Older guy Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Okay, first thing I wanna say is 1500 calories is too low. Find out what your tdee is and go by that if you are trying to maintain. I am around your weight and my calories are 1718 a day and I would imagine it would be even higher for a man. I also find this useful to try to lose weight too because its much easier to see how much "in the green" you are at the end of the week then it is to crunch numbers. A calorie is not just a calorie but the rule of thumb is you have to have a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. That means exercise at least 500 calories a day from your tdee.

Exercise, exercise, exercise. If your bored, try challenging your body. If your dong the same exercise over and over your body will get used to it and sometimes stop losing weight or even gaining muscle. I know this from experience. Weight lifting is where its at! Okay, for an example. Right now I am at 209lbs and 5'7. I wear a size 12 jean. I told some girls on here that and I got attacked because when they were 170lbs and 5'7 they were still in a size 16 jean. At 170, I will be a 6-8. Know why? Because I lift and have muscles. Its not just about the scale, its about getting tone too.

I dont believe in any "diets" that cut out a whole food group. Such as carbs, fat, sugar...etc etc. To me, those are not long term solutions to losing and or maintaining weight. The rule of thumb is, if you cant go without it for the rest of your life, don't, and I repeat, don't cut it out now. That's the biggest mistake people make. They don't learn how to eat a balanced diet for the rest of their lives. Yeah, I could go on these diets and drink shakes 3 times a day, take pills, cut out sugar and all that but you know what? I wont being doing that 10 years from now so its a no-go.

I hope that helps

Sorry to edit...had to post this pic
    191473421627428288_b8i1XCl4_c.jpg
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This was an interesting thread. I have decided from all these posts that I am getting a bike for myself when I get below 200. Used to love biking when I was much younger before kids. Feels like you are flying!

I eat around 1350 to 1500 daily and am slowly losing weight, 1 to 2 lbs a week. Need to work more on moving more. Just logging my food and knowing if I do something, anything! I can have a little cushion if I want to go over my 1350 calories. So logging my food gets me moving too. Haven't been here long, but its working. If I get stuck on weight loss then will have to reevaluate my exercise. Am getting there, but at 56 don't want to injure myself (like I foolishly did Friday in the yard). Took yesterday off and only did a slow walk. Back feels better today. Need to fix my wheelbarrow (what was I thinking trying to carry a 50 lb tub of mulch about!).

Anyways am babbling but lots of great responses here. I want to bicycle and do some indoor rock climbing, dunno where they got rock climbing in Iowa! Tried it once in NH and was fun. Oh and learn how to zumba!

Shake up the exercise, so far am only doing my pilates machine and gardening (should I move that tree today?).

Thanks everyone!
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If no injuries/joint issues - vary your exercise routine - switch it up, it's easy to get bored. Ideally you have some different activities you can integrate into your life/friends. Hiking/Biking/Skiing etc...

There are endless debates here on some of the nutritional aspects of certain diets. But personally I feel much better when I eat low(er) carb - carbs make me hungry, moody. Limit starches/grains/sugars - Increase your protein and don't be afraid of some good fat.
  • stevejg54
    stevejg54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow...1500? no wonder you are tired. Here is how I calculate calorie intake: Body weight X10. Then add 20% to cover daily activities. Finally add your daily calorie burn for exercise. If you want to lose weight your diet should be less than that amount. So a 200lb guy would eat: 200X10=2000 plus 20% = 2400 + 500 (just a guess, add your calorie burn) = 2900. To lose weight aim around 2500. I am 58 and work out on a regular basis. Also, change up your routine to avoid boredom and get better results. Weight training is very important. You may want to try P90X or Body Beast..both great programs. Hope that helps
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi , im Dekomp 56 year old guy , been on a aprox 1500 cal daily diet for the last year ,along with daily stepping type exercise ( about 45 mins duration) lost over 36lbs and now reached a maintainence weight of 206 lbs , im not happy with this ! im bored ,hungry all the time, and very tired , cosidering atkins type diet any help ?support from you guys would be welcome.

Dude! EAT! Husband is your age and eating 1890 - with 1 or 2 -5 miles walks a week plus weight lifting 3x a week. Hes eating about 15% below TDEE and more when hungry. Still wants to lose 6 lbs (down 25) but hes willing to let it fall off verrrrry slowly since if he doesnt eat he wont be able to function and hey- at this level hes not gaining, feels good and looks sooooo much better.

Congrats on what you have achieved thus far! Now- go figure out your TDEE - minus 20% from it and try that calorie goal for 2-4 weeks and see what happens. Do NOT be hungry!! No one likes hungry. Remember- this isnt a diet- its how you will live the rest of your life. So if you're starving - you're dieting and doing it wrong.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well I am 58, 5'11" and now 170lbs. When I started down this road I was 239lbs and Believe it or not I was working out 7 days a week. I also spent many years doing martial arts. I also was concerned about getting injured but I decided I just wanted t get my weight down and get fit. I started using P90X and lost about 19lbs and really changed my diet. Then I started P90X2 and Myfitnesspal. I got a Fitbit and really started tracking all calories in and out. I started eating accordingly. I eat each day based on what I burn. I have plenty of energy and I eat a often. I guess the point is if you want to eat more burn more calories. I make an effort to burn 2800 -3200 calories daily. If I want to lose weight I try to eat less than 800 calories than I burn. I am doing Insanity now and will go back to P90X2 when I am done. YOU CAN DO IT! Just stay focused and listen to your body.
  • dekomp
    dekomp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For anybody interested ! been on the low carb high protien for a week now ! makes you feel guilty because you feel you are eating to much ( started with a initial weight gain ) but on the week lost 2 lbs , this staying with my original exercise program so i could judge the results fairly.
    Feel much better ,not hungry anymore ,in fact having to force some meals ,energy levels are also up , dont know if its in my mind but also seem to be losing fat , man boobs lol