Fast food..what are the best options?

Options
Hey there everyone!
I have a quick question about fast food what the healthy options are when going out....You see, my husband is currently away at basic training for the military (or I believe the American's call it bootcamp). His best friend just passed away suddenly on Monday and he was granted leave to come home this week end for the wake and funeral. I know for a fact that my husband isn't going to want a "home cooked" meal while he is home since we will be doing a lot of running around for the services and such, so I was wondering if any of you people out there is MFP land can give me some advice on healthy fast food choices so that I don't over do it this week end...I know Subway is always a good choice, but I am curious as to what other options I have! Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• amathus
    amathus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Based on the fact that you said "the Americans call it...", I think we're giong to need more info on where you're at, and what the options are, before giving advice. What we have in Utah you may not have there.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    It's really the sodium in fast food that will get you. I personally LOVE the Southwest Salad at McDs. It is pretty high in sodium though. Pick salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, nuggets, etc. McDs and BK have nutrition guides online.

Do NOT go to Quiznos. I used to go there and get a salad thinking it couldn't be that bad because it was just lettuce. NOT TRUE. Omg, I've never eaten such a high calorie salad! It was like 800 calories! And practically everything there is like that. So just beware.

The best I can suggest is be prepared to drink a ton of water to flush out all the salt.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Not sure anything is "healthy" but their are lots of low calorie options (however like Jennylynn said..lots of sodium) the Fresca menu at Taco Bell isn't bad, the chicken soft tacos are low cal. At McDonals I get the grilled chicken classic sandwich no mayo, at BK same thing grilled chicken sandwich NO MAYO! All the fast food places I can think of have nutritional facts on there websites so do some research on places your likely to stop at :)
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My wife and I usually stick to Subway when we're eating out. We can share a footlong and it's pretty hard to let the calories get out of control. They offer baked potato chips or you can switch them for fruit or a yogurt.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    The way I eat Subway it isn't healthy. You need to just check the nutritional info at the restaurants you're likely to hit up. There's no blanket answer.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    But you can pick up a roasted chicken at the supermarket and bagged salad for a quick meal, not "fast food" but it is FAST!
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's really the sodium in fast food that will get you. I personally LOVE the Southwest Salad at McDs. It is pretty high in sodium though. Pick salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, nuggets, etc. McDs and BK have nutrition guides online.

Do NOT go to Quiznos. I used to go there and get a salad thinking it couldn't be that bad because it was just lettuce. NOT TRUE. Omg, I've never eaten such a high calorie salad! It was like 800 calories! And practically everything there is like that. So just beware.

The best I can suggest is be prepared to drink a ton of water to flush out all the salt.
    I totally agree! I got a sandwich from quiznos once that (I thought) was comparable to subway or blimpie. Oh my gosh, it was so much higher in calories and everything. I have not eaten there since and that was over a year ago.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options

I totally agree! I got a sandwich from quiznos once that (I thought) was comparable to subway or blimpie. Oh my gosh, it was so much higher in calories and everything. I have not eaten there since and that was over a year ago.

I don't know what it is about their food but it is BAD. I make a cobb salad at home (blue cheese and all) and it's about half the calories and probably half again as big. I haven't touched it since I found this out. I can work a McDs salad into my day if I'm craving one, but I'd have to really bust butt at the gym for this stuff and its really not worth it.
  • Semmons
    Semmons Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm a fan of the grilled chicken sandwhiches on whole wheat buns at Harvey's. I usually get a salad as a side too, my calorie counter doesn't usually hate me for eating it.
    Enjoy your man being home Ash! :)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the grilled chicken sandwhiches on whole wheat buns at Harvey's. I usually get a salad as a side too, my calorie counter doesn't usually hate me for eating it.
    Enjoy your man being home Ash! :)
    I agree. I also have gotten the veggie burger on whole wheat bun. I hope other establishments start to offer the WW buns.

If you have McD's grilled chicken or something similiar, throw away the bottom bun, and get a side salad.
  • eyemadreamer
    eyemadreamer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    just go for low calorie stuff. you can almost find anything anywhere for low calories.

ideas:

skip the mayo and cheese (or get ketchup/mustard instead of mayo)
    choose grilled instead of fried/crispy
    water instead of soda
    ask for dressing on the side (if you get salad and try to limit to 2 Tablespoons)
    choose wheat bread instead of white
    salad instead of fries (if option... if not, get the smallest portion of fries)

-mconald's grilled chicken salad is the best thing on their menu at only 220 caloires ( 140 without the chicken )
    -quizno's turkey lite has 334 calories and the honey bourbon has 359 calories
    -taco bell's fresco menu taco's has about 170 calories or less per taco (omit cheese) also their taco salad is about 500 calories
    -subway has a 6 gram or less menu sandwiches which gives 330 calories
    -wendys has 2 salads that are only 180 calories!! so low! their chicken BLT is actually only 330 calories. their regular hamburger is about 280 calories and ulitmate grilled chicken sandwich is only 360 calories.
  • GiggleGoddess
    GiggleGoddess Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    just go for low calorie stuff. you can almost find anything anywhere for low calories.

ideas:

water instead of soda
    ask for dressing on the side (if you get salad and try to limit to 2 Tablespoons)

-mconald's grilled chicken salad is the best thing on their menu at only 220 caloires ( 140 without the chicken )
    -taco bell's fresco menu taco's has about 170 calories or less per taco (omit cheese) also their taco salad is about 500 calories
    -wendys has 2 salads that are only 180 calories!! so low! their chicken BLT is actually only 330 calories. their regular hamburger is about 280 calories and ulitmate grilled chicken sandwich is only 360 calories.

Quick question...how do you have a grilled chicken sandwich w/o the chicken???
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    There is one night during the week when I have to grab something on the go too, and this is always my dilemna! I too love McDonald's Southwest Chicken salad! I recently discovered that their bacon ranch grilled chicken salad is even lower in calories, which surprised me, and if you get it with the lowcal balsamic vinagrette dressing, the entire meal is under 300 calories!

And to chime in on the sodium issue, I had a serious mouth puckering experience at KFC recently...I thought I was doing a good thing by getting the grilled chicken breast with a side of green beans and mac& cheese (total calories 320). It was so unbelieveaby salty, that I thought for sure the "cookers" must have made a mistake! I've been too afraid to give it a second try though, and have been sticking to the salads.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can't avoid fast food, I toss some whole-wheat bread in a sandwich bag to take with me, order a grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo or sauce), and replace the bun with my bread.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can't avoid fast food, I toss some whole-wheat bread in a sandwich bag to take with me, order a grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo or sauce), and replace the bun with my bread.
    That's a great idea! I'll have to remember that. Thanks!
  • eyemadreamer
    eyemadreamer Posts: 41 Member
    Options

ideas:

water instead of soda

Quick question...how do you have a grilled chicken sandwich w/o the chicken???

not sure where you're getting this from?