I'm new and need a some tips.

Options
I really need some tips to discipline myself not to eat fast food and fatting food. I'm tryin to loose all my baby wieght that I gained while pregnant. Hope to meet new people.

Replies

• kiwiraz
    kiwiraz Posts: 34
    Options
    Try driving different routes that don't take you past the fast food joints. Or you can use a sensible fast food item as a reward for doing well. I quit eating fast food when I took a serious look at my bank account. Canceling the cable helped too since I don't see all the commercials, but that may be a little extreme :)
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can resist fatty foods in the store, but not at my house. I don't buy chips, cookies etc unless it's a special occasion because if they are in the house I will eat them and if they are not, I don't even think about them
  • gonzalezelisa
    Options
    Personally, I can resist fatty foods in the store, but not at my house. I don't buy chips, cookies etc unless it's a special occasion because if they are in the house I will eat them and if they are not, I don't even think about them

My husband is a junk food lover and I have to tell him to hide his cookies from me. I did however buy 100 calorie cookies and snacks, but its never satisfying. :(
  • Whiskey5JDA
    Options
    1. avoid fast food! except for subway and other places that offer low cal choices.

2. if you get a salad get the fat free dressing or bring your own

3. anything white is LOADED with fat! (except skim milk)

4. Keep logging

5. Keep exercising

6. Keep your chin up. there may be times that you feel you failed, but a pound lost is something to be proud of
  • elmsmith
    elmsmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to myfitnesspal but have been trying to lose weight since the end of January. To date I have lost 14lbs. Getting to this goal has been difficult. At work we do a weekly weigh in and confession. That has been motiviation. myfitnesspal has allowed to see what I am eating which really helps.

We do not keep "junk food" in the house so that prevents me from giving in to the cravings. We also treat ourselves once a week. Either Friday or Saturday night we will have treat night for the entire family - popcorn and a movie, chips, or cookies. You can't completely cut out the junk food.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This is totally me too!!! I have amazing will power in the store but if it's in my house or I go somewhere (potluck at work) I have NO self control.

Honestly, I just told myself no more fast food. After a week (maybe two, I don't remember) the craving totally went away. Logging that stuff in and having to work around it vs. having to actually ADD foods now to complete my calories is amazing. It's so much nicer to be able to eat more and feel better. Maybe tell yourself if you go a certain amount of time without it you can treat yourself. Hopefully once that time is up you won't even feel like eating it. I didn't. :) (The financial savings is certainly a good part of it too.)
  • allyson223
    Options
    Well you have come to the right place! There are so many things on this site that can really help you reach your goal!

I have been on here for almost 5 weeks and have lost about 8 pounds :smile: There are a few things have been key for me, I hope maybe you can get something from them.:flowerforyou:

Plan Ahead- I always try to plan my meals out ahead. It is all based on what works for you. I find that when I usually consume the most calorie and get the 'munchies' is in the afternoon about an hour or two before dinner. So I plan my whole day in the morning so when that time rolls around I know what I can have.

Avoid Burnout- Don't cut back too much. When I first started I really wanted those fatty foods that I had always eaten. In frustration, I was about to give up when I had a friend suggest that I work on lowering that amount more gradually. So I ate like I had been minus 200 calories, the next week 200 less. Until I reached my daily calories allowed.

Keep going- You will find so much support from so many different people on this site! Congratulations on starting your journey! I hope you realize that this really is a wonderful life change and you will feel awesome about it! There are so many resources and soon enough you will probably find that the knowledge you have gained about food and what you are eating will allow eating better and monitoring what your body is taking in becomes second nature!

Best of Luck!
  • jerry1
    jerry1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Just trust the program. You can eat anything you want, you just have to concentrate on the portions. You can do as little or as much exercise as you want,. but obviously the more you do, the more you can eat. I do have a weekness, and it is beer. I make my own so I can sit and enjoy sports or whatever, but I always take it into consideration. If I want to drink a couple I will work out at some point to compensate for that. Once once you get into it there is almost no sacrafice and the extra exercise is well worth your health.
  • gonzalezelisa
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to myfitnesspal but have been trying to lose weight since the end of January. To date I have lost 14lbs. Getting to this goal has been difficult. At work we do a weekly weigh in and confession. That has been motiviation. myfitnesspal has allowed to see what I am eating which really helps.

We do not keep "junk food" in the house so that prevents me from giving in to the cravings. We also treat ourselves once a week. Either Friday or Saturday night we will have treat night for the entire family - popcorn and a movie, chips, or cookies. You can't completely cut out the junk food.

