Can't seem to build up endurance?

Options
Hey everyone.
So I've been working out for quite a while now, for over a year.
While at the gym, I like to start off my workout by running. I typically try to run at least 2 miles in a row. However, I've found that, even though I run every single day, I can't seem to build up my endurance. I am ALWAYS tired by the time I get through running only half a mile. I run the same amount daily but I just get out of breath so quickly and I can't seem to figure out why. I don't run terribly fast, more of a jog if anything, and I am aware of my posture and breathing techniques. Nothing seems to fix it. That's the main reason I can't run any farther than I do; I have a hard time catching my breath. My lungs feel like they are going to collapse every time (a little dramatic but I'm sure you all know the feeling).
Frequently, I'll work out with a friend, and when we get on the ellipticals, I find that his BPM is always around 145 or so, while I'm in the 170 range, which I know is pushing it for my size. I am not out of shape or overweight; I am in the healthy range for my size so I feel like there shouldn't be an excuse as to why I'm having such a difficult time!
Does anyone know what I could do to fix this or has anyone else had similar experiences?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Medically it could be one of two things that I know of, low iron levels or exercise induced asthma. If you can get checked and rule those out then you may just need to run slower until you build up your aerobic capacity.

Recommend you read this for endurance training: Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Do you take any rest days? Perhaps you are overtraining and not giving your body enough time to recover between work outs.
  • Branok
    Branok Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do you take any rest days? Perhaps you are overtraining and not giving your body enough time to recover between work outs.
    Yup, I try to take anywhere from 1-2 rest days a week. Sometimes 3 :x
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I think it is a fair question, why you aren't improving your endurance. Everybody's different but for a young person like yourself, running at a moderate pace, 170 bpm does seem high. When you stop exercising, does your heart rate drop quickly or does it take longer than say your friend's heart rate to decline?
  • Branok
    Options
    It doesn't take too long, maybe about 5 minutes at most for me to not feel winded any more.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    First I'd rule out any medical problems with your doctor.

If you are clear, I would add some walk intervals and make your total mileage longer -- you can use something like C25K but start near the end of the program if the beginning weeks are too easy for you as you may be past that point. I'd continue adding to your mileage but maintaining the walk breaks until you have gotten up to about 15 miles per week. At that point, I'd decrease the walk breaks and lengthen the run intervals while keeping mileage the same. Also, you can do the run parts EVEN slower if you can't keep up. When you are beginning, there is no such thing as too slow. Building the endurance base with increased mileage is most important; speed with follow naturally.
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ixap is right, you need to start using interval training (assuming you're cleared by your doctor). I don't know your specific times, as I'm not sure how long it takes you to run a particular length. Basically you can do a slow warm up, followed by jogging & walking intervals. An example would be jogging for 4 minutes, walking for 2, repeated 5 times. The next week you can start running longer before walking, lets say 5 minutes. The week after you can taper down the walking time. You will improve your endurance this way, and you'll notice some serious progress as you continue to up the jogging times and educing the walking times.
    The Running Room sells a great book on this particular type of training. It's well researched, and easy to understand.
  • Branok
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys! I think I may have to try some interval training, because what I am doing now obviously is not working!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've got to disagree about interval training. While it is a good thing, it's not going to fix this particular problem without fixing a more underlying problem first.
    I have a hard time catching my breath. My lungs feel like they are going to collapse every time (a little dramatic but I'm sure you all know the feeling).

To me, that sounds like you are running slightly above your anaerobic threshold, which is causing you to be out of breath. People think as anaerobic/aerobic as being very black and white, with blazing hot 30 second workouts being the only kind of anaerobic intensity. It's not. You can be at a very low anaerobic intensity (just "over the line") for 5 to 8 minutes. Which sounds about right for a half mile.
    Frequently, I'll work out with a friend, and when we get on the ellipticals, I find that his BPM is always around 145 or so, while I'm in the 170 range, which I know is pushing it for my size.

