7 days no loss

Options
I have been eating no more than 1200 calories a day for 7 days, and exericising every day. Most days are 30 minute walks and twice this week went to the gym for swimming, cycling and some light weight lifting (arms/back).
1200 calories has been super hard to do, but I did it! Every day for 7 days. I was so excited before I stepped on that scale to see a lbs or two disappear, but alas, nothing. Same as the week before. I am 5"3" and 182 lbs, and thought for sure it would have dropped to 180! Maybe it's just water but I feel like that's what I always say and then eventually get discouraged and go back to my old ways. Need some motivation! How many weeks did it take you to see the scale move?

Replies

• waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Not unusual to for your body to react this way. If you haven't been exercising regularly your body doesn't know what to do. Give it at least two more weeks and you should see a big difference.
  • sammkate
    sammkate Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will keep at it!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight, your muscles retain water for repair when you largely increase your exercise, however you may be restricting your calories and driving your metabolism to stall. I'm 133 pounds and rarely eat under 1400 (check my diary for the past few weeks, todays not a great example) and lose a pound a week, I probably average 1600 cals a day if you take into account weekends and don't do as much exercise as you. Work out your BMR (mines about 1350) and try not to eat below that.

This is just my opinion based on what works for me, good luck!!!
  • sammkate
    Options
    Thanks, I will try another week or two at 1200 and if still nothing I will see if eating a bit more helps. Thanks for your feedback :) I really appreciate it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Another thing... some digital scales have a 2 pound "memory." If your weight is within two pounds of the last weight on it, it will show as the same weight. It's supposed to let you ignore normal fluctuations, but instead it makes people more frustrated when they think they're not losing.

Mine does that. What I do if my weight seems stuck (ie, it's the exact same weight to the tenth of a pound) is weigh myself holding something that weighs at least two pounds, like a couple of shampoo bottles or a cat or whatever's handy, then weigh myself again without the extra weight. That resets the scale.
  • sammkate
    Options
    Interesting! It's actually one of those manual scales at the gym - not digital. The ones where you have to move the weight until it's balanced.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    1. Weight loss isn't linear
    2. 1200 calories is probably too low
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If it was "hard" to eat only 1200 calories per day (your body was trying to tell you something!) why do you want to continue doing that? Honestly, eating too few calories will NOT make you lose weight faster in the long run or help you to KEEP IT OFF.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I have been eating no more than 1200 calories a day for 7 days, and exericising every day. Most days are 30 minute walks and twice this week went to the gym for swimming, cycling and some light weight lifting (arms/back).
    1200 calories has been super hard to do, but I did it! Every day for 7 days. I was so excited before I stepped on that scale to see a lbs or two disappear, but alas, nothing. Same as the week before. I am 5"3" and 182 lbs, and thought for sure it would have dropped to 180! Maybe it's just water but I feel like that's what I always say and then eventually get discouraged and go back to my old ways. Need some motivation! How many weeks did it take you to see the scale move?

I hope you see this reply as being motivational!

I am 5` 4" and was eating 1200 cals for a year and lost 42 lbs from 182lbs to 140lbs. I ate back all my exercise cals.

Once you get into the mindset of eating your 1200 cals and working hard and eating your exercise cals it does get easier believe me :-)

Just try to stick with it. It really does seem hard when you start and your weight is up and down, or not even down (dang) but I promise you that you will get there if you stick at it.

I have been in maintenance for the last couple of months and pretty much don`t worry about food anymore.

Good luck xx YOU can do it xx
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    try switching up the exercise.. i had stalled for 2 weeks and started the 30 day shred (search it on youtube to get free access to all three levels, you do each level for 10 days then move to the next level). It helped me loose 11 lb in 35 days :)
  • robinr515
    Options
    Try taking measurements. I was frustrated earlier today when I realized I'd only lost 3 lb. in the last 3.5 weeks, but when I measured I realized I had lost 1.5" in each thigh, 2" on my waist, and 1" on my bust. Realizing I had lost inches, I decided to try on several pairs of jeans that didn't fit me two weeks ago (three pairs I could get on, but not button, and the other two I wasn't able to get all the way up). When I tried all of them on, they all fit! The scale can sometimes be very deceiving.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Personally my weight comes off in chunks. One week I'll be maintaining and the next week it's 5 lbs down. A lot of things factor into the number you see on the scale, keep at it :)