weight loss and birth control

Options
So, I desperately need to find a good birth control, but despite what people say, I am one of those women who just gain on birth control. I gain weight really fast and I've tried several different kinds, but my biggest worry is that hormone birth control turns me into GODZILLA! Really. I hate how irritated I feel and I'm just plain mean
So, I was wondering if anyone has tried the IUD? It is supposedly hormone free and doesn't cause weight gain or mood swings. I really want to know more about it and if anyone out there has used it or something similar. OR even if there is a new pill out there that won't pack on the pounds and has at least minimimal mood swings.

Replies

• JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    I'll be interested in hearing responses for this one too! I have a terrible time losing weight on BC!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Nuva Ring!! I'm such an advocate...... I have a lot of complications on birth control normally (spotting, mood swings, etc.). I have tried a bajillion (approximately) forms of the pill and also depo. I love the nuva ring, have been using it for a little over a year and am not seeing any of the side effects I usually do.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't know about IUD, but the kind I take is Alesse or any of it's generic forms similar to the generic Lutera-28. It abolished my cramps and migraines (now just minor headaches), and my period is light and only lasts 3 days. I don't seem to have any mood swings nor have I gained weight and I don't have issues w/losing weight. My only weight gain was because of my sedentary desk job, overeating, and no working out. Still have a sedentary desk job, but I'm eating less and working out more and it's working!
  • birgithooker
    Options
    I had Mirena after my son was born because the hormone levels are lower and it didn't effect my breastfeeding. I liked it and I didn't have any problems on it. I lost 5lbs when I started myfitnesspal and I was on Mirena at the time so I don't think it hindered my weight loss. I never had spotting and I didn't have any complications or side effects.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm on solia, it's an oral contraceptive, I've been on it since I started my journey and I've had no issues. Previous bc's I've tried I had the same problem as you, I balooned! I can't have mirena or any of those due to health issues, but they kidna creep me out anyways.

I believe Solia is a generic Yaz/Othello, which obviously have been in the hot spot lately... but even with my health issues I've had nothing negative with it.

Good luck, I think it's best to discuss this with your Dr.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about the mirena iud which does have hormones, but it's more of a low dose. Not sure about the traditional IUD. According to what I've read it causes heavier periods and cramping. See below:

"Both the ParaGard and the Mirena IUDs can cause longer, heavier, and more painful menstrual periods, but this is much less common with the Mirena. The increased blood flow may cause anemia."

"While most women who stop using IUDs are able to become pregnant, IUDs can have negative effects on a woman's fertility. If perforation, embedding, or pelvic infection occurs, the uterus or tubes may become damaged and lower the chance of pregnancy. In cases of severe damage or infection of the uterus, a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) may be required, resulting in permanent sterility. The synthetic hormone in the Mirena IUD can cause a delay in return of menstruation and fertility after it is removed."
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
  • elizabennett
    Options
    There is a whole post on the Mirena IUD. It's called Calling all Mirena Users. Hope that can help you!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Of course everyone is different, but I actually lost weight when I started on birth control. I have endometriosis so I am on it to control symptoms. I take Leena, it's a norethindrone/ethinyl estradiol tri-phasic.

I do, however, notice that although I don't get "*****y," I'm much more emotional.

Good luck!
  • raybukm
    raybukm Posts: 1
    Options
    I had an IUD (Mirena) in for 1 1/2 years but never had any problems with weight gain however I had other issues with it & my doc said it be best to have it removed. So they took it out & inserted the Implanon (birth control that is inserted into your arm) & I really like it. I have had it for about 3 months & haven't noticed any weight gain or had any bad side effects with it. I can't say the IUD is a bad thing because my sister has had hers for almost 3 years now & hasn't had any trouble with hers at all. I liked both of them. The one good thing (at least I think!) I haven't had a period in over 2 years! I hope this helps, I know everyone's body is different but I thougth I would share my experience.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I use Yaz...oral contraceptive. It's an oral contraceptive as well as its treats people who have PMMS (i think those are the right acronyms). Anyways, I have not gained a single pound on this pill...it only has 4 inactive pills (much better than a whole week), and I haven't had any side effects. Of course there will be people who have heard bad things about it, because with about any sort of drug/medicine/procedure there tends to be a minimal amount of people with side effects. But, do what you are currently doing- ask around---ask people you trust too, and ask your doctor to tell you all the pro's/con's of each specific kind you are thinking of..

