Low Calorie Cornbread Muffins (49 Calories per Muffin)

Options

Replies

• CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    Do these not need baking powder in order to rise?

No, they do just fine. Cornbread never rises too far anyway and in traditional cornbread recipes, the egg helps it rise. I am guessing the mayonnaise is accomplishing this. That's a total guess on my part. :happy:

Oh I'm feeling kind of silly now! I just looked at my cornmeal and it's the "self-rising" kind, so that's why! Sorry, guess I should have looked earlier!

No problems. I'm glad I asked before I tried it :)
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    sounds good! But, is it good enough to "fool" my hubby? I've always made the traditional version. BTW....he's a "southern born & raised" so he does no his cornbread!! lol......
  • charelaine
    charelaine Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am also a southern girl and I love, love, love cornbread! So glad I don't have to give it up.
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    Options
    Lol. I know my cornbread too as I am also southern born and bred. The honest answer is no, they are not as good as cornbread made with no thought to calories, carbs or healthiness! The good answer is that they are still better than not having cornbread! I found them very moist. I think next time, I will tweak them a bit by adding a pinch of salt and maybe some onions. My hubby suggested adding onions, cheese and jalepenos to make more of a mexican flavor too (of course you would have to add the cheese calories and such). I also had them with beans, and I'm used to dunking it in the juice, so it was actually very flavorful that way.

I think they are a good base to start from and go from there and add some more flavor as you go.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    bump!
  • ssally1
    ssally1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Bump
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mtc1971
    mtc1971 Posts: 22
    Options
    So you are using a cornmeal mix?
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    Options
    So you are using a cornmeal mix?

I ran out and don't have it in front of me, but yes, I was using just a self-rising corn meal. One that it is the flour area that's just self-rising corn meal. Not a mix like Jiffy or anything.
  • ItsyBitsySpider
    Options
    Thank you! southern girl here and can't live without cornbread will def be making these
  • lambjoo
    lambjoo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lovedogslovecats
    lovedogslovecats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This sounds good. I think I'll try them in my cornstick pans, so they'll get nice & crispy.
  • bonita071
    bonita071 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bonita071
    bonita071 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yum!!!