Viking Diet, what do we think?

Options

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Why is it called a "viking diet" I'm pretty sure they ate the same thing as other people at the time maybe with just more protein. What's next the Swahili diet? Zombie diet? 50 shades of twilight diet?

This sound like just another diet repackaged with a catchy name that will make people follow it.
    The zombie diet: eat nothing but raw meat. No fruits, vegetables, grains, breads, pastas, etc. The meat should ideally be still on the bone and ideally be human. :laugh:
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Why is it called a "viking diet" I'm pretty sure they ate the same thing as other people at the time maybe with just more protein. What's next the Swahili diet? Zombie diet? 50 shades of twilight diet?

This sound like just another diet repackaged with a catchy name that will make people follow it.
    The zombie diet: eat nothing but raw meat. No fruits, vegetables, grains, breads, pastas, etc. The meat should ideally be still on the bone and ideally be human. :laugh:

Zombie diet: brains...braiiiiiinsss...braiiiiiiinnnnssss
    Or for the discerning vegetarians, there is the Vegan Zombie diet: grains....graiiiiinssss...graiiiinnnnssss
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I don't do fad diets but the name VIKING diet conjures up memories of the nasty concoctions that Rose on The Golden Girls would come up with. I think they all involved pickled herring. Hmm no thank you!
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you explained the diet. I live in viking country i.e. Minnesota and the viking diet here is beer, brats, pizza, hamburgers etc very unhealthy - lucky football season is only so long.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

Zombie diet: brains...braiiiiiinsss...braiiiiiiinnnnssss
    Or for the discerning vegetarians, there is the Vegan Zombie diet: grains....graiiiiinssss...graiiiinnnnssss

brains...grains, lol
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    This just sounds like traditional English food - stuff my Mum used to make me when I was a kid before Pizza, Curry and Pasta became UK table favourites. It's sort of a default setting for Northern European diet.......
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options

There's nothing called the viking diet, and it's not a diet in the weightloss dieting meaning of the word diet (hope that sort of made sense). It started as a revolution against the idea that all finer foods were inspired by the French cuisine, and there were some innovative chefs like Claus Meyer and Rene Redzepi that decided to make nordic produce modern and cool. Noma (short for Nordic Food in Danish) has been awarded the best restaurant in the world for the past three years, and some claim Copenhagen to be the new food capital of the world. It's basically all about eating natural foods that are in season, which is a lot healthier than processed crap, but the new Nordic kitchen is not about weightloss.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/apr/30/worlds-50-best-restaurants-2012-noma
  • Arrabindi
    Options
    I'm so glad you explained the diet. I live in viking country i.e. Minnesota and the viking diet here is beer, brats, pizza, hamburgers etc very unhealthy - lucky football season is only so long.

And here I thought Scandinavia was viking country. Never knew they actually came from Minnesota...
  • supafly419
    supafly419 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think it is quite interesting and worth looking into another way "evolution".
    We just developed food way to fast during the last centuries and our bodies did not have the chance to adapt that fast.
    E.g. the stone age man where eating way less carbs. No bread, no noodles,.... We eat carbs in quite big quantity every single day.
  • ferrytrip
    Options

And here I thought Scandinavia was viking country. Never knew they actually came from Minnesota...

Lets not let logic or history get in the way here. This place is full of Scandanavians and a mysterious food called "hot dish"
  • Arrabindi
    Options

Lets not let logic or history get in the way here. This place is full of Scandanavians and a mysterious food called "hot dish"

What's "hot dish"? Never heard of it.
  • ferrytrip
    Options
    avro001

As long as you stay away from high fat processed foods & eat a variety of healthy foods - I think you'll be fine no matter what label is put on it. I'm sure you will do well
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    But the real question... is there pillaging involved?
    Yes, plundering as well
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Copenhagen as the "new" food capital of the WORLD?
    Senseless. Paris continues to have more restaurant in the top 20 than any other city, followed by NYC. If you go by those new flashy lists.
    Guide Michelin all the way. ;)
  • ferrytrip
    Options
    Hot dish is a baked casserole. It usually has a cream soup base to it with meat, carbs and veggies added. The favorite around here is Tater tot hot dish. I'm not from Minnesota so it's still new to me. There's even a spaghetti hot dish.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    just another fad diet like meditaranian, south beach, paleo, raw food, blah blah blah... just count cals and macros, exercise, and be consistant.

Mediterranean isn't a fad diet. It's a food pattern followed by some Countries around the Mediterranean Sea. It's recognized by Unesco as cultural heritage. Most people living in those Countries will in fact follow it, but will never say "Hey, I follow the Mediterranean diet", because it's not a diet plan, but just their eating habits.
    It involves the use of local products like olive oil, tomatoes, fresh fruits, etc.
    Some nutritionist may have realised it's healthy and decided to write a book to make it into a diet plan and get some money from it, but that doesn't mean it's a fad diet - it certainly wasn't born to be that (it was never really "born" as nobody sat down deciding how many portions of specific stuff one would have to eat and it was not designed for weight loss - it's just the way some people eat).

It sounds like the same principle of this new Vicking thing. Somebody just thought "Hey, let's make a diet plan out of the traditional eating habits of people living in Northern Europe, give it a fancy name and make money telling people it's something new".
  • Arrabindi
    Options
    Hot dish is a baked casserole. It usually has a cream soup base to it with meat, carbs and veggies added. The favorite around here is Tater tot hot dish. I'm not from Minnesota so it's still new to me. There's even a spaghetti hot dish.

Doesn't sound familiar, but thanks :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Senseless. Paris continues to have more restaurant in the top 20 than any other city, followed by NYC. If you go by those new flashy lists.

Aren't there more Michelin 3-Stars in Japan than anywhere else? It's meant to be considered the fine-dining center of the world.....

Edit: although that's based on 2011-12 information, maybe different for 2012-13?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Aren't there more Michelin 3-Stars in Japan than anywhere else? It's meant to be considered the fine-dining center of the world.....

Edit: although that's based on 2011-12 information, maybe different for 2012-13?

noted. It seems Tokyo has the most now. I'm getting old.
    Never been to Tokyo - on the list.

Eta: like I said, if you go by the Restaurants list - which I don't - it's Paris and NYC. But I would not have guessed at Tokyo, just from lack of knowledge about the place.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    reading through all the posts made me think if I'm really doing the right thing. I am feeling very low, depressed and useless because I am just counting calories in vs out. OMG, I am not hip, not mainstream....just nothing:sad:

So I have decided to follow the Irish diet : cabbage, spuds and a pint. Or maybe I should go for the German one? Sauerkraut, bratwurst and beer:laugh:

Cheerio :bigsmile: