Too many vitmains?

Options
On most days, I seem to go way over 100% for vitamin intake. For Vitamin C, I'm usually at 1800-2000%, for Vitamin A, I am 300-350%, for Iron I am usually 130-145%. I try to eat a lot of fruits and veggies in my natural diet plus a take Women's 1-A-Day, and Caltrate Gummy Bites with Calcium and Vitamin D3, and 1,000mg of Vitamin C (which i should probably cut back). I'm 35 and a woman so I know I need extra calcium. I am getting too many vitamins? Thanks!

Replies

• Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    don't take any extra vitamin, just what you get in your food naturally. Unless you have a doctor advice/prescription, in normal healthy conditions extra vitamins can be dangerous for you.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There is such thing as vitamin toxicity if you get too much of a vitamin and it can be damaging. I wouldn't take so many vitamins if you're eating a healthy diet already.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to eat what I can in vitamins and if I am missing something at the end of the day then take the vitamins. I also have a blood test every six months to inform me what I may need to take and more importantly, what I don't need
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Some vitamins are just released from the body if not used, vitamin C being one of them. I wouldn't bother taking extra since its fairly easy to get anyway. If you are concerned about calcium I would continue to take the Calcium and Vitamin D since that helps
    absorption.
    Too much iron can cause a problem but I don't know at what levels you need to be concerned about it. Maybe check with a doctor.
  • cbrazina
    cbrazina Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I might stop taking the vitamin C and the calcium chews unless i can find something with just calcium. My primary reason for starting the extra vitamins was to ensure i was getting enough calcium. My multi only gives 500 mg. But I def think you are all right and I'm getting too much vitamin d and c since my food has these in it. I need to find a low-fat way to get more calcium in naturally though since i cut back on cheese. :-(
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I might stop taking the vitamin C and the calcium chews unless i can find something with just calcium. My primary reason for starting the extra vitamins was to ensure i was getting enough calcium. My multi only gives 500 mg. But I def think you are all right and I'm getting too much vitamin d and c since my food has these in it. I need to find a low-fat way to get more calcium in naturally though since i cut back on cheese. :-(

Why do you think you get too much vitamin D? It occurs naturally in very few foods. In North America during winter many people are deficient. It also helps with absorption of calcium whih is why many calcium supplements include it.

The RdI for vitamin D I found was 600 IU and recommended to stay under 4000.
  • cbrazina
    cbrazina Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I think I'm getting too much because I'm taking two separate pills that include it for a total of 1800 IU. What resource did you use because when i tried to look i didn't find great recommendations. Thanks!

Why do you think you get too much vitamin D? It occurs naturally in very few foods. In North America during winter many people are deficient. It also helps with absorption of calcium whih is why many calcium supplements include it.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Hi there,

I think I'm getting too much because I'm taking two separate pills that include it for a total of 1800 IU. What resource did you use because when i tried to look i didn't find great recommendations. Thanks!

I see.
    Here is the link
    http://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/Articles/Nutrients-(vitamins-and-minerals)/What-you-need-to-know-about-Vitamin-D.aspx