Cardio Bunny? Stop It – Stop It Now!

Options

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I primarily lift weights, but also walk. In the past, my primary exercise was power walking.

My resting heart rate is 48. I'm pretty darn strong. I could certainly power walk 4+ miles EASY . My right knee would put a halt to that way before my cardiovascular system.

BALANCE. gotta have it : )

And ... Far fewer posts just to get folks riled up on the cardio vs strength train would be nice too : )
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I guess some of us who are older people with joint problems are up the creek then because a lot of resistance exercise is just not good for me. I have arthritis in virtually every joint I possess, and I do some exercises with light weights on occasion but I don't see me doing much more than that because my joints can't handle that and I can't handle the pain I am left with afterwards. I have had both knees replaced and I am no spring chicken so I will continue with my cardio thank you as I have had some success with it.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^
  • MakingProgress
    Options
    I think the entire article is ridiculous. She bases her opinion in part on a study that used postmenopausal women?! And she thinks the same science would apply to a 20-something college student? Her logic is not only flawed, it's non-existent.

Balance is the way to go, no doubt about it, but I would never take seriously a college student who advocated throwing out years of research by hundreds of others that suggest there are major benefits to cardio exercise, based on her personal experience and one study. If someone wants to be a "cardio bunny" what are they hurting? They may not get the results the author thinks they should get, but if they're happy with it, well then, let them get on with it.

I know that the article says at the beginning that it's not aimed at those who use cardio as part of an overall fitness regime, but let's be honest - most people are going to gloss over that and use this as an excuse to skip an exercise they don't like doing. It sets a dangerous precedent, and I really hope that she understands for people who are losing weight, cardio is an integral part of that journey, particularly when someone has a lot of weight to lose.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    And so the debate continues...Being an engineer, on my weight loss journey, I tracked/charted everything...I mean geeky-level everything - weight, BP, pulse, inches, etc., etc., etc.

I love golf (walk-use pull cart), ride a mt. bike, treadmill in foul weather, did Insanity, and lifted light to moderate (10 to 15 reps). I mix it up because too much of one thing is SO FREAKING BORING...except for golf!

40 pounds later CARDIO DID ONE THING FOR ME THAT WAS HUGE: My at rest pulse was around 84 in my former fat self and is now around 60 in my new made-it-to-maintenance-self. I also have a lot more stamina.

Moral of the story, find what works and do it. But be smart...log honestly, track, chart, measure, set realistic goals.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I guess some of us who are older people with joint problems are up the creek then because a lot of resistance exercise is just not good for me. I have arthritis in virtually every joint I possess, and I do some exercises with light weights on occasion but I don't see me doing much more than that because my joints can't handle that and I can't handle the pain I am left with afterwards. I have had both knees replaced and I am no spring chicken so I will continue with my cardio thank you as I have had some success with it.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^

Joints and "old age" . I always do a little SIGH : ) can't help it .

Anyhoooo. Resistance training can actually be pretty darn good for those " joints", bones, muscles .... It's all about what you CAN do, not what you CAN'T do. everyone seems to automatically think barbells ..but resistance training is much more than that. Bands and body weight ! I encourage you to check out bodyweight exercises at www.nerdfitness.com. Or a nifty book entitled Your Body Is Your Gym.

And age ? Ernestine Shephard . wanna be her when I grow up
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^

Joints and "old age" . I always do a little SIGH : ) can't help it .

Anyhoooo. Resistance training can actually be pretty darn good for those " joints", bones, muscles .... It's all about what you CAN do, not what you CAN'T do. everyone seems to automatically think barbells ..but resistance training is much more than that. Bands and body weight ! I encourage you to check out bodyweight exercises at www.nerdfitness.com. Or a nifty book entitled Your Body Is Your Gym.

