"Sassy Water"

Options
I got the recipe from this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/80678-what-can-i-drkink-other-than-water?hl=sassy+water#posts-1107092

hoping to find something that will help me get over this plateau I thought I was over, but I'm not *growls* but I really don't like the taste, but I read it works really well. Any ideas what I could do without losing the benefits from it?

Replies

• gennyvieve
    Options
    when i first tried the sassy water i thought it was totally nasty----but srsly, it grows on you and now i LOVE it! i can't wait until cukes are in season so i can have it in the fridge all the time......
  • CrazyAdventures
    CrazyAdventures Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    when i first tried the sassy water i thought it was totally nasty----but srsly, it grows on you and now i LOVE it! i can't wait until cukes are in season so i can have it in the fridge all the time......

Does it? Oh good! I'm having a hard time choking it down right now LOL I like to drink a lot at once, and I'm sipping here like a sissy-la-la because I don't like it LOL
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it at first - but it grew on me... I add a little more mint than the recipe I had found called for. I also don't like quite as much lemon.... but that's because the lemon seemed to drown out most of the other flavors for me.
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    DO you eat the thinly slice cucumber??? Or just put it down the garbage disposal? I;m sure it would make it minty lemony fresh?????
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    There are no magic ingredients in the sassy water that would make you lose weight. I know the girl's post says she believe it is the sassy water, but if she actually followed the Flat Belly Diet 4 day jump start (where sassy water originated) it was probably more from diet than the water. Plus, the jump start is more to help with bloating and water weight than losing weight. They don't try to claim that the weight loss during the jump start is anything more than water. IMO, I don't really see where sassy water is going to help you with break a plateau.

**Editted to add that I'm not trying to be a buzz kill. I actually just read the Flat Belly Diet book and I plan on starting the diet on Sunday. I just think you should look at different avenues for breaking your plateau. If drinking regular water won't break it, I don't see where water will break it just because you add lemon, cucumbers, ginger, and mint.
  • phollywood8785
    Options
    what is sassy water?
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    what is sassy water?

The Sassy Water Recipe

2 liters water (about 8 ½ cups--I use my koolaid pitcher)
    1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
    1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
    12 small spearmint leaves.

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and let flavors blend overnight.

Drink the entire pitcher by the end of each day.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    well, ginger aids in digestion, and cucumber and lemon act as diuretics... You'll most likely just be flushing out water weight, not fat.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book or really looked into it that much, but I suspect that this acts as a diuretic and encourages water loss. A quick Google search of the ingredients seems to support this. I'm guessing that is what's going on for any weight loss that seems to be connected to drinking this. Not that reducing water bloat is a bad thing!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    well, ginger aids in digestion, and cucumber and lemon act as diuretics... You'll most likely just be flushing out water weight, not fat.

Ha! Yup. Posted while I was writing my response.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    GMTA! :flowerforyou:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree that it's not a "magic pill" to losing weight. It did however help with water retention and every once in a while when I feel "blah" - it's a good pick me up. I did not do the flat belly diet... just drink the water every once in awhile.

If you are going through a plateau - your best bet is to look at what you're eating - do you need to increase your calories? decrease your calories?
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    break out of your workout "comfort zone"!
  • CrazyAdventures
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I thought I'd give it a try, in case it was a "cleansing" type of water recipe. I hadn't actually considered it would help me lose water weight. I know they tell you to use lemon and maple sugar for those cleansing diets, so that's what I thought this was, that the ingredients came together some how in that way, naturally.

I switched up my exercises routine end of February to start the 30 Day Shred, and it's shaping me well, it helped me break through the plateau at first, but I'm teetering back up, seemingly, and I think it's because I'm in desperate need of a cleanse. I just can't do a full cleanse, fasting and all, because I breastfeed.
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Actually, if you are looking for a non-fasting cleanse you should take a look at the flat belly diet jump start. That is exactly what it is. The sassy water is part of a 1,200 calorie cleanse meant to rid the body of extra water, air, food waste, and other bloat causing yucky stuff. I don't have the book with me, so I can't tell you what all it entails of the top of my head but it is normal balanced diet, although I admit it is a little low on calories for some. I plan on starting the jump start on Sunday. If you don't want to bother with getting the book (I checked it out from the library) you could always check my food diary and just copy what I eat. I don't think there are any real involved recipes other than the sassy water, but if there is you can always ask me and I'll share. I'll be blogging during the whole thing, too. Good luck!! I hope you find something that works. :flowerforyou:
  • CrazyAdventures
    Options
    Actually, if you are looking for a non-fasting cleanse you should take a look at the flat belly diet jump start. That is exactly what it is. The sassy water is part of a 1,200 calorie cleanse meant to rid the body of extra water, air, food waste, and other bloat causing yucky stuff. I don't have the book with me, so I can't tell you what all it entails of the top of my head but it is normal balanced diet, although I admit it is a little low on calories for some. I plan on starting the jump start on Sunday. If you don't want to bother with getting the book (I checked it out from the library) you could always check my food diary and just copy what I eat. I don't think there are any real involved recipes other than the sassy water, but if there is you can always ask me and I'll share. I'll be blogging during the whole thing, too. Good luck!! I hope you find something that works. :flowerforyou:

Thanks Crystal! I really do want to get the book, I just wish it were sold in a store here so I could get it today!:)
  • CrystalT
    Options

Thanks Crystal! I really do want to get the book, I just wish it were sold in a store here so I could get it today!:

That I can understand!! I was on a waiting list at the library for almost a month before it was my turn. I'm just too much of a cheap-o to buy a book like this unless I've looked at it. I haven't seen it in stores around here, either. I really wasn't expecting that I would want to try it. I thought I might get a few tips or recipes. But I starting skimming it last Friday and finished on Sunday!!! I really loved the book. It was scary and interesting to read all their research on good and bad fats. And their diet is a healthy, well-balanced plan. If it wasn't, I'd just pass on by. I'm ordering it from Amazon today in hopes that I manage to get it before the copy I have is due back next Friday. I doubt that I'll be able to renew it since it is so popular. I think that if i have some sucess, I'll probably end up getting 1 or both of the cookbooks, too.