Question about Soy milk...first time drinker

Options
I'm looking to eliminate cow's milk from my diet for about 2 weeks. I've been having some troubles with dairy lately.

I drink protein shakes and am wondering if it would be best to buy a plain soy milk or a flavoured one? What are your experiences? I buy chocolate & vanilla protein powders.

*I'm allergic to nuts so I can't have nut based milks*

Thank you!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    we drink almond milk vanilla flavor, it's great on cereal and in smoothies. Silk has some great non dairy drinks, even chocolate flavors and egg nog during the holiday. give them a try.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd buy Almond Milk for flavor. Too much soy isn't good for men....just as an aside....But most protein powders are designed to be used with water.

Almond milk and soy milk both have carragenen (sp) and other thickening agents. Plus they are expensive for a low-nutrient drink.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I would try adding it to the plain stuff first and see how you find the taste (I always have unsweetened soy milk because I find the vanilla/sweetened/flavoured stuff strange.... except for the yummy flavours like chocolate or strawberry haha)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Personally I like the plain ones, because I find the flavored to be too sweet.
  • barbiec75
    Options
    Almond Breeze makes a great milk. I love the Almond Breeze almond milk Unsweetened Original (40 calories). I can drink it just like I drank milk, plus use it for cooking, cereal, etc. The only thing is for instant pudding or salad dressings, it makes them a little runny. I am a big milk drinker, so have been glad to save the extra calories and still have my milk. It is soy free and lactose free. Also gluten free for those with gluten problems.
  • nisha0612
    nisha0612 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like oat milk, i love alpro soya milk light... it is just 22 cals per 100 ml... i use it to make porridge...

I cant stand cows milk anymore especially since i found out that most of it contains pus from the udders :P
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Low fat vanilla silk is awesome. I've been using the vanilla almond breeze almond milk lately since it's lower calorie, but silk tastes better and if you have a nut allergy obviously you can't drink almond milk.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, you should probably go with Almond milk instead. Soy milk is known to have a lot of phytoestrogen, and cannot only be potentionally harmful to men, but for women as well. Soy milk is fine to have every once in a while, but on a regular basis isn't really recommended.

If you go with Almond milk I usually get one unsweetened one and one vanilla flavored one. If you have flavored protein power you might want to use the unsweetend kind. If not, then go with the vanilla. I"m not a fine of the chocolate flavored one, but to each his own.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I buy plain unsweetened soy milk, but I don't use it as a beverage. I use it to top my oatmeal, or in cooking. As for the soy 'danger', read this and, of course, do your own research: http://zenhabits.net/soy/

For drinking, there are all sorts of non-dairy milks that people find more palatable. It's very individual, so try a few of them. There's coconut, hemp, oat, etc. Wishing you success in finding one you like!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of soy milk when it's unflavored. But that's just me.

I buy the Vanilla flavored Soy Milk. The brand is So Good and it IS SO GOOD. YUM!

Best of luck!
  • coastie_wife07
    Options
    I have chocolate protien and use vanilla silk milk
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I personally avoid soy like the plague and since you cannot have nut based milks, look for rice or oat milk. They're both as tasty as almond milk!
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I find it funny how many people replied telling the OP to drink almond milk when he said he was allergic to nuts and couldn't drink the nut based milks. Sigh.. I drink the unsweetened vanilla and that seems ok. I don't love soy milk, my favorite s probably the rice milk, but I think its higher calories and not as good for you.
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to avoid lactose? Just wondering....

I don't trust SOY milk becuase of all the things I've read about it. Read the warnings is all I have to almond milk is good. And lactose free milk is good too.

OR

Find other ways to increase your calcium intake :)

I'm going to add you becuase your in ONTARIO ;)
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    When I was a child I had a suspected allergy and was told to drink soya milk and I found it absolutely revolting! So if they do it in different flavours to make it more bearable I would definitely recommend it.

Needless to say I suffered it for a while and was then told it wasn't an allergy after all, so thankfully never touched the stuff again. :laugh:
  • lomogeek
    lomogeek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not too keen on soy milk after all the reports that came in about too much soy intake. I personally use Almond milk, but since you're allergic to nuts, what about rice milk?
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    If you are making shakes, I would suggest plain soy milk. You can, of course, add sugar/stevia, vanilla, cocoa etc. to your shake if you need it. If you buy plain, you can also use it for sauces and savoury dishes, some of which can turn out a little bit strange with a vanilla flavoured milk. The soy milk that I use occasionally has two ingredients. Soy beans and water. If you are drinking it straight or using it on cereal, you may find the sweetened/flavoured more palatable. Silk is a tasty brand. My son likes So Good. Individual tastes vary, so if you don't like the first one you try, don't despair.

There's no "magic" to using milk or a milk replacement. You can use water or juice in shakes/smoothies, you can add various kinds of protein powders (soy, brown rice, hemp, pea, etc.) You can add tofu, avocado, pureed beans, or whatever else you like. Think about whole foods as well as processed ones.

As for the dangers of soy . . . do your own research, and check references. Don't rely on hype.

Just my $0.02.
    I'm looking to eliminate cow's milk from my diet for about 2 weeks. I've been having some troubles with dairy lately.

I drink protein shakes and am wondering if it would be best to buy a plain soy milk or a flavoured one? What are your experiences? I buy chocolate & vanilla protein powders.

*I'm allergic to nuts so I can't have nut based milks*

Thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Light with no sugar added
    It's great in smoothies and in oatmeal
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Since you can't do almond milk, I'd def recommend a flavored soy.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    soy milk is disgusting. It has a terrible after tastes and gross bloating feelings. try rice milk, that's also very good.