And age ? Ernestine Shephard . wanna be her when I grow up

Totally this! I am 61 and other than recovery times, I just don't see what age has to do with it. My bones and joints and muscles do better when I work them than when I don't. And yes, I too have some arthritis. Stop worrying about what you can't do and figure out what you can. You may surprise yourself. I know I have!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    I do plenty of resistance training but also run everyday. Mainly so I can eat more food! Love me some food :)
  • EatingRight123
    Options
    nocardio.jpg

30584654.jpg
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm sure 95% of the men out there would want to be ripped than run a mile. Running a mile is cool, but offers little real world benefits.

Until the zombie apocalypse. :indifferent:

I do both. I love running. I consider myself a runner. Strength training makes me a better runner. With a fantastic *kitten*.

Is it wrong that I giggled when I read this..?
    I do the same as LorinaLynn...just less running and more walking right now 'cause I'm still training my lungs to withstand me running. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Why do people insist on countering the rules of zombieland? Cardio and double tap people.

^^this. You can dead lift a zombie as its tearing your intestines out.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do resistance training because there's an elderly woman at my church whose arms are so weak she cannot take a casserole out of the oven. I realized, at 60, that my arms were much weaker than they should be so I started going to a gym. I also do cardio. I don't have arthritis or any other condition which restricts me so I am lucky.

OTOH, my husband who is 64 injured his arm at work years ago and also has bad knees. He doesn't go the gym and he doesn't do any resistance training. However, he does a lot of household/yard chores and is quite active, at a normal weight, and is physically strong.

IMO, we really need to do what we can do and just not worry about the rest.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    So something is wrong with me since I did a two hour walk after thanksgiving dinner? Not punishing just making room for pie. This article is invalid. By the way I love strength training.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    For my women who don't do any type of resistance exercise, read this.

http://www.soheeleefitness.com/exercise/cardio/cardio-bunny-stop-it-stop-it-now/

Pay close attention to this section below, so many people are guilty of this.

4. Cardio as compensatory behavior.

i do only cardio and only cardio everyday... =) I don't do strength training and i don't need it too.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Didn't we just have a cardio/weight lifting Either/Or thread recently?

Silliness, every last time.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    i do only cardio and only cardio everyday... =) I don't do strength training and i don't need it too.
    You will need strength training as you age as it becomes the most important and necessary component of fitness. Without it, you'll lead a diminished quality of life which will affect every day activities such as cleaning, bathing, using the bathroom, feeding, etc.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    For the "lift only" crowd, there's a good article by Lyle about the benefits of doing some cardio for mass gains and strength training that presents a nice counterbalance to the original article: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html

Here are a couple more on the same lines as the OP explained a bit differently as well:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/too-much-cardio-followup.html

Good post OP! Just adding a little more to the discussion.

Personally, I think a balanced approach is ideal for long-term health and overall fitness though heavy lifting will improve physique more than just cardio. Totally agree that cardio should not be done as "punishment" for overeating as well.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I do a cardio session every day, none of this HIIT crap, but liss as to not take away from recovery, and it lets me eat more calories. winning.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Very valuable information. I will definately take it to heart.
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article... but no article will make me stop running. I love to run.. in fact, off I go right now. hehe.. (I also do Jillian 3xs a week so I'm not a cardio only junkie but I've lost 20 lbs this year and a good portion of that I owe to running..my new found love....and the Academy, I'd like to thank them too..)
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options

I'm sure 95% of the men out there would want to be ripped than run a mile. Running a mile is cool, but offers little real world benefits. Being ripped with muscles offers a TON of real world benefit as well as at least SOME of the cardiovascular and most if not all of the health effects.

Really?? No "Real World Benifits"? Try telling that to the policeman who has to run down a criminal, or the military person who has to run for cover, or the firefighter running into a burning building to save a life. I'm sure those guys are more willing to be able to run that mile than to have a 6 pack anyday.

Yep, I run. Why, because I can. For years I had never been able to run at all. Hell, even walking up a flight of stairs made me winded. Now I take pleasure in being able to run distances without stopping. It makes me feel good, and really isn't that what this is all about? Making us feel good about ourselves? So lift, run, play racketball, swim, ski, snowboard, or do whatever it is that makes you move and feel good.. like Nike said.. Just Do It!