Gym Hair - Sweaty and Greasy

Options
Hi,

So Im working out way more now and find Im taking my morning shower and than a shower after my workout obviously. The thing is I get sweaty hair and have to wash my hair every day after my workout. My hair is super thick and super long so washing it every day is a pain. Any advice?

(For those of you that dont know, when you have long hair its recommended to wash it every 2-3days for healthier hair)

Thanks
Nancy

Replies

• Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder length very thick hair. I find that I have to get it wet and use conditioner every day but I only use shampoo every other day. That's really helped a lot. I also have well water which is very harsh on hair...
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just wash your body in the mornings and wash your hair after a work out.
    Use a gentle 'everyday' shampoo and rich conditioner to maintain hair health.
    I highly recommend washing hair/body after workout to avoid the 'smell' and also for your skinhealth (clogged pores etc)
  • cosmic15
    Options
    Dry shampoo is great, freshens up the hair and frangrances it too so no sweaty smell. obviously I shower the rest of me! I wash my hair every other day and use the dry shampoo inbetween to freshen it up after a work out. Saves a ton of time with not having to dry it everyday too and protects my hair colour and condition from overwashing it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Just rinse with water and go.... you'll be fine.

Unless it's like soaking wet, I don't worry much about my hair... I wash mine every other day and mines down to my shoulders thick and curly.
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    my hair is down to the bottom of my spine, super long.... i just use dry shampoo if i washed it daily it would be dead :noway:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Baby powder. If my hair is a little sweaty/oily I just put a little baby powder on my hands and run my hand through my hair. It'll absorb some of the sweat/oil.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you're gyming, you might want to (as I do with my fine hair) plait it up and not wash it the morning of but wash it afterwards.

Plaiting, or braiding depending on which side of the pond you're on, keeps it out of the way and I find with mine (which greases up quickly) prevents it from getting to sweaty.
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Thank you.. never even heard of it before :)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You could also put your hair up in a bun, and just wash the scalp around it, or leave it down, but still wash only the scalp. It helps keep the ends from drying out.
  • lomogeek
    lomogeek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have long hair too (but it's very fine), but I only wash it every 3-4 days but condition it every day or else I'd have knots the size of Texas in my hair. I'd recommend just washing your body before the gym and then washing (as needed) and conditioning your hair afterwards.
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I workout almost every day and I DO NOT wash it every day! I use dry shampoo (the Cake brand is my favorite, you can either get it for blonde or brunette). I also use Chi Royal Farouk (spelling?) hair spray because it smells so good. Every time I hugged a family member at Thanksgiving yesterday they said how beautiful my hair was and how good it smelled... I hadn't washed it in 3 days and worked out for 1:30 yesterday morning. Yeah I know some people think it's gross, but like you said, when you keep your hair long it's really bad for it to wash every day. I :heart: my dirty hair :)
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    DRY SHAMPOO
    DRY SHAMPOO
    DRY SHAMPOO

LOOK IT UP - WORKS GREAT!
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    My hair is down to my bum and I wash it everyday with shampoo (I don't use the conditioner crap; makes my hair nasty). I've never had an issue. You might be using too much shampoo or your conditioner is to blame. My hair gets very oily when I touch it all day, which I usually only do when I'm bored or stressed, or when I've tried that not washing for a couple days thing. I know it's a pain but even a quick wash is better than nothing. At the very least, wash your scalp good and massage the suds down into the rest of your hair then rinse.

I recommend finding a good herbal shampoo and ditching any conditioner (and staying miles away from the 2-1 shampoo+conditioner stuff as well) and you shouldn't have a problem.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo is great, freshens up the hair and frangrances it too so no sweaty smell. obviously I shower the rest of me! I wash my hair every other day and use the dry shampoo inbetween to freshen it up after a work out. Saves a ton of time with not having to dry it everyday too and protects my hair colour and condition from overwashing it.
    I do exactly the same thing I can't stand the feel of greasy hair and it works a treat. If your in the uk batiste dry shampoos do a big range to suit any hair x
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Long haired people!

My hair is about 2/3 of my own length and very VERY thick and heavy. I couldn't work out if I didn't have it braided and even then I have to be careful where I swing it(I've "punched" myself AND strangers before).

When I worked out every day I usually kept my hair braided and washed my body every other day and did the full thing every other.
    Nowadays I try to time my showers with my work outs so that I work out every other day and shower afterwards. =)
  • KellyS_86
    Options
    my hair is down to the bottom of my spine, super long.... i just use dry shampoo if i washed it daily it would be dead :noway:

oooh good idea! My hair is super long as well and I do wash it every day as its a bit on the oily side but I could give it a rest and rely more on the dry shampoo.. LIKE x
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Don't shampoo everyday, it is really not good for your hair!

As someone above suggested, rinse and condition if you really must do it or dry shampoo works wonders on an inbetween washes day! :)
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo.

Only use it on the bits that are greasy.

Just spray it in, wait for a bit and then brush it out.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    im another dry shampoo lover :D
    They smell really nice, and your good to go for an extra day :D woo! Id advise carrying it around with you that day so you can top up if your anything like me and have a habbit of messing with your hair :( lol
    x

You all sound like you have lovely hair! :D x