What to do about a flat butt?

Options
Calidaho
Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
I am one of those people with proportionately skinny arms and legs--which is nice. Along with that comes a proportionately flat but. Most of my chub is in my middle--not so nice.

So, while the fat is coming off and my legs are getting very muscular, I don't know what to do about this flat butt! Are there exercises that build the butt?

Replies

• BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I don't have that problem but I would think squats or anything that focused on the glutes would help. :flowerforyou:
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    Oh wow! I was looking at my progress pictures this morning and one of the ones I take is me from behind ..... I always look at my bum and think how flat it is (not necessarily 'small' but definitely flat). I hate it, would be interested to see what people say!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    *bump*
    I am a flat bottom girl too, I have heard squats, lunges, leg lifts, stair stepper, and any exercise that works the glutes helps
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have the same body! very muscular legs and arms fat around the middle...FLAT *kitten*! In fact i always said that insurance should cover that plastic surgery cuz it hurts when you sit on something hard, like a bleacher! hahah all that being said i do jillian michael cardio meltdown and ther are some exercises in there where you just hold you leg in such away it works your butt! I don't see my butt much my husband makes sure i do my yoga to keep up on the new tush so it must be working! i am also aware of it when i walk...i can feel a little junk in the trunk or like a jiggle up my back. so ya! you get in "down dog" postition and throw one leg up in a split and hold....you can google yoga positions
  • lmarcia
    lmarcia Posts: 27
    Options
    If I don't work out I get a flat fat square butt :) Lovely....

Best thing....the dreaded squats. But, there are different variations of squats and pelvic thrusts (on the floor) that will tone your booty quickly.

Try doing squats in the shower (be careful!), while waiting for the microwave to heat your coffee, etc. Finding these little "extra" times on top of your workouts will get that butt shaped up in no time!
  • alibaba0310
    alibaba0310 Posts: 94
    Options
    i have the exact same problem! my weight is mostly carried around my belly and stuff and i have like NO BUTT! bump!!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people with proportionately skinny arms and legs--which is nice. Along with that comes a proportionately flat but. Most of my chub is in my middle--not so nice.

So, while the fat is coming off and my legs are getting very muscular, I don't know what to do about this flat butt! Are there exercises that build the butt?

Squats, lunges, Romanian deadlifts, normal deadlifts, sprints, that butt machine all the girls use at the gym, jump squats, jump lunges, kettlebell swings, rear planks, butt lifts with your feet on a bench or swiss ball, to name a few.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    I have flat butt to, bad times!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    *bump*
    I am a flat bottom girl too, I have heard squats, lunges, leg lifts, stair stepper, and any exercise that works the glutes helps

Nope, these make me flatter
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had a butt before I started this program. Now I don't have one at all. I wish we could pick and choose where the weight comes off. I used to have about a 4" difference between the smallest part of my waist and my hips/butt. Now it is less than an inch. I am trying to adjust to losing so much of my curves. However, on a better note, I have gone down 4" inches in the band size of my bra, but only 1 cup size. At least I saved the girls!!!
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have the same body! very muscular legs and arms fat around the middle...FLAT *kitten*! In fact i always said that insurance should cover that plastic surgery cuz it hurts when you sit on something hard, like a bleacher!

Hahahaha!! So true. Bony butts are not comfy to sit on!!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats and lunges : )
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Since I started working out with kettlebells (Lauren Brooks DVDs), my butt has gotten rounder and higher. I would think this would be a step in the right direction if you had none at all to begin with. lol I've always had plenty of backside, but I'm really starting to like the shape of it now.
  • MrsSchmidty7
    MrsSchmidty7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would suggest running hills...
    I also have FBS (flat butt syndrome) and when I first lost weight I lost all in my rump (you could literally not tell where by back began & legs ended, very super sad) and chest....now that I have gained some of it back (and which also brings me to MFP) I am a little thankful that I have gained in those areas now, although it's still nothing to write home about.
    Also, I think it's all in the jeans! :)
  • ejm_2010
    Options
    Haha, i feel a little better knowing im not the only person with a flat butt and weird proportioned body.
    There needs to be a no butt club lol.
  • weighted squats!!!! def. doing good for my derriere ;)
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Squats, lunges, Romanian deadlifts, normal deadlifts, sprints, that butt machine all the girls use at the gym, jump squats, jump lunges, kettlebell swings, rear planks, butt lifts with your feet on a bench or swiss ball, to name a few.

AND...

barbell glute bridges, one leg glute bridges, stiff leg deadlifts, barbell high steps, bulgarian split squats

Your butt is a muscle. If you want to make it bigger, select exercises that target it. Spend some time learning about muscle hypertrophy and train that booty like a bodybuilder. Also, you will not likely build much muscle if you are in a caloric deficit. Growing a butt means building muscle, and that requires calories to do.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Another flat-bottom girl (thanks mum!) :) bump!
  • Stace5
    Stace5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Squats!!

I also do kettlebell swings and weighted hip bridges on a step (google them if you're not sure) it's definitely lifting and making it more round.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Your butt is a big muscle, one of the largest in your body. If you truly want to build it up you need to get in a weight room and pull some weight and eat to support muscle growth. Deadlifts, squats, sumo, add/abductors, cable kick backs, kettlebell swings, all that, with weight.

This is assuming your not carrying around a lot of extra weight. There is an inbetween stage in weight loss where your butt is going to lose fat and look flat until your real but is fully visible *l*