Bad foods 'in moderation' IIFYM

Options
123457»

Replies

• jessicae1aine
    Options
    When I started this, I didn't quit eating ANYTHING. Some things had to be modified (like, now we use 4% fat beef, and have just changed to 1% milk), but nothing at all has been removed, just cut into more reasonable size servings. The idea that you can't have those cookies or chips (or pizza, or whatever it is you enjoy) because they'll make you fat isn't going to work for most people, but moderation is doable.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    "You can have anything as long as it's in moderation"

"You can eat anything as long as you meet your micronutrient and macronutrient goals"

Seriously?

Imagine sitting in front of the TV watching your favorite program and you are allowed to have 12 pieces of potato chips and 3 cookies.... You eat the food and tell yourself it's enough, but you are sitting there with all the residue of the chips and cookies in your mouth and while looking back in the kitchen you see the box of cookies looking right back at you.

Doing this is gonna have you hungry in 45 minutes...

Sure there are people who can do this, but I never understood eating bad foods 'in moderation.' It's like telling an alcoholic to just have one drink at night and telling him he will be OK when in reality, most alcoholics won't be able to do it.

yes, in moderation they are ok.

binging on those items is no longer moderation
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    That was extremely hard for me but it just takes mindful eating practices to get through this.
    Thank you for that line.

The key is mindful eating. Focus on your food and eating rather than a TV program, game, etc. and you will feel fuller and more satisfied because your brain is fully understanding that your body is receiving nourishment.

Moderation is great and what I subscribe to but without the mindful aspect it won't work as well.
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    IIFYM can be a good thing or it can be a formula for failure. That's up to you.
    I live on a very tight budget but I work hard to eat right MOST OF THE TIME. Everything I eat, I log honestly. That doesn't mean that I won't eat things that some people don't feel is good for you. It just means that I'm eating as realisticly as possible and doing that as closely within my macros as possible. Yes, I eat healthy. Yes, I try very hard to make sure that I get enough veggies, protein, and Yes, I exercise and try not to eat back all my calories. (which, by the way, I've never actually done)
    IIFYM works for me most of the time. If I find myself slipping back into old habits, I tighten up my own requirements for myself within the dietician's guidelines set for me and carry on. I'm human. I make mistakes
    This is the only way that I can make "a diet" work for me. This is about a lifelong, lifestyle change that I'm accomplishing.
    You take care of your lifestyle changes in the way that works for you. I'll work on mine. If you need to be rigorous in your own requirements for your diet, go for it. I am too, but in my own way.
  • ShadowChaser16
    Options
    Uh some people have more willpower than others I guess because I'll frequently only have like 5 chips and save the rest...
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I read a book called "Mindless Eating"...fascinating stuff.

I am another of those people that can't do an all or nothing approach. I try to eat healthy all week long so we can eat out once on the weekend. I try to make intelligent choices when eating out, but sometimes it's nice to splurge a bit. If I felt like I could never eat out again and never enjoy foods I like that aren't as healthy, I don't think I could do this. The key is not to let those once-in-a-while splurges turn into every day splurges!
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    not everyone here is addicted to food, and its up to that person to decide if they can just have a treat and stop

^^^^ Very true. And as one trying to break my "addiction" to sweet stuff, I find it's best for me to abstain. I joined MFP two weeks ago and because I am logging pretty much everything I eat I have stopped with the sweet stuff. No oreo doublestuff, no donuts, no ice cream etc etc. Day 15 now, and I must admit that though the cravings can pop up sometimes they are not nearly as intense as when I allowed myself to indulge.

The mind is a very powerful thing and it can resist any temptation if you take an uncompromising stand.

My wife is not addicted to food and I'm somewhat envious of that, and she doesn't understand why moderation isn't in my vocabulary when it comes to sweet food.

I do intend to test the waters when my birthday comes up on 15Oct. She makes a wicked carrot cake.
  • sallychristmas84
    Options
    Comparing that to alcoholism is, in my view, ridiculous. Some people are going to be addicted to food, yes, but 1) alcohol changes the way the body and brain function in more detrimental ways than say, sugar or fats. 2) alcohol is the volume that alcoholics can drink it is much more dangerous than even the 200 grams of sugar binge people can eat, and 3) alcohol is NOT necessary for daily functioning, unlike food.

So really, what it's saying is if you have a certain food you love, don't run away from it. Me, personally? I will fully admit I have a sugar problem. I LOVE sugar. I even have to add sugar to my water or else the water tastes bad. But aside from that, I'm fully healthy. There is NO reason for me to shame myself for letting me spend 150 calories on candy corn. I don't use it as a vice for anything. My cravings aren't so strong that the rest of my life goes on hold. It isn't hurting my health. I'm simply more content with my diet when I still eat some sugar.

Now then, the saying doesn't always apply... some people who have real problems with food MIGHT have a certain food that they cannot moderate at all. If they're obese or it is causing terrible health problems, then yeah, cut that out. But even then, I think part of their health and fitness goals should be to look inside and figure out WHY they have those problems with insert food here. Then, they can try to add it back in moderation if they so have the desire. It'd be a long process, but you know, have a spouse or somebody close give them one oreo and not have the bag available anywhere (maybe take away the keys?) and see how they respond...

Of course that may just be my inner scientist wanting to do an independent experiment :P But really, while I was never super addicted to foods, I had problems stopping with sugary candies. I limited myself to only a few pieces a day, and while it was hard, it helped so that now I don't need to keep eating sugar even when I want it. It's been helpful, and I think more people would keep the weight off if they didn't think about what they "can't" have.

An alcoholic in "recovery" can never have another drink of alcohol, without the (high) chance of "relapsing" back to where they were before their period of sobriety. That being said, a "food addict" that has been able to abstain (in "recovery") by elminating that very foods that cause them to over-indulge, might in-fact "relapse" if those said foods are consumed (similar to a relapse of an alcoholic). Comparing an alcoholic to a "food addict" I believe is good analogy because it's the behaviors you are comparing- not necessarily the way the alcohol/substance/food effects the body. For instance- 1.) "Substance/food" seeking behaviors- when the individual is feeling the urge to use/eat and is looking for the substance/food of choice- even if it means going to the store to purchase it, 2.) Hiding- most alcoholics/food addicts at some point resort to hiding their "addiction" from the people that know them, 3.) Isolating- depending on the severity of the "addiction" a person can choose to stay by themselves (vs being with family/friends/loved ones) in order to indulge their "addiction" and/or to continue to hide the severity of their "addiction", 4.) Self-medicating- some individuals resort to substances/food for comfort, in an attempt to escape whatever it is that is bothering them; granted food doesn't produce physcially intoxicating or numbing effects of alcohol, it can still mentally make a person feel better.