Viking Diet, what do we think?

Options
13»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The Yorvik Viking Museum informs me that excavations of Viking middens reveal that nearly all of them suffered from debilitating parasitic gut worms. I suppose that would keep you slim! :tongue:
  • Anastazia36
    Anastazia36 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    just another fad diet like meditaranian, south beach, paleo, raw food, blah blah blah... just count cals and macros, exercise, and be consistant.

Mediteranean is a fad diet? Really? Do you search a bit before you post something?

"On November 17, 2010, UNESCO recognized this diet pattern as an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Italy, Greece, Spain and Morocco, thus reinforcing it not only as a fundamental part of their history and background, but also as a great contribution to the world"

This is a healthy way of life diet, not a weight loss diet. I am from Cyprus, a meditteranean island, and this a way of life for as.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Copenhagen as the "new" food capital of the WORLD?
    Senseless. Paris continues to have more restaurant in the top 20 than any other city, followed by NYC. If you go by those new flashy lists.
    Guide Michelin all the way. ;)

Aren't there more Michelin 3-Stars in Japan than anywhere else? It's meant to be considered the fine-dining center of the world.....

Edit: although that's based on 2011-12 information, maybe different for 2012-13?

noted. It seems Tokyo has the most now. I'm getting old.
    Never been to Tokyo - on the list.

Eta: like I said, if you go by the Restaurants list - which I don't - it's Paris and NYC. But I would not have guessed at Tokyo, just from lack of knowledge about the place.

Apparently, the Michelin guide only started to go there 5 years ago. Previously, they pretty much ignored the far east. Now they are discovering new restaurants every year, that they had not even visited before. Consequently, there are places that have gone from no stars to 3 stars after a single visit. Such things are rare in the more known culinary centers in the west. Explains Japan's almost exponential expansion in stars! Plus, let's not forget that simple, elegant high concept Western food bears much in common with Japanese style, that it's almost like their cuisine is made for the Michelin guide!
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The Yorvik Viking Museum informs me that excavations of Viking middens reveal that nearly all of them suffered from debilitating parasitic gut worms. I suppose that would keep you slim! :tongue:
    I suspect the debilitating cold, having to go out and hunt for hours to gather the game meat, carry out all household chores manually, build your own house and ships, plus forge your own tools for the pillaging raids ALL probably helped their waistline too.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned, this does sound a typical North European diet (as in what we eat diet, not weight loss diet). I still eat a lot of these things now as they are readily available. Mind you, can't resist the odd curry. Hm brussel sprout curry, tried it once, was not impressed.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Lutefisk - :sick:

Some of the Danish food my grandma used to make was pretty good, but I wouldn't call it diet food - LOL.

Also, wild game is notorious for carrying parasites. Make sure you cook it thoroughly so you don't become the next HOST!!!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Lutefisk - :sick:

Some of the Danish food my grandma used to make was pretty good, but I wouldn't call it diet food - LOL.

Also, wild game is notorious for carrying parasites. Make sure you cook it thoroughly so you don't become the next HOST!!!

The Viking cooking method could also be questionable...the stew pot stayed on the fire all the time. It was never emptied. Food was continually added in so some of the stew they were eating could be up to around 6 months old in the pot...
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I know this thread started out as a serious one but I'm happy I found it because it made me laugh and I needed it so thanks, guys :flowerforyou:
    Why is it called a "viking diet" I'm pretty sure they ate the same thing as other people at the time maybe with just more protein. What's next the Swahili diet? Zombie diet? 50 shades of twilight diet?

This sound like just another diet repackaged with a catchy name that will make people follow it.

Haha, I love that!

The "50 Shades" Diet: includes loads of "working out" every day and the obligation to get "permission" before eating. Hey, I bet it would work ;)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Or for the discerning vegetarians, there is the Vegan Zombie diet: grains....graiiiiinssss...graiiiinnnnssss

:laugh:

so clever i wish i had thought of this first.

i-hate-sandcastles-500x321.jpg
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Viking diet may taste good though, I think of a celebration feast with wine after rampaging through a village. Rampaging burns the more calories than swimming I hear.

Burns more than calories too!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Or for the discerning vegetarians, there is the Vegan Zombie diet: grains....graiiiiinssss...graiiiinnnnssss

:laugh:

so clever i wish i had thought of this first.

i-hate-sandcastles-500x321.jpg

I can't take the credit..my 9 year old son told me in a joke: What do vegetarian zombies eat? Graiiiiinnnsss... :laugh: