Burst my bubble!

Options
I was at school today and I was on my way into the locker room to change for my next class, feeling great about the hour plus workout I had just put in, thinking how I'd probably be down another pound or 2 by my weigh in this weekend, when I passed this girl on her way out of the locker room. I heard her say something and I thought she said "Damn Girl look at those hips!" But I figured I heard her wrong, because, well, who would say that? So I turned around and said "What?" I had also thought maybe she wasn't even talking to me, she could have been on her phone. She then said " Those hips!, how did you get those hips!" gesturing the width on herself. I was shocked speechless for a minute and blurted out " I have a daughter" and she said "Oh!" in a sympathetic sounding voice. I walked away thinking "Who SAYS something like that to someone they don't even know!?" I walked over to the full length mirror and looked at myself and started to feel bad about the way I looked, but then decided not to let one ignorant comment get me down, not after all the hard work I've put in. I just can't comprehend what would motivate a person to comment on something like that. She had no idea what I'm self conscious about, and as it turns out I have always been self conscious of my hips, they are much bigger in proportion to my upper body. I told my fiance and optimist that he is, he asked if I wasn't sure it was supposed to be a compliment. I said you just don't say somehting like that to a person! I would never tell a girl "Nice boobs" or " hey great butt!' as a compliment. I'm pretty sure she was just commenting on their size and no matter how hard I try to not let it bother me, I can't help it at least a little. I just want to know WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE!!!

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That was so wrong! Obviously she had her overpriviledged head up her hind quarters. Sheesh. Only a girl who was self-conscoius about her self would say something like that - we (some of us) usually project on to others our own insecurities. You just keep on doin' what your doin' and next time reply - "At least my momma taught me some manners."
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry you had that happen to you today. There is simply no excuse for the all too common unkindness that we have in our society.

I thought of something today and put it in my status. It just came to me...wasnt thinking about it...maybe it was meant for you...

"I see me and see how far I've come. Others see me and see where I am. Our perceptions dont match. Mine is the only one that matters."

We can all learn something from this...make it a point to teach your children kindness...we CAN pass it on to the next generation.

Have a better day!
  • allyson223
    Options
    No kidding! I'm sorry you had to go through that! Who knows sometimes why people do the dumb things they do. But we are all here for you! Stick with it and you are beautiful no matter what. There is no perfect size.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I agree that this chick was a not thinking very clearly when she said that. However, I have to admit that when I first read this, my immediate thought was that she meant it as a compliment. I have total boy hips and, while it might make jean shopping easier sometimes, I am totally jealous of women with a lovely hourglass curve to their body, because I sure don't have that!

For the record, I have also wanted to compliment women on their boobs or their butts, but I have stopped just short. She would have been wise to filter herself.

Don't let it get you down! If she didn't mean it as a compliment, remember that there will ALWAYS be people who judge and pick on others. Those people are miserable in their own skin and it is their problem and not yours.
  • happy_angi09
    happy_angi09 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to have hips girl! I think hips give that "hour glass figure". Believe me when I say that I wish I had hips. I feel like because I don't have bigger hips my body is out of proportion. Cheer Up! Love the good curves!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thank's guys,but that's why I feel so self conscious, because my body is out of proportion, I have big hips and very small boobs. More like a pear than an hourglass
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    I'm going with the "she meant it in a good way" excuse. I know I have done that before. Some girl will walk by and I'll whisper to my friend next to me, "Look at that hair," or "Oh my gosh, her legs." And I what I mean by that is that I am envious. I have hips... and a booty... and boobs... and I've had multiple women say things to me about them, and I don't mind. Take it as a compliment, I think she likes the way you look. :)
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    My first thought was that she meant it as a compliment, too......
  • chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    "What is wrong with some people?" Is an extremely loaded question.

As far as the comment, it is difficult to weigh in on that (no pun intended) because it truly is all about perception. If you believe it was a derogatory remark...I don't know that any of us can change that.

It sounds like you receive a lot of love from your fiance...flow with that...let the rest go.
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm going the compliment route, too. I totally think she meant it to flatter you! Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side, and while we curvy women envy girls with straighter bodies, those girls wish they had our womanly curves!
  • haileyco
    haileyco Posts: 68
    Options
    i read it and thought it was a compliment too. although it is straneg for a stranger to compliment you on your hips, some people don't have much of a filter. either way, try and brush it off, as hard as we all know that is and know that you are awesome just as you are!!!
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    Thank's guys,but that's why I feel so self conscious, because my body is out of proportion, I have big hips and very small boobs. More like a pear than an hourglass

I'm the opposite - big on top and boy hips and bum... I would kill for curved hips - I do understand though! I'm a very hair person and I have had more than one person come up and tell me that I have a mustache... DUH!! I know that I have a mustache! :laugh: Just try to remember that she doesnt know you or what you are going through to try to make youself feel better. It makes me think of my best girlfriend, she has been heavy all of her life as well. She came home crying from school in about grade four because some of the boys were making fun of her weight. Her aunt told her to remember "You can get thin but they will always be stupid!".