running question

Options
So I have been running 3 miles 3-5 times a week. I am doing my first 5K in May. There are times I feel like I can go forever. I average 3 miles in 29 min. I don't feel out of breath but, my knees kills me by the end. Any suggestions as to why? Maybe not stretching good enough or the way I run?

Also, I've seen some posts saying that running is not a good way to lose weight. Why? I thought any cardio is good to lose weight if you keep your heart rate up. Should I run and then do a different cardio for weight loss?

Replies

• wmb0124
    wmb0124 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Your knee problem might come from your shoes. Are you wearing good running shoes? There's a running shop in my town that specially fits your shoe based on how you run, like if you overpronate or put all your weight on your ankels or something like that. I would try to find a store like that in your area. They might be able to test your runs and see what exactly is causing knee pain.

As for running not being a good way to lose weight, I've been on the Couch 2 5k for the past two months and I've lost 15 pounds. I also do cardio, but I spend most of my time running. So if you're seeing resutls from runnig, I'd ignore those posts and keep doing what you're doing, I'd love to do three miles in 29 minutes, That's awesome!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of running not aiding in weight loss, so I cannot comment. I agree with getting yourself fitted for shoes. I over protonate but have learned to correct that and be mindful of it when I run, since then I haven't really been suffering PF as badly as I did before I changed my gait.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of with running not being good for weight loss is when your body gets very efficient with running. I run three times a week and I have plateaued (as other runners I know). You become an efficient machine and your body won't burn as much as it did previously - so you have to start doing speed intervals or increasing your distance to keep up with the same loss.

As for your knees, definitely check the shoes you are wearing. You may not be getting enough support / shock absorption.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    Check your shoes. I started running almost a year ago and that is how I lost most of my weight. Change it up from time to time, shorter/longer runs and you will be fine.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    For your knee - try a good pair of running shoes (if you aren't already). I wear Brooks. I have had knee problems from being overweight. When I gained weight my knees buckled. When I started losing the weight, my knees straightened and I started having knee problems and eventually had to have surgery. Knee surgery sucks.

As for running not being good the only thing I can think of is that it is hard on the joints. Other than that, I would change your cardio up sometimes just to keep it fresh.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Running is not good for weight loss for a few reasons. Most runners get motivated to increase their distance. When this happens, you build muscle. The same volumes of fat vs muscle and the muscle will weigh more.
    Running bumps your heart rate to the point where you train your body to deal with high levels of lactic acid. Jogging keeps your heart rate geared to use fat as fuel. Running is GREAT for getting fit, not for measuring numbers on a scale.

I want to point out that while there is a difference of running vs jogging, calories in vs calories out is the biggest factor. Just keep in mind that those with more weight to lose will keep losing, and those with less to lose might plateau, or even gain.

In my experience, training for a marathon, I gained 10 pounds. I still wore the same clothes. And believe me, fire proof pants DO NOT stretch. But I went from 132 to 142 while maintaining my calories at maintenance or a slight deficit. And knowing now what I didn't know then, I will never train for a marathon in a caloric deficit again!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Who told you running is not good for weight loss? Last I heard, it was one of the best overall cardio workouts around. You use absolutely every muscle in your body to run. Since I started running in January, I've dropped over 20 lbs!

I agree with everyone on the shoes thing. Also find an awesome chiropractor. Mine is doctor to many top BYU athletes, and always helps me with my legs and gives me advice on how to keep improving and getting stronger.
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    When I was running everyday, I was in the best shape ever!! I was a lean, mean running machine! I definitely think it's great for weight loss. The knee issue may be your shoes, or you may be running too much- cross training is definitely the way to go. Change up your workout a bit and run one day then do the elliptical the next or something else that is not as intense as running so you're not constantly pounding the pavement/ wearing and tearing your body.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Lean is right!!! But I think we're talking about two different things. If the only thing important to you is the number on a scale, don't run. If a decrease in body fat is important, regardless of the number on that scale, then run.

I'm referring to weight loss, I think you guys are talking about fat loss.

I can't imagine a better way to lose fat!!! Just don't expect that scale to keep dropping once you get into a "healthy weight" range.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Some simple advice.

About the knee, I agree with shoes, that's an easy place to start. The second step is understanding the pain. Often it is a sharp pain on the side of the knee cap and seems like something really wrong. IF that sounds familiar, google something called "runners knee" and follow the stretches. It's a common problem where the knee cap becomes biased to one side and can start to grind. Some simple stretches will help with alignment. I know because of I've been there, done that.

About weight loss, well, there are 2 sides to the story. First, of course you burn tons ofcals running and it's all good. So of course you can loose weight. I'd recommend measuring progress how clothes feel and not the scale.

Second point, as your running increases it actually can impact metabolic rates on many people (myself included). So, as you run more your body also thinks it needs to store more energy. Not to worry, it's simply to know your body is adjusting metabolism and you simply have to be careful on food choices (like more veggies etc...). If you watch diet carefully and run, the weight has no choice, it has to go.
  • hopela
    hopela Posts: 17
    Options
    This is a great topic. I have been running for 3 weeks - on a treadmill, mostly - and around Sunday my knee started to get a little sore. I'm actually planning on doing the elliptical tomorrow bc its lower impact but it sounds like I may need to save up for some runnin' shoes.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have running shoes but don't know if they are "good". I'll have to save and buy some. And, I'll look into the "runner's knee".

As for the running and weight loss... I do like to see those numbers go down on the scale but I also go by the way my clothes fit. My goal is to be healthy and in shape. I have noticed that since I started running I've had to increase my cals. But, I've gained weight. Before that I was at a plateau for like 3 months. I think I just needed something different in my routine.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people are instantly jumping to the "shoe answer", since that's the easiest. Shoes that have lost their cushioning or in the odd instance that you stumbled upon a pair of shoes completely inappropriate for your running style, shoes can be a big issue. More often, knee pain is caused by biomechanical issues that will not be fixed simply with new footwear.

Many people have weak(er) quads, tight hamstrings, tight hip flexors--these are often the culprits when it comes to knee pain. Doing some stretching and strengthening in these areas is usually the best intervention.