What was your breaking point?!?!?

Options
I was going through my old blog posts. Some dating back to Jan. 2011. I could be way past my goal weight. I even found a blog post from Jan. 3, 2012 where I set goals to lose 30 lbs. Seeing how I aint really lost nothing that really hits me hard. Its a hard slap across the face. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I feel like I'm the only one that has failed this many times.

I want to get healthy more than anything. But can't seem to find out why I keep letting myself fall. I really think I have reach my breaking point!!!! I'm 23 years old and type 2 diabetic since last October. I'm gonna die if I dont lose weight

What was your breaking point or the day you finally said enough is enough and starting losing weight?!?!?!?!?

Replies

• janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Borderline diabetic and hypertension (the lower number was a 3 digit number).
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Looking at my daughters are realizing what a bad example I was setting for them.
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    WOW 3 digit is scary. Hope you are doing better!
  • BlackBarbieBABY
    Options
    When I was closer to 300 than I was to 200. I decided that was bad enough.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    When I saw that, despite my shortness, I was about twice as wide as anyone else in my sister's wedding pictures. I couldn't keep believing that my weight was all genetics and out of my control.
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yall all have great wake up calls!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When I reached the same weight I had been at 9 months pregnant with my second child.
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Here's another post with this same topic if you want more answers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/801718-what-was-your-aha-moment
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I saw an old picture of me holding my newly born daughter on the couch. I was disgusted by how I looked but more I could see that I was not as happy as I should have been. I looked horrible and I know I felt horrible.
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When I realized I was 34 and about to live the same diabetic, hypertensive life my mother led. Now, I am not in danger for diabetes, and my blood pressure is normal. It feels great. :)
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    When I was at the top of my yo-yo again -- feeling it in my knees and back, unable to do activities as easily as I used to. I knew I'd be in trouble if I didn't do anything about it. I also have a family history of diabetes and heart disease, and I didn't want to go there. As a longtime caregiver I wanted to make sure I didn't get sick, myself -- the job is hard enough as it is.
  • jhassan1980
    jhassan1980 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When my size 16 jeans were too tight because I was eating take out for dinner every night of the week.
  • cathrinboerma
    cathrinboerma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When dh said that he was scared that i would develop the family trait of type 2 diabetes, chronic renal failure and early death ...

Seeing the look in his eyes I said to myself that 'i have to do it ...'

We plan to grow old together, be grey nomads and enjoy the great great grandchildren.

This is a bucket list tick that has to be fulfilled!!!
  • olympian41
    olympian41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I found out I have a heart condition (arrhythmia) - they said "it's a good thing your heart muscle is in good condition, keep working out - it's a necessity because if your muscle is weak it's a whole different ball game."

I'm not sure if it was a breaking point as much as a wake up call.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    ive been trying for like 12 years (im 26)... my breaking moment was when my baby's daddy left i decided that as a single mum i needed to offer a man a hot body (i had been trying years before this though).. so i started beginning of 2012... in July, I hadn't really changed a lot, but I met my now gorgeous man and he has been super supportive and motivational... i found MFP and ive been on here 1 month, lost 4kgs (8lb) and who knows how many cms... i didn't measure myself until only a few weeks ago but last week alone i lost 10.5cm! I get out of bed before everyone else 5 mornings a week and go for a 4km run (walk, im getting there)... ive decided its my time, i deserve it and i realise the only thing truly holding me back all these years is i was scared of who i could become.... why should i be scared of hot, awesome and desirable???? i deserve it! and so do you
  • McBatty
    McBatty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I joined cross country and started running sprints with the girls and I couldn't keep up with them like I used to beable to and I was really embarassed because I knew it was from the weight gain. I went on an extreme diet and lost it all again. I became faster. seeing the number drop will be motivation enough trust me! Its just the first five pounds are tough! Get into something like biking/jogging/ sprinting/swimmming something you enjoy even walking and set yourself up with a goal. You can do it!
  • ToniTime2012
    ToniTime2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Tired of being seen as part of the problem in America. Every where I turn all I hear about is a NEW discovery about what causes weight gain. How obese America has become....then they show the clips of the generic fat people on a street. Movie star photos are plastered every where when they lose an ounce. We are obsessed with weight. I'm tired of being one of those people. I just want to blend in the crowd. I'm afraid I may show up one day as the generic fat person on the street!
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    In January 2010 ,Looking at my horrendous cycle and being terrified of being "surprised in a white skirt"....There was hair growing in places that shouldn't have been and it got me down.At my heaviest I was nearly 185lbs or 84kilos. My mother turned around and said at her heaviest when she was 9 months preggo with my sister,she weighed 79 kilo's. It brought tears to my eyes and made me ashamed of myself

That was probably breaking point for me. I lost 50lbs that year and kept if off fro 2011 but have now regained just over 40lbs so I'm back again needing support and encouragement.

Any help appreciated :)
  • Want2bfit81
    Options
    I totally feel you on this!!! I always look back at old pics and remember myself saying I want to lose this weight by a certain time and then that time comes and I am still at the same weight! I am wanting to get focused and get on this road to a healthier/fitter me!
  • Devoninski
    Options
    I think for me it was admitting that I had a problem with binge eating and going to therapy to work on it. Additionally, my husband and I came close to the big D a few months ago, and I think that made me realize that I was just sailing through life without putting much effort into anything. I have really changed a lot in the last year, and finally feel ready to tackle my weight head on!