135 is too thin for 5'8"

Options
Can anyone tell my male friend on here that he's too skinny weighing 135 at 5'8". Really I'm joking but everyone at work tells hi
To put on a few pounds but he wont listen. He did great losing 50 lbs though

Replies

• Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Sorry. My dad was 6'2" and 135 pounds soaking wet for years. 135 at 5'8" sounds ok to me.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Wow...ouch.
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    135lbs at 5ft 8" is a healthy weight. If he is happy with that weight then should it shouldn't matter what anyone else says.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    his BMI is 20.5, which is still in the 18-25 healthy range.
  • RainxPain
    Options
    Sounds fine to me.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If he dropped 50 then they probably are not used to seeing him at a normal weight for his height. If they just met him off the street would they think the same? People are used to seeing overweight people.
  • btkkterry
    Options
    I know I'm a little thin now, that's why my goal is to add 5 or 10 lbs of muscle weight. But I know you are joking, I don't look that thin in my pic
  • christyjo37
    Options
    I know I'm a little thin now, that's why my goal is to add 5 or 10 lbs of muscle weight. But I know you are joking, I don't look that thin in my pic
    You look scrawny, especially your legs lol
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Calling someone scrawny is offensive, just saying
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think you look great and shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks, but you. As long as you're healthy of course, you can't please everybody so just be pleased with yourself :smile:
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You look scrawny, especially your legs lol
    Said the person with no picture and absolutely nothing on their profile :grumble:
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I kinda wonder about that actually, of course I'm female but I was told that at 5'7" and my ideal weight should be 135, I was like really?? I was aiming for 145. But I would think that if mine were 135 his should be a bit higher
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

I agree. You two (OP and btkkterry) DO know each other outside of MFP, right? Because if not I find it really odd that you keep joking about this person's "scrawny legs"
  • btkkterry
    Options
    I kinda wonder about that actually, of course I'm female but I was told that at 5'7" and my ideal weight should be 135, I was like really?? I was aiming for 145. But I would think that if mine were 135 his should be a bit higher
    We work together and everyone jokes all the time, its all in fun
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I agree. You two (OP and btkkterry) DO know each other outside of MFP, right? Because if not I find it really odd that you keep joking about this person's "scrawny legs"

Haven't you all heard the news? It's okay to mock someone's body if they're scrawny...

...because scrawny people don't have feelings...or souls.

:huh:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

Haven't you all heard the news? It's okay to mock someone's body if they're scrawny...

...because scrawny people don't have feelings...or souls.

:huh:

^this
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it depends also on your bone structure. I'm 5'8" & would look like I was near death at 135. I look better no lower than 155 since I have a large bone structure. In talking with my doctor she suggested that I don't go under 160.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good weight to me.

My 25 year old son is too thin, but he's in the Peace Corps and is 6'2 and 135. And naturally skinny. He went in a muscly 152.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    my husband is 165 and 6'3. I don't think 135 is to thin. 50 pounds lost and looking to put on some muscle sounds really healthy.
    Your constant "I'm just joking" still sounds hurtful to me. Even if you know him. I've had some horrible things said to me by friends who are "just joking"
    Maybe you could try being supportive.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    We work together and everyone jokes all the time, its all in fun

Ok good. I was thinking 'why is this random internet stranger so concerned about your physique??'