I've used Yaz for over 2 years and have loved it. No mood swings, light periods, no spotting for me, no cramps....I actually don't mind the Time Of the Month now...in fact, I think there is an evil thing in the back of my head that now says "Its your TOM...you have to crave something"...because my body really doesn't crave it...I think I secretly want the excuse to! haha! But, I have recommended this pill to my friends who are also looking for some options! Downside...it costs me about $66 a month! My insurance only covers like $2...lame! The generic won't be coming out until sometime next year I do believe.... or at least I hope!

good luck in your search!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm on Nortrel. Had no problems at all losing weight. Birth Control pills have been proven not to put weight on you, but Depo Provera has.
  • nurseandi
    nurseandi Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm on Loestrin 24 Fe for years. made me gaine 10 lbs but i don;t get my period and so other symptoms of a period which is awesome. I am interested in trying the nuvaring though
  • veggieheadie
    Options
    I use Yaz...oral contraceptive. It's an oral contraceptive as well as its treats people who have PMMS (i think those are the right acronyms). Anyways, I have not gained a single pound on this pill...it only has 4 inactive pills (much better than a whole week), and I haven't had any side effects. Of course there will be people who have heard bad things about it, because with about any sort of drug/medicine/procedure there tends to be a minimal amount of people with side effects. But, do what you are currently doing- ask around---ask people you trust too, and ask your doctor to tell you all the pro's/con's of each specific kind you are thinking of..

I've used Yaz for over 2 years and have loved it. No mood swings, light periods, no spotting for me, no cramps....I actually don't mind the Time Of the Month now...in fact, I think there is an evil thing in the back of my head that now says "Its your TOM...you have to crave something"...because my body really doesn't crave it...I think I secretly want the excuse to! haha! But, I have recommended this pill to my friends who are also looking for some options! Downside...it costs me about $66 a month! My insurance only covers like $2...lame! The generic won't be coming out until sometime next year I do believe.... or at least I hope!

Is PMMS when you turn into a monster a few weeks before your period? Because if so, then I definitely have that problem. If Yaz helps that I might have to look into it. My kids and husband hate me the week before my period. Thanks
  • veggieheadie
    Options
    I had an IUD (Mirena) in for 1 1/2 years but never had any problems with weight gain however I had other issues with it & my doc said it be best to have it removed. So they took it out & inserted the Implanon (birth control that is inserted into your arm) & I really like it. I have had it for about 3 months & haven't noticed any weight gain or had any bad side effects with it. I can't say the IUD is a bad thing because my sister has had hers for almost 3 years now & hasn't had any trouble with hers at all. I liked both of them. The one good thing (at least I think!) I haven't had a period in over 2 years! I hope this helps, I know everyone's body is different but I thougth I would share my experience.

That's really good to know. What sort of issues did you have----(hope that I'm not being too nosey). I'm just worried about spending that money to have one and having something go wrong.
  • veggieheadie
    Options

It is a really good thread. Thanks for finding it for me.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    it's PMDD pre menstrul disforic disorder (I believe that's how disforic is spelled) and yes it's like pms to the extreme!
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options

Is PMMS when you turn into a monster a few weeks before your period? Because if so, then I definitely have that problem. If Yaz helps that I might have to look into it. My kids and husband hate me the week before my period. Thanks

I use Yaz too and lost 8 pounds the first month I started using it. I also do not feel at all like I'm on a birth control pill and as my insurance doesn't cover it either, I am still willing to pay the $75 bucks a month for it because I like it that much! The only thing about yaz for me is I do occasionally get cramps during my TOM which I never really did before. However my periods are much shorter and lighter, so I'll take it!
  • veggieheadie
    Options
    That's great to know. I have heard some people lose weight on Yaz. I didn't believe the woman who told me, she was so rail thin to begin with anyway---so that's great to know. Thanks. I'm also looking into the copper IUD or paragaurd IUD, has anyone heard of that?
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i sure hope you all are right bc right now i am the shot and well ive really havent been ablt to lose but i not looking for a drastic weight decrease. i will be starting yaz in the next two weeks. with the shot i hate i have been spotting for about two weeks and i my body feels bloated i just want to have a period and get over it. but i did notice the yaz had just the four pills. so hopefully it does help with the weight loss. i know i weighed my self after i had my baby and i was at 146, igot the shot 6 weeks after i had bell and now well ive gained about 6 lbs and ive been eating right (not all the time) but majority and i do workout average about 4 times a week so after reading your post im kinda excited. also my cousin has the iud and she said she has put on a lot of weight. and well she really has. but thanks for theadvice even though this was not my post..