I think I'm going to start doing the same thing. Treat ourselves once a week to something tasty.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    I'd have to say I eat "fast food" everyday. I work 2 jobs and I don't get to go home a lot of times between my two jobs. Plus my husband is a student, so he is always studying and never around. My trick.. Lenny's sub shop has saved me! They have the best sub sandwiches. I eat there everytime I pick up a shift working my second job. It's my way of getting "fast food" because it's convenient and I can eat when I get to the game (I work athletic events providing medical care). My love of fast food has always been about convenience and the fact that I am a picky eater and can't cook! I don't mind cooking but I don't like the ingredients in 90% of the recipies I find (onions, etc).
    I have an application on my phone to tell me what's nutritious and how many calories are in each. That combined with the myfitnesspal ap has been great in helping me out. Try buying the Eat This Not That book if fast food is a temptation. Eventually you will not want all of the fatty foods you used to eat at these restaurants and the temption will be easy to surpass. Not to mention seeing the number of calories in some of these meals is motivation enough not to pick that particular food. My big motivation is seeing other people who are thinner and have a great body... I want to be like that, not envious of that! Keeps me going! I also have a picture of myself when I was a dancer taped up so I can remember how I used to be and I want to be there again! Good luck to you. You can do it!
  • eyemadreamer
    eyemadreamer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm semi new also but I have a coach training me.. I'll share with you what I have learned.

You can pretty much eat anything you want and still lose weight, the goal is to count your calories. As long as you remain under your calorie goal everyday you'll lose weight. However, it is wise to choose more healthier options which will benefit your body better overall.

Examples:
    -choose grilled chicken over cirspy chicken....
    -wheat instead of white bread/rice/pasta.....
    -go for low fat cheese, milk, etc....
    -ground turkey or lean sirloin instead of ground beef.....
    -use vinagrette for salad dressing (avoid cream-based one such as ranch, caesar, thousand islands.. etc)
    -drink stuff that has zero calories.. (flavored water, diet soda (limit 1-2 a day), diet green tea is great)

all of those examples will go a long way...

other suggestions:

-eat 4-5 times a day... breakfast,.. AM snack... lunch... PM snack... dinner. that way you wont find yourself hungry between main meals. do not skip meals.
    -include a salad/vegetable or fruit with eac h meal as they are filling and will help you get full and curb your hunger.
    -divide your plate into 4 squares- fill 1 with meat/protein 1 with carbs (rice, bread, pasta, etc) and then 2 with vegetables ( a bowl of salad can be considered 2 squares)
    - limit your salad dressing to 2 tablespoons per salad.
    - plan your meals once a week for the whole week and go shopping once for it each week.
    - always eat some type of carbs within 1 hour after your workouts. (carbs= energy) because if you run out of energy from your workout, your body will need to replenish it either by you consuming some more within an hour. .. OR it will take cells from your muscles.
    - work out at least 4-5 days a week.

www.eatbetteramerica.com is a great website to go get healthfied meal ideas.

here are some examples of my daily eating habits...

breakfasts: i always have a protein shake with a banana, 5 strawberries, 2 protein powder scoops and 8oz of milk (YUM!) and a energy bar. (occasionally if i want something different -- i'll have a bowl of oatmeal with some raisins, cinnamon and honey then have the shake later for Am snack,)

lunch: i have one of those healthy choice microwaveable meals usually 250-350 calories (or sometimes i'll make a turkey sandwich).. plus i have a fruit or salad and something to nibble on such as quaker's true delight rice cakes (8 cakes only 60 calories) or a 100 calorie snack pack that you can find a the store, pick the healther opiton ones.. i have the strawberry mini fig bars one. there are also 100 calorie fruit cans you can get.

dinner: as i mentioned eatbetteramerica.com is a great site to go for dinner ideas ot plan your meals for the week.. i'll type in my meal plans for this week:

chicken & cocsous salad
    pan grilled chicken with cranberry salsa
    Mediterrean chicken with potatoes
    asian sesame chicken lettuce wraps
    baked chicken in mushroom sauce
    lasgana casserole
    beef and broccoli
    sesame chicken tenders.

now all of those are low in calories, all are under 500ish calories per serving.
    i am on a 1500ish calorie diet a day right now. and all of this i typed up above has been working great for me. my breakfast and lunches are usually around 350 calories which gives me anout 150 or so calories to consume for my am and pm snacking. and then i spend the rest in my dinners. plus i work out and usually burn 400-500 calories everyday.

the more you eat this way, healthier, the more you will actually crave it. all that fatty food, fast food restarurants will eventually become not very appealing to you anymore. ( i will always love ice cream though! hahaha )

oh also, don t be too hard on yourself, don't become obsessed with it. its OK to indulge yourself sometimes. Usually i allow myself one day a week for something extra such as ice cream or some kind of dessert. We have to reward ourselves, you know.

use this website everyday, its very helpful!! :)

good luck! feel free to ask me if you need more ideas or have questions. :)
  • Shanaf
    Shanaf Posts: 2
    Options
    Well, you're in the right place. Logging the food you eat each day and staying within your calorie goal will help you lose weight. If you add any fast food items to your log, you will run out of available calories to consume very quickly. Starving yourself the rest of the day isn't smart and you won't be happy. Eating low calorie meals all throughout the day will keep your tummy happy and your metabolism high.

