Workout Question...

Options
I was wanting to know...when I reach 190lbs is that to soon to start doing push ups, crunches, squats? I have a fear of building muscles under fat and not being able to get rid of the fat...SO please any tips will help me!!!

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about building too much muscle. Yes, your muscles will become firmer and denser, but women just don't have the hormones to build a lot of muscle bulk without REALLY trying (think drugs). But yeah! You should be incorporating strength exercises because you want to be sure to KEEP the muscle mass that you already have since that muscle mass is going to help you burn more calories! It will help you get rid of the fat, if anything.
  • asyluma
    asyluma Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was talking with my dad about a similar subject and he said that you shouldn't worry about getting huge muscles. Especially as women in general, unless you go complete body builder, our muscles aren't exactly designed to get big like a man. We have more tone than anything else, but building muscles actually helps you burn calories even when you're not exercising. So yes, although the start of gaining muscles might mean a weight gain, the difference is that you have gained muscle and lost fat. It may plateau for a little while but will eventually start showing the loss of weight again. Just make sure you get your water intake in and don't fret that since you've started the muscle process, you've gained weight back or haven't lost at all. My husband plateaued for almost 3 weeks when he started integrating muscle workouts with his routine. Remember to listen to your body and don't push too hard. Hope that helped!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    remember, the more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn. It takes us girls A LOT to get "buff". Crunches and pushups arent going to negatively affect you. You might see a little stall for a week or two with weight loss (muscle weighs more than fat), but your body will fix its self, and the acquired muscle will start burning the fat again.

Im no expert! But this is what ive been told/learned.

Callie
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am 228 and my trainer has me doing all that so I wouldn't worry about it. Building muscle helps burn fat and its is more compressed then the fat is so you will still go down in size if not weight. That is why everyone says to trust the measurements if you aren't loosing weight on the scale.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that as you start working out, your muscles are going to retain water to protect/rebuild them after you break them down with strenuous exercise. This could translate to gaining pounds on the scale. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! After a few weeks your body will get used to the exercise and let go of the water and you'll see a big dive on the scale. The best thing to do while you're doing muscles exercises is to keep measurements, because while you won't see immediate results on the scale, you'll be able to notice in inches in different spots in your body.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Worked with a trainer as well for years and he always had me focused on the BIG muscle groups. Think glutes, legs, core... Building muscles in those areas helps burn fat REALLY fast. Instead of doing a ton of weight for fewer repetitions do less weight more times. It will build long lean muscle instead of big bulky muscle. :) Squats are key to the poppin little booty we are all looking for... no squats = flat butts. :bigsmile: Just some ideas. BTW- don't freak out if you gain a few pounds when your start... like rostrum said- keep an eye on the tape measure.

Good Luck!

Git it Gurl!!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that as you start working out, your muscles are going to retain water to protect/rebuild them after you break them down with strenuous exercise. This could translate to gaining pounds on the scale. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! After a few weeks your body will get used to the exercise and let go of the water and you'll see a big dive on the scale. The best thing to do while you're doing muscles exercises is to keep measurements, because while you won't see immediate results on the scale, you'll be able to notice in inches in different spots in your body.

Great minds think a like!!
    :laugh:
  • NewMe80xoxo
    NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
    Options
    Thank yall so so so much yall are very helpful...Thanks a ton!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the 170s and I love doing weight training. My biggest obstacle is getting enough cardio into the mix. I can lift light weights for more than an hour and do crunches and ab work, but I can't seem to bring myself to go for a walk during lunch or a little jog in the morning. I have to do better.

Adding light weights at high repetitions is really good for you and will not bulk you up. And like others have said here, most women can't get bulky without heavy weights or outside assistance.

Don't be afraid of them! Embrace them!

Keep up the great work!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    It's never too soon to start doing those....muscle under fat helps burn that fat!
  • NewMe80xoxo
    NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • dorfo
    dorfo Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi
    You can start doing your push ups now. Don't worry about building muscle . That takes time.
    Don't worry to much about your weight. What you need to look at is your body fat percentage.
    If you get onto a gym ask if they can do your body fat readings . Go every 3-4 weeks . Thsi way you can also see were you are loosing the weight.
    For me it's my back and around my mid section. For girls it's normally off your mid section and your thighs.
    Good luck