Saying Hello and hoping for some advice

Options
Firstly, hello everyone!!

I'm usually not one for message boards but this time I'm going to give it a go.

I'm loving the site, app and coupled with things like Endomondo it works really well but I'm hoping for some advice, I'll give you a small amount of background story first.

My weight was brought to my attention by my doctor because of my high blood pressure, I'm 29, 5 ft 7 and weight 207 lbs. My goal is to get down to 154 lbs.

I feel like I'm reasonably fit, I don't drive so I cycle or walk everywhere. I can burn between 500 to 1000 calories a day just getting to work and going on dog walks, weekends I go out on my bike for 20-40 mile bike rides. I have three kids, two dogs and run my own business so things are usually very hectic,

The problem I'm having if you look at my food diary is I don't think I'm eating enough. I've cut out things like chocolate bars, chips, crisp, package sandwiches, butter etc.. and just about all alcohol and I'm eating three meals a day but my calorie NET amount seems very low.

So my question is, do people go by there calorie food intake or the net amount? and if so does anyone know any high calorie healthy foods I could eat to bring my calorie amount up?

Feel free to add me if you want, I have to lose this weight so any help I can get is always going to be appreciated.

Thanks
Si

Replies

• fatboyruss
    fatboyruss Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I feel curious about your wish to eat "high calorie" foods. Maybe you should try to include more "nutrient dense foods (google them) in your diet - if you aren't doing so already. It is sadly possible to eat too many calories and still be undernourished (a big night on the turps can do that and more...). MFP is a useful tool to ensure people aren't going silly, but it is only that (along with the peer support).
    Additionally, don't focus on the weight but on body composition. Perhaps some resistance training would held in addition to the aerobic exercise you are doing
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could you set your diary to public please?
  • wiserebel
    wiserebel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    melaniecheeks, done, I missed that in the settings.

fatboyruss, thanks for the reply, googling nutrient dense foods now. I was doing a small amount of weight training for a few months but I was bulking up to much so I've cut it down to a bit of resistance training, chin ups, pull ups and press ups. As a family we try to eat healthy but my down fall has always been cheeses, meats and alcohol.
  • fatboyruss
    fatboyruss Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    View my diary and you'll see my weakness begins with the letter "A" as well (cheese is a close second). Like you I have high blood pressure (had it since my mid 20's when I wasn't overweight - long before my "before I did what I did to myself shots" of 1999 on my profile!), but I'm managing it. I find resistance training is good as a high intensity workout that keeps calorie burning long after the workout has finished (at least that's what the popular press says). However I am also concerned with cutting down my body fat percentage rather than just kilograms(or pounds) - they will follow...
  • wiserebel
    Options
    I do enjoy the weights, I find it a good stress release. Going to do my best to hit my targets today, with things like natural yogurt, nuts and fish and I having a home made stir fry to get in loads of veg.
  • spmccann
    spmccann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Wiserebel

I'm in the same sort of position High Blood pressure , Type 2 Diabertes diagnosed 5 weeks ago. However I'm determined to minimise the effects on my health from the diagnosis. Keeping the food dairy will help you figure out whats doing the damage. For me its chocolate,sweets , fizzy drinks and white bread too . So they are gone!

The cardio workouts(cycling/walking) are good for burning calories but you need to mix in some resistance training. The research is showing that combining light resisitance and cardio are the most effective work outs for weight loss. If you can, vary your excerise as your body tends to plataux if you do the same thing all the time.Easier said than done I know as we all have busy lives. I also use endamondo to track my walks/jogs love the sync to my fitness pal. The interval training function is really good for alternating your heart rate so you dont plateuax. It also makes sure that your maximising the benefit of the time you do spend excercising.

Drink plenty of water, its recommended 2 lites a day(8 cups) , If you dont your body will retain the water. The MFP app has a handy daily summery make sure you are getting enough neutrition as some times focussing too much on calorie reduction/increase is at the expensive of other vitamins and minerals. Make sure you log everything , I wasnt logging the odd couple of grapes I was having and didnt realise it was pushing my sugar too high.

Your doing the right things , dont be too hard on yourself and keep going.Your already doing the excercise which is great. Its a lifestyle change, remember to do fun things.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes, you need to eat more. as a man you shouldnt be netting under 1500 cals.

all you are doing at the moment is forcing your body to burn muscle, when what you really want is a modest deficit and adequate nutrition which allows your body to burn fat and get the fuel it needs for your workouts.

the type of food looks ok from the few days i looked at, just eat more! a whole tin of beans, 3 or 4 wheatabix... you might want to ditch the white bread, 94 cals for 3 slices? really? go for a wholemeal or seeded, it'll be more calories and have more nutritional value.
  • wiserebel
    Options
    spmccann, water was a big one for me, it had never really occurred to me before how little I was drinking. Good advice about mixing up the exercise as well.

TavistockToad, that's my goal now a lager amount of the same stuff. The white bread, I was only having one slice but for some reason to get the correct calorie amount the app put in three, not sure why but we'll be swapping to a seeded batch at next big shop.

Thanks everyone!
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Syracuse, New York. I'm so proud of you for all the exercise calories that you are able to burn each day. I would adjust your food diary settings and add SODIUM and PROTEIN to the setup. It looks like you've got the çanned'settings that MFP starts you out with. Your processed foods are FULL of sodium and you should watch the levels. I try to keep mine below 2500mgs per day. But, I'm not sure if that would be an appropriate level for you. If you don't have PROTEIn in the mix for your food diary, it would also be good to UP your protein intake each day. Fish, meats, protein shakes, etc.

Best wishes and I hope you get alot more good advice from MFP friends.
  • wiserebel
    Options
    Protein shakes, that's a good idea. I do use them when I've been out for a big bike ride but that could be a good way to add some protein first thing in the morning.