My recommendation - keep healthy snacks on hand and always have a bottle of water with you. I make a snack of raw almonds and dried cranberries. This helps curb my appetite. Also, when I feel hungry and I'm on the go, drinking water also helps me not feel the hunger pains until I can get home to eat a healthy meal.

Reccommended Snacks:
    - a piece of fruit
    - Carrot sticks
    - raw almonds & dried cranberries
    - unsalted sunflower seeds
  • gonzalezelisa
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm semi new also but I have a coach training me.. I'll share with you what I have learned.

You can pretty much eat anything you want and still lose weight, the goal is to count your calories. As long as you remain under your calorie goal everyday you'll lose weight. However, it is wise to choose more healthier options which will benefit your body better overall.

Examples:
    -choose grilled chicken over cirspy chicken....
    -wheat instead of white bread/rice/pasta.....
    -go for low fat cheese, milk, etc....
    -ground turkey or lean sirloin instead of ground beef.....
    -use vinagrette for salad dressing (avoid cream-based one such as ranch, caesar, thousand islands.. etc)
    -drink stuff that has zero calories.. (flavored water, diet soda (limit 1-2 a day), diet green tea is great)

all of those examples will go a long way...

other suggestions:

-eat 4-5 times a day... breakfast,.. AM snack... lunch... PM snack... dinner. that way you wont find yourself hungry between main meals. do not skip meals.
    -include a salad/vegetable or fruit with eac h meal as they are filling and will help you get full and curb your hunger.
    -divide your plate into 4 squares- fill 1 with meat/protein 1 with carbs (rice, bread, pasta, etc) and then 2 with vegetables ( a bowl of salad can be considered 2 squares)
    - limit your salad dressing to 2 tablespoons per salad.
    - plan your meals once a week for the whole week and go shopping once for it each week.
    - always eat some type of carbs within 1 hour after your workouts. (carbs= energy) because if you run out of energy from your workout, your body will need to replenish it either by you consuming some more within an hour. .. OR it will take cells from your muscles.
    - work out at least 4-5 days a week.

www.eatbetteramerica.com is a great website to go get healthfied meal ideas.

here are some examples of my daily eating habits...

breakfasts: i always have a protein shake with a banana, 5 strawberries, 2 protein powder scoops and 8oz of milk (YUM!) and a energy bar. (occasionally if i want something different -- i'll have a bowl of oatmeal with some raisins, cinnamon and honey then have the shake later for Am snack,)

lunch: i have one of those healthy choice microwaveable meals usually 250-350 calories (or sometimes i'll make a turkey sandwich).. plus i have a fruit or salad and something to nibble on such as quaker's true delight rice cakes (8 cakes only 60 calories) or a 100 calorie snack pack that you can find a the store, pick the healther opiton ones.. i have the strawberry mini fig bars one. there are also 100 calorie fruit cans you can get.

dinner: as i mentioned eatbetteramerica.com is a great site to go for dinner ideas ot plan your meals for the week.. i'll type in my meal plans for this week:

chicken & cocsous salad
    pan grilled chicken with cranberry salsa
    Mediterrean chicken with potatoes
    asian sesame chicken lettuce wraps
    baked chicken in mushroom sauce
    lasgana casserole
    beef and broccoli
    sesame chicken tenders.

now all of those are low in calories, all are under 500ish calories per serving.
    i am on a 1500ish calorie diet a day right now. and all of this i typed up above has been working great for me. my breakfast and lunches are usually around 350 calories which gives me anout 150 or so calories to consume for my am and pm snacking. and then i spend the rest in my dinners. plus i work out and usually burn 400-500 calories everyday.

the more you eat this way, healthier, the more you will actually crave it. all that fatty food, fast food restarurants will eventually become not very appealing to you anymore. ( i will always love ice cream though! hahaha )

oh also, don t be too hard on yourself, don't become obsessed with it. its OK to indulge yourself sometimes. Usually i allow myself one day a week for something extra such as ice cream or some kind of dessert. We have to reward ourselves, you know.

use this website everyday, its very helpful!! :)

good luck! feel free to ask me if you need more ideas or have questions. :)

Thank you for all this info. What kind of protien scoops do you use? Also do you know what kind of food would you suggest to boost metabolism?
  • stuttsd011
    Options
    Love your suggestions....I will be putting them to good use.....Thanks
  • eyemadreamer
    eyemadreamer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i use the protein powder in vanilla flavor from Costco, a big bag for 31 bucks. its pretty good.

foods that raise your metabolism:
    protein powder
    apple & pears
    yogurt
    oatmeal
    green tea (not food but it helps.. along with water!)
    broccoli
    almonds
    spinach
    eggs (try to go for egg whites)
    natural peanut butter
    salmon
    grapefruit
    spicy seasoning such as curry or cayenne pepper

there may be more, you can try google.com

also working out regularly will increase your metabolism. :)