Punching Bag any advice or thoughts on this one

Options
Hi I need your help please I have been wanting a punching bag - I feel I can really benefit from the aggressive nature of it taking out my frustrations and all -my current fitness level is morbidly obese- active here for 30 days- lost 9 lbs am at 341 my highest was 370 I get most of my cardio from riding a bike I have put 60miles on my bike since the beginning of Nov and just over 100 since I began riding it. I log everything every day I am serious I am living a new lifeway. so I saw this one in the Bed Bath and Beyond Flyer and was wondering if anyone has used it- what your thoughts are about it??
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18499584&initialframe=4&catname=deccirc

thanks for any help
RaNae
aka RaNaeLuvsLuzn
Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!, i have wanted one for awhile now!
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ditto! My friends are going in on one for me for Christmas... just have to find which one I want!!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi I need your help please I have been wanting a punching bag - I feel I can really benefit from the aggressive nature of it taking out my frustrations and all -my current fitness level is morbidly obese- active here for 30 days- lost 9 lbs am at 341 my highest was 370 I get most of my cardio from riding a bike I have put 60miles on my bike since the beginning of Nov and just over 100 since I began riding it. I log everything every day I am serious I am living a new lifeway. so I saw this one in the Bed Bath and Beyond Flyer and was wondering if anyone has used it- what your thoughts are about it??
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18499584&initialframe=4&catname=deccirc

thanks for any help
    RaNae
    aka RaNaeLuvsLuzn
    Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time

So I see youre thinking about getting married....
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I have no idea how you get that from what I wrote in 34 days it will be 29 years since I met my husband and we have been married 25 years
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

I have no idea how you get that from what I wrote

Dont believe I woulda told that if I were you.....(punching bag = hubby)
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    What kind of punching bag are you thinking of? Heavy bag? Speed bag? Bob? there are different kinds for different purposes.
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options
    What kind of punching bag are you thinking of? Heavy bag? Speed bag? Bob? there are different kinds for different purposes.

I didn't know that there are different purposes I just know when I see a girl on tv hitting one that someone is holding one of the big ones I think I can do that I want to do that the link I posted above is of a big one that stands on a post it says it comes with a workout dvd it is 79$ I need to up my metabolism I want to increase the strength of my muscles while burning fat I thought I might accomplish both while moving around the bag??

What are the purposes of or differences between them? if u don't mind sharing
  • BronTonyRollyBeau
    BronTonyRollyBeau Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi,I wanted a punching bag long ago but think i enjoy the boxing gloves and having someone hold the pads as I punch,giving motivation. .I used to do Win Chun(kung fu) years ago and punching was part of the routine.
    My Trainer said I have good strength etc,and I felt good doing it.Ahh feels good lol : )
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the one you want is a bob. Well, at least that's what we called him at the Dojo I work at because it has the face and torso of a guy :laugh: It's on a platform and can bob side to side when you hit it but stands upright again. The heavy bag usually dangles from a chain and tends to be heavier. That one and the bob are good for punches, kicks, etc. The difference that I know of between the two is that one might offer you more resistance than the other. As with the speed bag, that's the smaller bag that hangs somewhere either at or above eye level (can't remember which) and you have to punch rhythmically or it goes nuts. It helps with speed and coordination. That's actually my favorite one. So much fun when you get a rhythm going!
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options
    Sounds like the one you want is a bob. Well, at least that's what we called him at the Dojo I work at because it has the face and torso of a guy :laugh: It's on a platform and can bob side to side when you hit it but stands upright again. The heavy bag usually dangles from a chain and tends to be heavier. That one and the bob are good for punches, kicks, etc. The difference that I know of between the two is that one might offer you more resistance than the other. As with the speed bag, that's the smaller bag that hangs somewhere either at or above eye level (can't remember which) and you have to punch rhythmically or it goes nuts. It helps with speed and coordination. That's actually my favorite one. So much fun when you get a rhythm going!

Thanks so much this clarifies a lot for me I am going to get the one I have seen on sale then it is closest to the BOB
    Have a great Holiday
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to answer your question but I did boxing training when I was younger and fitter. We used the heavy bags that hang down from the ceiling and also dd some sparring in the ring!! It was good exercise and we all came out of the gym every week feeling so confident and energised.
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options
    I don't know how to answer your question but I did boxing training when I was younger and fitter. We used the heavy bags that hang down from the ceiling and also dd some sparring in the ring!! It was good exercise and we all came out of the gym every week feeling so confident and energised.

Wow u are just full of surprises that is so cool Might the one I am gonna get is from what I can tell alot like the big one that hangs but is on a post on the ground I plan on putting it near my tv so I can follow the exercise dvd that comes with it. soo Cool that you have done that u will be able to give me pointers.
    Hugs
  • jlzking
    jlzking Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been boxing for 6/7 years now and I can tell you , it is one of the most incredible sports, for fitness, for confidence and for stress relief. When I started I couldn't do a 3 minute round on the bag without wanting to die, but I fell in love with the sport and went from there to full contact boxing, and then MMA. Get yourself a heavy bag - they are easier to work with than a bob for when you are starting out, more surface area as well, and if it is hung right (hehehe) then you can start adding in kicks!

Good luck :)
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a concentration bag and I love it! There is nothing like putting on the gloves and pounding that thing! Amazing stress relief and a good workout too!! This bag moves so it's great for agility. I can't recommend it enough. Best of luck on your decision.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Get a heavy bag. By far the cheapest and best performing, assuming you have somewhere you can hang it.
  • BronTonyRollyBeau
    BronTonyRollyBeau Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My partner laughed and suggested recently that I get the Bob,I think its good especially if your thinking of someone that annoys you. .Still like the idea of someone spurring me on.