Sudden 6lb loss - should I be worried?

Options
After a false start back in March I started using MFP and properly trying to change my lifestyle 13 weeks ago today. Before this week I had lost 31 pounds in 12 weeks. My diet has changed dramatically from 5 or 6 chocolate bars and 3 or 4 takeaways per week to perhaps 1 of each a week. I'm getting plenty more fruit and veg, cycling to work at least 3 times a week (6 hilly miles each way) and ran my first 5k loop of my neighbourhood a couple of weeks ago after not being able to run more than half a mile.

In that time I've generally lost between 1.7 and 2.5 pounds a week, although the odd week I've lost 4 and 5 pounds. I try and be reflective, even when I lose big, and look at a 2-3 week timescale rather than individual weeks.

However, this week I lost 6 pounds!!! I weighed myself 3 times to make sure. I use an Omron body scanner so I can track (roughly) body fat % too, and it says my Body Fat % and Muscle % have stayed the same from last week, so does that mean I've lost weight somewhere I shouldn't have?

Replies

• simplythebaz
    simplythebaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks LadyPakal, an interesting read - I guess I'll just monitor the numbers over the next couple of weeks and see if another woosh is ever triggered. By the sounds of it, the closer I get to my goal weight (still miles off), the less often a woosh should occur. I guess if I keep wooshing, I've got a problem...
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    water weight ... i can lose from 3-7pounds water in a week after a carb up
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm curious too.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Agreed, but I'm actually commenting because of your ticker, it is funny, but the thinnest silhouette is not the one that appeals to me! I like the 3rd, 4th and 5th from the thinnest side, and one on either side of that would be next (2nd thinnest and 6th)
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "i'll have whatever she's having" :laugh:
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Agreed, but I'm actually commenting because of your ticker, it is funny, but the thinnest silhouette is not the one that appeals to me! I like the 3rd, 4th and 5th from the thinnest side, and one on either side of that would be next (2nd thinnest and 6th)

You should have seen the ones I cropped off - almost skeletal! Wish I could remember where I got the image... but yes, the last one or two are not nice - take it as a warning not to go too far! ;)
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What a interesting read on the whoosh. That may explain why I seem to lose 2 to 3 lbs at a time. I do go several days even weeks before I lose.