I need some good diabetes recipes ....

Options
I have Diabetes and have a hard time finding great recipes, I'm very picky, I dont like sour cream, I do eat meat, except pig, I love Mexican food, spicy foods, cheese is my weakness . Anyone have some ideas ?? Thanks,

Replies

• tidetevo
    tidetevo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump ... waiting for that to:bigsmile:
  • K1tt
    K1tt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What sort of things are you looking for? Low carb or low fat or low calorie?
  • helehcim
    Options
    My SO soon to be husband is a foody. He can't stand bland, and he's Cuban so if it's spicy or made from pork he's in heaven. He's been diagnosed with way too high blood sugar. Appointments to follow for them to probably tell him the dreaded "D" word. So for the last few days he's done a 180, that I really hope lasts, and we've found several good recipes on line. I've googled "Diabetic Recipes" and have had really good luck. Here's what we ate last night, and he loved it.

Beef Lentil Soup with Kale - aprox 6 servings. Four of us had full bowls and we have enough left overs for lunch for two of us today

1 pound 96% fat free ground beef
    46 oz V8 (you can use the low sodium version, or low sodium tomato juice)
    4 cups water
    1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 cup chopped red onion
    1/2cup diced green pepper
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon better than bullion beef base (can use up to 2)
    4 cups fresh kale, stems removed ripped into bite size pieces

Cook the beef in a stock pot until browned. I didn't add oil so I had to keep a close eye on it. I guess you could put a touch of oil in there if you're worried about it sticking or burning, but with real close supervision it won't get dry or yucky. Once it's browned, add everything else to the pot. No kidding it's that easy. Let it boil, then reduce to a simmer. The recipe called for it to simmer for 1-1.5 hours, but my man likes lentils a little crunchy so for us it was done in 30 minutes. He LOVED it. I will say we used regular V8 and the sodium was high, but yesterday we had low sodium foods all day so neither of us was over our sodium limit for the day. If you know you had high sodium in your breakfast or lunch I wouldn't recommend this for dinner.

I served it with...Kale Chips. Because I had a ton of kale left over from the soup. It was something new we tried and were skeptical about, but I'm not kidding they tasted like potato chips. And the kids LOVED them.

Wash Kale and tear into bite size strips (remove stems)
    run through a salad spinner to dry, or dry with paper towels. They really need to be dry.
    Put on a cookie sheet with parchment paper (I didn't have any I used foil, they came out ok but I'm buying some parchment paper)
    sprinkle some olive oil on them, not a lot, and mix it up with your hands to evenly coat. Don't stress if every piece isn't glossy, you're just going for a light coating.
    Sprinkle with salt. I didn't measure I just put a touch of salt over the whole cookie sheet.
    Bake at 350 for 15ish minutes until they're crisp.
    One cup of this is 58 calories! That's IT!

Hope you like it :)

*edited to add number of servings*
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Yummy and amazingly easy pumpkin muffin recipe and very diabetic friendly. I got it from another post a while back....I have made these quite a few times. Nice to have a healthy baked good.

Sugar Free Pumpkin Muffins

1 box Pillsbury sugar free yellow cake mix
    1 regular can of pumpkin
    pumpkin pie spices
    small amount of water

Do not follow the instructions on the box.

Mix pumpkin and spices with cake mix. Add just enough water to make sure moist not too dry. I think I add 1/2 cup or so (little bit at a time). Put into regular or mini muffin pan. Bake at 350 for about 13-17 minutes. (depends on mini or regular muffins).