dilemma, i hate my belly but i love food

Options
I really really hate my fat belly. None of my clothes look good, I feel unattractive and dont look or feel too good. I LOVE food though. All of the worst stuff for me too like cookies, donuts, ice cream. I know it is fine to enjoy these in moderation but I just want to eat such large amounts. Not only do I love the taste but eating is also comforting to me as I have depression and anxiety. Sometimes I just think I love food too much to get to my goal but then I look in the mirror and feel like crying about how big my belly has become from eating such large amounts of unhealthy food. Thanks for listening to my vent I guess i just wanted to get that off my chest. happy thanksgiving ya'll

Replies

• YolandaSaez
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!...Your not alone! I can relate to you. You can do this. Your going to find all of the motivation that you need on this site. I keep reminding myself of summer 2013 and how i'd love to go swimming and wear shorts without complaining how fat my thighs look and feel comfortable in my shirts with out my muffin top! Use your reason of losing weight keep you motivated. Thats what I'm doing =] good luck. feel free to add as a friend.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Umm... This is simple. Do you like being fat more than eating too much? You can't look good and overeat. True story.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I love food. I am prone to bingeing due to anxiety/depression as well. Exercise really helps with that I find.

Honestly, you just have to make a choice to eat for weight loss if that's what you really want. Find a way to deal with your feelings so you're not stuffing them down with food. Get to the root of your issues.

Your other posts indicate you only have 10lbs to lose? You shouldn't have to alter your caloric intake too much then, so long as you are OK with losing it slowly.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes nothing tastes as good as skinny feels
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Umm... This is simple. Do you like being fat more than eating too much? You can't look good and overeat. True story.

Agree....make a decision.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you had anxiety and depression and that you liked carb loading as part of your comfort food eating. have you sought help for the mental health issues? I too suffer from depression and anxiety and at my lowest points i overeat so much that i put on over 70 pound (on top of the large amount of weight i already had), and during those times i also found it hard to control my cravings and make better food choices. however, when i got help for my depression and on some medication (though some did contribute to my weight gain and i had to be switched off of that medication) i was better able to loose weight and control my eating. dont get me wrong - i still love my donuts and cookies and i still have some i just find it easier to pass on them or indulge less often. feel better and good luck.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If you still want to indulge in ice cream search the shelves for the LOWEST amounts of calorie, fat and sugar possible. They always have low calorie ice creams and cookies and they honestly taste just as good. Increase your workout and try to eat foods with more protein, it keeps you feeling full for longer
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Learn to love your belly! Seriously. Google Kate Harding and read some of her posts. Look into fat acceptance. :D

Also to the "you can't look good and overeat" person... No.
    There are all sorts of good looking people who overeat, both fat and thin.
  • Ilikeyoursleeves
    Ilikeyoursleeves Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Learn to love your belly! Seriously. Google Kate Harding and read some of her posts. Look into fat acceptance. :D

Also to the "you can't look good and overeat" person... No.
    There are all sorts of good looking people who overeat, both fat and thin.

Yes!! :flowerforyou: This is what we all need to to learn as a society. It's about HEALTH.

OMG When will this nonsense end?
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I found something from the Whole30 website that really motivates and hits home with me..

Eating healthy is NOT hard, quitting heroin is hard, beating cancer is hard, choosing vegetables over a slice of cake IS NOT HARD.

I understand that suffering from anxiety and depression makes things more difficult for you. I myself have had issues with anxiety in the past but I've found that the more I wallow in self pity and let myself get upset over how I don't like my body the more bad decisions I make food-wise. I know it seems harsh but complaining that you hate your tummy isn't going to change your tummy, either make the mental and emotional commitment to change your habits and get the body you want or don't complain about it, "put up or shut up" in short. I know that seems really harsh and unfeeling, I have been where you are with hating how I look and it took me over six months to finally stop complaining and overeating and finally start to choose the right foods, not feel sorry for myself that I'm having a chicken salad wrap instead of pizza and start loving myself and treating my body like I'm proud of it.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    I found something from the Whole30 website that really motivates and hits home with me..

Eating healthy is NOT hard, quitting heroin is hard, beating cancer is hard, choosing vegetables over a slice of cake IS NOT HARD.

I don't really agree with that quote. Comparing it to physical addictions and deadly diseases seems unfair, just because it isn't either doesn't mean it isn't a challenge. Eating healthy can be very hard at times, depending on how you define "healthy eating". Especially if you are used to using food as your emotional outlet. It gets easier with practice of course, just like anything else, but losing weight is not without struggle for most people.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

I don't really agree with that quote. Comparing it to physical addictions and deadly diseases seems unfair, just because it isn't either doesn't mean it isn't a challenge. Eating healthy can be very hard at times, depending on how you define "healthy eating". Especially if you are used to using food as your emotional outlet. It gets easier with practice of course, just like anything else, but losing weight is not without struggle for most people.

I agree with you, cloud.
    Just because one thing is easy for one person doesn't mean it's easy for another.
    Also, things don't get easier for a person just because they know something else is hard. It's like saying lifting 50lbs isn't hard because lifting 100lbs is harder. <_<
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options

I think the quote puts things into perspective to be honest, if it doesn't work for you fair enough but it really changed my attitude. Sure eating healthy isn't always as easy as "okay I'll make a meal from scratch tonight instead of buying KFC" but it's a hell of a lot easier than a lot of other things that people have to face in life.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

I think the quote puts things into perspective to be honest, if it doesn't work for you fair enough but it really changed my attitude. Sure eating healthy isn't always as easy as "okay I'll make a meal from scratch tonight instead of buying KFC" but it's a hell of a lot easier than a lot of other things that people have to face in life.

Unfortunately making a meal from scratch instead of getting fast food isn't actually easy for everyone.
    People have varying circumstances. Due to illness I literally COULD NOT prepare even a sandwich for months. It was a huge struggle to get to the grocery store to even buy food.
  • SavannahStarves
    Options
    going by how you described your relationship with food, you might have binge eating disorder): I have depression, anxiety, and ednos so I know the signs... Maybe try Yoplait Yogurt. They have some delicous flavors including desset flavors. Also check out hungry-girl.com. They have some awesome low cal recipes for desserts, and even regular day to day meals. Chocolate pudding cups can be delicious and low in calories as well. Some more subsitutes are frozen yogurt, fruit with whip cream, cinnamon apples, 100 calorie pack twinkies, oreos, and cupcakes. And remember, if you don't buy it you can't eat it!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    PRETTY MUCH: If you want to lose weight, you will do everything possible to lose weight
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    PRETTY MUCH: If you want to lose weight, you will do everything possible to lose weight

The quickest way to lose weight is to cut off a body part.
  • spngbob
    spngbob Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love Mars bars. This past Halloween was terrible weather so we had LOTS of candy left. Mainly Mars! I decided on a sunday that every time I wandered into the den to get one, instead I would turn and head downstairs for the exercise bike. Happy to say, no Mars Bar intake so far! The bike started as a distraction, now it's actually something I do almost every morning!
  • Natihilator
    Options
    I think the quote puts things into perspective to be honest, if it doesn't work for you fair enough but it really changed my attitude.

Fair enough, if it changed things for you then that's great.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    ah...I just had a 2000 meal catastrophe but I'll be back tomorrow...