Does anyone use test pants?

Options
My nutritionist gave me a great idea to buy a pair of eans a few sizes smaller than your own to test on a weekly basis how snug/loose they feel. I was wondering if anyone ever used this? I'm just wondering because a 6 sounds ideal to me.. but I'm not sure if I would drop lower than an 8, because of how my body is built. (I am ruler shaped, so when jeans fit me.. I need to make sure they don't sag around the butt and aren't loose around the hips)

Currently I am a size 10/11/12

Replies

• strive2behealthy
    strive2behealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    jeans*
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Wish I could do this but my weight loss journey is significant.... I started out a 22/24 and I can now fit into 18's. I am holding out on buying anymore jeans though until I get to 16. I just can't see buying 3 or 4 pairs of jeans any more frequently than every 2 or 3 months. I can't afford it ....

I like the idea, but my ideal size is about a size 8 and if I were to buy a pair now, I'd probably rip them trying to squeeze up to my thighs in them LOL
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I don't but just wanted to say that I never thought I'd get below a size 8 (from a size 10) bc of my actual hip bones. I'm almost to goal and wear a size 6 and could see getting to a 4 - craziness!
  • txbelle01
    txbelle01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of jeans that I wanted to fit into. Now they are loose. They are a size 14. I started out at size 18. I plan on being a size 12 at the end of the year. I think when you buy a pair of jeans to motivate yourself it sets the mind to excel. A great idea for your Dr. to suggest! You will be in the smaller ones in no time! Good Luck to you!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I do just because I have them on hand from the weight I gained.. I have on specific pair that at one point, I couldn't even get up anymore..now..I think another 5-10lbs and they will fit again.

I also came across a pair of smaller jeans that I am going to use after I fit into my first test pair.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've had goal clothes before, it worked well for me.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of shorts that I'm trying to fit into, I guess they'd be a US size 8. I'm a US size 12ish now.

I try them on every few weeks, I think it's motivating :) They almost fit over my *kitten* now
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I still have some of my smaller clothes from when I was skinny, so no need to buy them.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes. i have a pair of 10's i've been testing. i tarted off at 22 so at first i couldnt even get them past my knees :laugh: now i can get them on all the way but i can't really button or zip without really sucking in and the result is muffin top of doom and pants i can't even think to walk or sit in

also, in general in terms of fit, you can always try http://www.makeyourownjeans.com/

i got a pair of these a few years ago and they fit perfectly. i plan on doing it again once i reach goal. i also want to try the shirts and jackets because i've always had problems getting those to fit . if they fit the shoulders then they dont fit over the boob. if it fis the boobs then it's too big in the waist and shoulders
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I guess I did that in a way with my own smaller clothes. I'm in my smallest sized pants now, and I'm considering buying a pair in the next size down (too small) to keep it going- so yeah, I get this. I wouldn't spend much money on them though, because pant cuts can be all over the place, and you really don't know exactly how your body will be distributed when you get to that size- as in, even when they fit, they might not fit *right*.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I used to do that before using my old size 29" (US size 8) Levi's jeans that I had since I was in college. I also never thought that I could go lower than that because of my bone structure & not to mention that the last time I was actually smaller than that was way back when I was 12 (and I wasn't even a fat kid).

But right now they're too loose for me & I currently wear a size 26 (US size 2), the exact same size that I had when I was a 12 year old girl :bigsmile:
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been doing that with my pre-baby pants. I have a favorite pair that I couldn't get past my thighs 6 months ago. I'm gonna have to retire them soon because they're falling off my hips now. I like the idea of "test" pants, since they're a really concrete way to tell that your body is changing, while the number on the scale is much more abstract.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I do this. I do not like the scale so I use clothes that I have in my clothes closet. I am lucky, I have ever size you can think of.

I have a favorite pair of jeans that I hang on the back of the closet door. I can see it and I know I need to work harder to
    achieve my goal.

I also like it, for it I don't eat properly and just lose weight - I will not fit in them.

I need to do cardio and train to change my body to fit them - to me that is a perfect incentive.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I had a size 12 in my closet for the longest time as a goal and now I have passed them up and now I am in a size 10, but those size 12 were a motivator for a long time :wink: now to buy the next size down.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of workout pants size M that I wanted to fit into Aug of last year I now can wear them!

For the last 1-1.5 months I have been trying to fit into a size 12 pants at the store and 2 days ago I bought them because they fit!
  • MidgetGidget
    Options
    I have an old pair of Calvin Klein size 8 jeans hanging up in my bedroom. I see them every morning. I am determined to get back into them. I'm about 20 lbs from being able to do that. Would love to wear them next spring! For now they are wall art.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    yes. i have a pair of 10's i've been testing. i tarted off at 22 so at first i couldnt even get them past my knees :laugh: now i can get them on all the way but i can't really button or zip without really sucking in and the result is muffin top of doom and pants i can't even think to walk or sit in

also, in general in terms of fit, you can always try http://www.makeyourownjeans.com/

i got a pair of these a few years ago and they fit perfectly. i plan on doing it again once i reach goal. i also want to try the shirts and jackets because i've always had problems getting those to fit . if they fit the shoulders then they dont fit over the boob. if it fis the boobs then it's too big in the waist and shoulders

Quoting b/c this website is genius.
  • melmel97
    Options
    This suggestion from your doc is very helpful. I have a goth dress that iv been trying to fit for 2 years and now because of my exercise class and the help from this cite, i can zip it up ALL the way. Maybe a good thing to do is buy one pair and try them every week or so. Gooood luck girl!! :)
  • lizabethmarshall
    Options
    yes I have a test pants, have plateaued and am getting back to the gym to get into shape.:smile:
  • Flamencoflynnie
    Flamencoflynnie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been a yo yo dieter all my life so my clothes gave gone between Uk 20 and uk 8 ( I think US 16 and US 4). Last week I ghrew out my size 8 jeans because I could not see how I would ever fit in yhem agaim. That was before I discovered mfp.... now I know things have changed forever. I have got rid of everything that doesnt fit me right now. It wasnt very much because I usually live in
    A couple of outfits. I like your idea though but I will be just trying stuff on rather than buying. It would also be good to take 'progress' pics as we shrink. I dont think I am up for publishing mine ghough. Good idea hun.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!