Too much sugar?

recently i started paying attention to how much sugar i was eating. i mean i have a sweet tooth, if i can fit it into my calories i like to have a bit of chocolate. but i seem to be eating about 3 times more sugar than i should, even without any crap, mostly from fruit and dairy. an apple and some yogurt and i'm over the limit. has anyone else noticed this? should i be concerned?

Replies

• Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Some sugars are okay, but added sugar is what you want to watch. Yoghurt's tend to have a lot of sugar that you should try to limit, try greek or natural yoghurt.

Full fat milk is better than skim because they add sugar for taste.

Ingredients on packaging are listed by weight, try not to eat anything that lists sugar (or one of it's many names) as one of the first three ingredients.
  • I wonder the same. I'm constantly above the sugar limit. Even if I don't have a bowl of sugary cereal, 2 fruits and a tbsp of honey is enough to show the red numbers. Is there anyone who stays under? I'm curious to see their diary!
  • Harlequin16
    Harlequin16 Posts: 102 Member
    I don't watch my sugar intake because most of it is from fruit :)
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    I'm ALWAYS over too. Looking back at my diary I can see where a lot of unsuspecting sugar is coming from, like my instant oatmeal, grapes, and yogurt. So I am planning on experimenting for the next week or so to try and stay under. Hopefully it works.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    As a diabetic I can speak to sugar LOL.

Milk has lactose = sugar
    Fruit has fructose = sugar
    Some veggies (carrots) have fructose/sucrose = sugar
    Honey = sugar, well not really but your body reacts to it like sugar.

Here's a sobering fact. 1 cup of grapes is equal to the sugar content of a Snickers bar. Dried fruits are even worse because you have to eat more to be full and the sugar is more concentrated.

But the point is really the kind of sugar. Yes fructose is a natural sugar and is much better than ANY processed sugar. It's really hard to keep your sugars under the limit, but if you are a non-diabetic person it's really not a big deal. Everything in moderation!

Sodium is the real enemy LOL.
  • yay thank you all i'm not too worried now
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    best time to eat sugar is after weight training ..... worse time is when you wake up.... not sure if that helps ;-)
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    I usually don't count sugar from fruits of vegetables into the total sugar count for the day. When looking at my sugar intake I look at the sugar in breads, candy, chocolate, lattes/mochas/drinks, etc :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    ah honey honey...
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    ah honey honey...

doot doot dooo dooooooooooo
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Sugar is just a subset of carbs. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to track it separately.
  • best time to eat sugar is after weight training ..... worse time is when you wake up.... not sure if that helps ;-)

Worst time surely is before bed, isn't it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    best time to eat sugar is after weight training ..... worse time is when you wake up.... not sure if that helps ;-)

Worst time surely is before bed, isn't it?

No time is really the worse time.