Clean eating ??

Options
Is anyone else following this type of eating plan ??

I'm trying to follow the 'clean eating' ideals.... but without all the extra supplements/flaxseed etc
I just decided that If a food has ingredients that I wouldn't be able to identify in a picture i.e.. monosatur'anything' or E3082......than I'm not going to eat it.

I'm keeping within my suggested daily calorie intake for a 1.5 lb per week weight loss - so around 1300 and maybe some extra for exercise - and have so far lost 4 pounds this week.... :0
I realise this is the first big loss and prob due to bad habits before / water loss etc and I certainly don't think this is how things will be going forward however it does feel good and was a great boost start !!

I've been eating enough...
for example breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with smoked salmon
lunch - tuna, lentil, tomato and onion salad
dinner - chicken, mushroom, pepper, tomato and Quinoa casserole
snacks, chopped pineapple and a banana.
Today I made a chickpea curry and am roasting a chicken for tomorrow too.

So I really don't feel like I am missing out , going hungry or even on a diet really.
I actually feel better too.

I'm aiming to loose 12 KG but 10 would be ok as this is the weight I was 8 years ago when I got married.
I'm not trying to be super thin, just a healthy UK size 10/12 (I'm never going to lose my curves and wouldn't want to !!)

I'm looking at it as less of a diet more the way forward.... it definitely worth looking into if you are have time to cook and are struggling for inspiration !!

Replies

• gailt1959
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am trying to eat "clean" as much as I can too. Have just joined and need to lose around 18 pounds due to having very high cholesterol (inherited). Just cant stick to normal diets, so thought I would give this site a try - seems great and much better than trying to guess calories and doing it alone!
    A typical days eating for me should be:

Breakfast - Oats with organic soy milk and banana
    Lunch - Butternut squash and lentil stew with ham
    Dinner - stir fry with chicken/fish and veggies
    Snacks - Apple, Yoghurt with Flax seed and little honey. Some almonds and/or pumpkin seeds depending on calorie allowance
    4 glasses water and 4 cups tea

It is more difficult as you say - having the time to cook properly, but worth it and some things actually dont take all that long to prepare anyway, such as stir fries.

Am craving sweets/choccies still as only just started, but hopefully these will lessen and I can still have a little chocolate occasionally. If I do have cake, am going to make it homemade.

I think this is definitely the way forward, I belong to a pilates class and our tutor lost loads of weight by "clean" eating.

Good luck and congrats on the first few pounds!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • swisswife
    swisswife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have hereditary cholesterol problems too and have been on medication since I was 28 (I'm 42 now).... so I need to be careful about my weight. Also my family have a tendency to develop diabetes in later life so I'm just trying to be aware and make good choices now.

I'm eating the pineapple as a sugar craving soother !! and so far I'm not doing to badly. But a little good quality choc can't be too damaging if it keps you sane !!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Most of my choices are "healthy". That being said, I am not going to be tied down to some fitness dogma. This articles explains how "clean eating" has evolved over the years.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • swisswife
    Options
    Most of my choices are "healthy". That being said, I am not going to be tied down to some fitness dogma. This articles explains how "clean eating" has evolved over the years.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

Thanks for that... TBH I stopped reading when the article started to quote scientific research :(

I have read lots of things about Clean Eating and I'm not following the diet to letter. But for me most of the basic eating ideals just made sense.... eat food close to its natural state as much as possible, lean protein, no excess oils/fats, lots of healthy fruit and veg.. cut out/down on alcohol, stop drinking 'diet' drinks, artificial sugars, flavour enhancers, control salt etc etc

The basis of what my Mum would of considered 'health eating'.

I personally don't like the idea of replacing meals with shakes or whatever else packed with a whole pile of unidentifiable stuff nor do I want to eliminate any one food group, so 'Clean Eating' is the closest way I can describe how I am eating.
    And so far my body likes it and I've lost some weight :)
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The Gracious Pantry has tons of really good clean eating recipes, and they try to revamp everything from beverages to birthday cake. :) www.thegraciouspantry.com
  • swisswife
    Options
    The Gracious Pantry has tons of really good clean eating recipes, and they try to revamp everything from beverages to birthday cake. :) www.thegraciouspantry.com

Thank you :) am always looking for new recipes.