website called "You are your own gym" - also a book and an e-book you can download of the same name.

Once you start I'm sure you'll be hooked and you can take your gym pretty much anywhere. Also recommend you buy a pull-up bar - the best exercises by far for biceps, torso and back.

Plenty of challenging stuff on You Tube as well - have a look at Barstars on You Tube.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/

There are some bodyweight workouts on NerdFitness. Maybe these will fit what you are looking for.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

male-gymnast.jpg

Gymnast disagrees. He doesn't lift weights, but he does do a lot more than planks and push ups.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Whenever this particular topic comes up, people tend to drift into talking about what CAN be done, versus what WILL be done. Yes, you can transform into an absolute ripped, shredded beast doing bodyweight only work. Will you? Hell no. The gymnast pictured above me is in the Olympics, for pete's sake. Virtually every waking hour of his life for the last decade has been devoted to type of training that produced that physique. The Barstarzz? Those guys are ****ing awesome. Those guys also hang out in the park all day long doing set after set after set. Do you have a job? Then you probably won't end up looking like Hannibal the King.

Yes, you can build an AMAZING body without any weights at all if you're willing to start doing muscle ups at Venice Beach in the middle of the afternoon. But nobody here is talking about muscle ups and ring dips; they are talking about planks and pushups and inverted body rows. No. Not going to get there.

That Nerd Fitness advanced bodyweight is a solid workout. But if you triple it, you've barely reached the point where it's going to do anything for me. How do I know? Because I do approx. triple that work for my metabolic conditioning once per week. That means I'm doing 3x the work for my CARDIO routine, not my strength routine.

There's a lot you can do, but like Cali Girl mentioned, you end up having to do more and more till overuse injuries become something to worry about.

Please be as detailed as possible (times a week, reps and sets, rate at which reps/sets progress, and your success with this routine).

Really? We can suggest sites and books, but asking for us to type complete details is a bit much, no? You Are Your Own Gym was a good recommendation. Amazon has it in stock right now.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yeah, that's good advice. But, just from a purely educational perspective (so people don't misapply their understanding even to people that do spend all day training at a physical job), it is sometimes nice for people to understand the full range of possibilities (though it is not usually realistic for most people and can lead to overuse injuries).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yeah, that's good advice. But, just from a purely educational perspective (so people don't misapply their understanding even to people that do spend all day training at a physical job), it is sometimes nice for people to understand the full range of possibilities (though it is not usually realistic for most people and can lead to overuse injuries).

Totally agree with you BP. But it quickly drifts from "Hey, looks what's possible!" to "This can be you if you switch out bench presses for pushups!". They see it as a shortcut to going to the gym when in reality the gym IS the shortcut.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Boot camp staples: Push ups, sit ups, lunges, squats.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Totally agree most people on here just won't have the time to build the bodies we are seeing on the photograph above or Barstarz using bodyweight only - not enough hours in the day and yes, high repetitions are a concern.

But if you are not aiming for a more muscular physique but are looking to maximise the strength of the physique you already have and to maintain lean mass while reducing fat then bodyweight becomes a real alternative to weight training.

My main activity is yoga and to have too muscular a body would not stand in my favour though I do need both isometric and moving strength to enjoy yoga to its fullest and I find the balance you need to do a lot of body strength exercises really works for my needs.

More generally, I think there is a place for both weights and bodyweight training; especially pull-ups.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Totally agree with you BP. But it quickly drifts from "Hey, looks what's possible!" to "This can be you if you switch out bench presses for pushups!". They see it as a shortcut to going to the gym when in reality the gym IS the shortcut.

I agree. Going to the gym IS the shortcut.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Going to the gym IS the shortcut, but not accessible to everyone. In that case, bodyweight exercise offers another alternative and is a great workout in it's own right. Not superior - just different.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Going to the gym IS the shortcut, but not accessible to everyone. In that case, bodyweight exercise offers another alternative and is a great workout in it's own right. Not superior - just different.

I agree that different people can have different goals.

I do body weight exercises and weights. Both are necessary for me personally and my own personal goals as a dancer and just wanting to be fit.

There are some things I can achieve a lot easier with weights than with body weight exercises and other things I must do for body weight exercises. And each of those things I can use in ways that help me with my past injuries. I'm happy with what I am doing right now, and when that gets too easy I need ways to progress. But, I would only recommend it to people that have similar goals and issues as me.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    strength routine with no weights??? so its just a routine then?
  • cmfselby
    Options
    Do some research on resistance training.....that's prolly the best idea for you. :)
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv

They do mostly bodyweight, especially in the old videos (they seem to be using more and more equipment lately).
    All their videos are free.

http://www.bodyrock.tv/

Nerd Fitness as suggested by one of the commenters above is also good.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options

I agree that different people can have different goals.

I do body weight exercises and weights. Both are necessary for me personally and my own personal goals as a dancer and just wanting to be fit.

There are some things I can achieve a lot easier with weights than with body weight exercises and other things I must do for body weight exercises. And each of those things I can use in ways that help me with my past injuries. I'm happy with what I am doing right now, and when that gets too easy I need ways to progress. But, I would only recommend it to people that have similar goals and issues as me.

Agreed - as a yoga practitioner my strength needs are possibly similar to yours in ways.

I'm possibly not seeing the whole picture for other peoples' needs. For most, the quickest easiest option is the weight room with some bodyweight exercises as appropriate (pullups come to mind); depending on your needs and goals.