I usually tell the people that I coach not to compare heart rates, but in this case it could be illuminating. You might already be running at the intensity that you would be aiming for during the "hard" part of interval training.

Since you are having problems in the 170's, have you ever tried slowing down so that your heart rate is in the 140 to 150 range? Or even further, into the 130 to 140 range?

I'm guessing that the reason you can't build endurance is that you're going too hard, which would builds speed, not endurance, but since you cannot go for very long, it's not really enough of a training load to build either one.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm with Cyclink on this one; try slowing down!

I thought I couldn't run at all, and was completely out of breath whilst trying. Tried running more slowly and hey presto, turns out I can run for an hour! Give it a try?
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How long do you take to run your two miles?
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think you probably need to slow down your running. Try to keep your heart rate lower and just run as slow as you can to start out. Speed will come later.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Medically it could be one of two things that I know of, low iron levels or exercise induced asthma. If you can get checked and rule those out then you may just need to run slower until you build up your aerobic capacity.

Recommend you read this for endurance training: Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf

x2
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    I think you probably need to slow down your running. Try to keep your heart rate lower and just run as slow as you can to start out. Speed will come later.

This. Run slower, walk faster and keep a lower Heart rate, under 80% max. Your friend's bpm is meaningless only your maximum and resting HR are important.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Running slower could do it, but have you tried running outside?

The lack of airflow running on a treadmill at the gym, even with all the ceiling fans going, wears me out faster than running outside in any kind of weather. Plus, it's much less boring. Running indoors, I just end up looking at the time and thinking about how much it all sucks. Outdoors, I'm watching the scenery, making sure I don't trip on potholes or tree roots, avoiding traffic, etc.

I can run a 5k at an 8 minute mile pace. I can't run more than three minutes at that pace on a treadmill. :grumble:
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    There are more than two medical scenarios that can cause this. Trust me, I'm a pulmonologist.

It may be worthwhile to see your MD for a basic workup. If that doesn't yield an answer, you may be a candidate for CPET (cardiopulmonary exercise testing).

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    First I'd rule out any medical problems with your doctor.

If you are clear, I would add some walk intervals and make your total mileage longer -- you can use something like C25K but start near the end of the program if the beginning weeks are too easy for you as you may be past that point. I'd continue adding to your mileage but maintaining the walk breaks until you have gotten up to about 15 miles per week. At that point, I'd decrease the walk breaks and lengthen the run intervals while keeping mileage the same. Also, you can do the run parts EVEN slower if you can't keep up. When you are beginning, there is no such thing as too slow. Building the endurance base with increased mileage is most important; speed with follow naturally.

This was what I was going to suggest. I was the same way, only I couldn't run at all, like a half a minute before I felt like I was going to die. C25K is really working for me.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Running slower could do it, but have you tried running outside?

The lack of airflow running on a treadmill at the gym, even with all the ceiling fans going, wears me out faster than running outside in any kind of weather. Plus, it's much less boring. Running indoors, I just end up looking at the time and thinking about how much it all sucks. Outdoors, I'm watching the scenery, making sure I don't trip on potholes or tree roots, avoiding traffic, etc.

I can run a 5k at an 8 minute mile pace. I can't run more than three minutes at that pace on a treadmill. :grumble:

This too. Running outside is so much easier for me.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'm going to offer what has worked for me. I was having all kinds of the same troubles. I even have a labral tear in my hip that has refused to heal. I went to the chiropractor last week for something unrelated and she opened my eyes to a myriad of things. My posture has horrible. This was causing my hip not to heal in addition to constricting my breathing. I went to see her for 5 days in a row and my posture AND breathing have improved.

The physiologist there offered me some stretches/exercises to help improve my core, which in turn, can affect my breathing. Weak core = bad posture/poor breathing. I have gotten more of a workout with those exercises than any broscience speak.

So, I'm not saying this is the answer; it is just something that has helped me. Most people don't believe in integrative medicine, but I am glad I considered it.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If you want to run two miles faster, start running three miles.