Should age matter!!!

Options
I am not new to this site, but one thing has knocked my confidence. Age, oh yes you read it right. I did have a few friends on MFP, but over time decided not to communicate. Therefore I am left to complete this journey on my own. Age should never be an issue.
:smile:

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    not sure why age should matter, but guess the outlook & experience of a 25 year old could be very different from someone your age, or mine [69]

have a peek at my profile, I am in UK, so if you wish just add me as friend

Cheers

PS I am not one to add wtg on every post or send comments on your food diary, unless that is your meals look far better than mine
  • wilmawm
    wilmawm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's nice to have something in common with my MFP friends. Sometimes it's age or sometimes it's a particular challenge (ie I have issues with binge eating). Sometimes it's just admiration for someone who is committed to getting and staying healthy; maybe I can learn something! I really appreciate the support and motivation I've gotten from my MFP friends and try to provide the same. Add me if you'd like. :)
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, have a 19 yo daughter and am no fuddy duddy, but sometimes I feel like I'm hundred years older than the people on here. There are a lot of threads I would never participate in because of that, especially the chat ones. But on the other hand I get a lot of great info, especially about weights, from the younger crowd here. So a little good, a little awkwardness, it evens out.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    And BTW you're doing great and I congratulate you on your loss so far.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I don't think age should make any difference when communicating with your friends. I do find that my much younger friends don't communicate as well as my friends in their 30's or older do. I post everyday on my homepage and try to answer a lot of posts, but it is hard to answer everyone personally. I love meeting new people and have made a lot of great friends on here. Please feel free to add me.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Age isn't an issue for me, or my MFP friends! We're just all trying to support each other no matter where we are on the journey! Looks like you are doing really well.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Age doesn't matter to me, only reason why I don't have buddies here is that I am not that active. I use the place to log, to look for information, respond to the occasional thread and write blog-posts which are mainly reminders to myself. That works just fine with me.

On the other hand, I am very comfortable with young people, having worked with them all my life. I am aware that my perspective is very different from theirs, but that's just the way it is. I am quite happy with my age, and feel much better now than I did 30 years ago. Please, don't make me relive the stress of being young, taking an education, having children, working like a slave to make ends meet while raising them, worrying about my position and feeling like I was never good enough or pretty enough. It is SO GOOD to be a grown up, laid-back woman with resources and energy to pursue both work and leisure as I like it.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Age is never an issue for me. Ever. Anyone can feel free to send me a friend request, just as long as said "anyone" is prepared to deal with silly randomness from me. :wink:
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    In a forum like this, age should not even be in the mix. We are here to support and encourage each other. It's nice to have people in your own peer group, yes, when it comes to relating health or life events that happen at a particular stage in the game. But encouragement does not have a number attached to it.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and age is just another number.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends on here are around my age, but I do have some younger and some older as well. At 49, my age definitely has made a difference in my health and fitness. Hormones are different, arthritis and injuries over the years come into play, and it is much harder for me to lose than it was in my 20s. Fortunately, my older friends understand this as they struggle with it as well. We don't use it as an excuse, but just know that the extra challenges are there, so we have more realistic expectations and don't beat ourselves up if we don't lose as fast as the younger or less injured ones do.

But on the plus side, I am much wiser, less emotional, and have way more patience at this age than I did in my 20s-30s. So it's all good!
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    Hello--I am 66 and almost to goal. Everyone at Thanksgiving said I have never looked better. So add me if you need some moral support.
  • Gidgiee1
    Options
    I don't think age should matter. I haven't been on the forum here enough to know if it factors into discussions. I am just exploring at the moment.
  • Mindfreak1999
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. It is nice to know there are friends out there. Please let me know if i can add you. :smile:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 47 next week and I have two little kids. Its all about keeping active no matter our age. Feel free to add me. You've done GREAT so far, you will keep it.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    It is not an issue to me. I live in Bristol UK if you would like to add me.
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    OP: don't look now but you have a friend request. :bigsmile: