Coffee...

Options
I love coffee, but it always makes my tummy feel sick....does anyone else get like that? =/

Replies

• hollyroode
    Options
    only when I drink too much of it.. do you put anything in your coffee?
  • supercool111
    Options
    Do you use sugar? You should avoid adding sugar to it and the problem will probably go away.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    only when I drink too much of it.. do you put anything in your coffee?
    Yea i think I put more sugar and milk in the cup than I do coffee lol, but I only usually drink about 3-4oz's
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    Do you use sugar? You should avoid adding sugar to it and the problem will probably go away.
    but then it'd be so bitter....that's probably it because I rarely ever eat sugar to begin with so my stomach's prob sensitive to it
  • supercool111
    Options
    You get used to it though! I drink coffee balck with no sugar usually and I love it! It's something to do with the caffiene and sugar combined that fecks up your stomach.
  • hollyroode
    Options
    I drink mine black too :) I love the taste of it now.. I drink so much coffee that I wouldn't even want to think about the extra calories if I added cream and sugar.. Maybe you could try one of those fat free french vanilla creamers
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    You get used to it though! I drink coffee balck with no sugar usually and I love it! It's something to do with the caffiene and sugar combined that fecks up your stomach.
    ahhh thank you very much :bigsmile: ive tried to tough it out with just milk before, but still can't do it lol....i spose i'm just going to have to give up my monthly coffee or deal with the tummy ache....i wonder if sweet and low has the same affect?
  • Roger_Williams
    Roger_Williams Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I tried drinking coffee without sugar and I found I'd rather give up coffee. But I have cut back on the sugar so that now I just put two mini-cubes of brown sugar (one gram each) in a mug of coffee. To answer your question, no, it never makes me feel odd. I love it! And rather than cow's these days I use soy milk. But according to the daily totals in my MFP diary I am always over the limit for sugar. So perhaps I need to think again.
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    I tried drinking coffee without sugar and I found I'd rather give up coffee. But I have cut back on the sugar so that now I just put two mini-cubes of brown sugar (one gram each) in a mug of coffee. To answer your question, no, it never makes me feel odd. I love it! And rather than cow's these days I use soy milk. But according to the daily totals in my MFP diary I am always over the limit for sugar. So perhaps I need to think again.
    yea sugar can add up the cals really quick....I usually just have one mug of coffee a month, but i just cant stomach it anymore even tho my tastebuds love it....I spose ill just stick to my black hot tea/iced tea...d0h....if u want to cut back on the sugar cals maybe try sweet and low?
  • kfsooner
    kfsooner Posts: 40
    Options
    I cannot imagine coffee without a sweet taste. I use stevia and coconut milk creamer in my decaf coffee. I only use sugar when I am out eating and did not bring my stevia!!
  • gottagetitoff
    Options
    Could be the milk...maybe your lactose intolerant? Do you drink milk alone and if so, does it bother you? If so, try the lactase milk...
  • jesielin23
    jesielin23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Are you eating before you drink it? Coffee can cause ulcers especially when putting it on an empty stomach. I LOVE my coffee, so I just make sure I eat a little breakfast before hand. Also, I use skim milk and vanilla cream flavored stevia....that way I don't undo my hard work, but I don't have sugar free yucky aftertaste :)
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Folgers makes a smooth coffee that's supposed to be easy on the stomach. It's called "simply smooth" I can cut back sweets and fat and processed food, but I just can't give up my two cups a day.
  • tinap1
    tinap1 Posts: 27
    Options
    just use splenda and skim milk..........i have to have my milk!!
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    ahhh thank you very much :bigsmile: ive tried to tough it out with just milk before, but still can't do it lol....i spose i'm just going to have to give up my monthly coffee or deal with the tummy ache....i wonder if sweet and low has the same affect?

I cant drink coffee without the sugar as well. It's just nasty (in my opinion) I drink a cup at work each day and I probably add more suger and cream in it than I do coffee as well :devil: so bad.. but thats how I like it. It only makes my tummy hurt, as someone else said, when I drink too much.
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    Nope not lactose intolerant...and I had breakfast before I had it....I have no idea why i had drank about 3 oz today before I started getting that yucky tummy feeling...I'm going to have to try a cup without sugar and just milk.....just to see if sugar is the problem... lol tomorrow morning I'm going to give it a go even if i gag drinking the whole cup, just to see if its the sugar lol.....

Thank you all so very much for the suggestions :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • NaturalMom
    Options
    I use sugar-free non-dairy creamer (only 20 calories) and it solved the problem for me. Good luck!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I had that problem some years ago, to the point that I was only drinking tea. Then we went to Cuba for a holiday, and I found out that nobody there knows how to make a decent cup of tea :grumble: I had to drink coffee to get my dose of caffeine, and to my surprise my stomach was fine, even with the way Cubans make coffee which is quite strong. I was wondering about that until I realized their coffee is organically grown - no fertilizer or other chemicals are used. After we got back home, I continued to seek out organic coffee and so far so good! It may be worth a try for you. :drinker:
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you like the feeling of caffiene, but not the taste. What about adding a little water to your coffee-cream-sugar mixture? Or try decaf? I hope it works. I drink coffee cold, hot, with milk, or with only sugar, black, or with milk and sugar. I love my coffee. ;) Best of luck on your solution.
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    I'm going to do an experiment and find the conclusion...I'm going to take all the suggestions and do them one by one until my tummy doesnt hurt....once a day of course lol

and nope bj I just like the taste of all the sugar and milk mixed in with the coffee....:bigsmile: the caffiene i can live without