Resistance bands for strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I have seen a big difference in my body after I started Mark Lauren's' You Are Your Own Gym'. It's all about body weight exercises. I can finally do a pull up on my own, something I thought I would never say!
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    I don't know much about body weight exercises. But resistant bands can be just as good as weight. There are some programs that rather you use the bands first and the weights as an alternative. A good example is Slim in 6. She uses bands in her 6 week program that gives great results. I know because I have personally done the program. Sometimes the band gives a better burn then the weights. Sometimes. People overlook bands and underestimate them. But if they tried them they would be surprised at the effectiveness.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all and each one of you for the ideas and comments!

I'll take a look at those products and programs!
    Until we move away to a different place we're a little crammed where we live so yes, it's going to be tough to find enough space to exercise without the risk of breaking something (furniture, ornament or bone lol).
    My friend is not like say, schwarzenegger but is quite strong and has been attending the gym for strength training for quite some time. According to my friend, i should have lifted heavy weights from day one and not doing any other activity except a light cardio routine, and also says that pilates, yoga, calisthenics and body pump have all been useless and a waste of time (yeah i know body pump has mixed reviews due to the high reps, but i only do it if i don't have time to go to the fitness equpment room). Of course I disagreed and that's why i decided to get your opinions.

I'll let you know how things go if I have to start doing this on my own :) you all just saved my resistance bands from going to the trash can :P

Thank you all so much again!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with your friend. I believe you can build muscle and lose fat with resistance bands and body weight exercises. At least I have been able to. I mix it up with other things... but, that stuff works.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I use bands for some of my exercises. I have to use 3 of them together on one handle to get the resistence I need. At the top of the pull, that's the most resistance. So, if you can hold it for a second, you should. At the bottm of the pull, it's lighter. As long as you maximize your effort and work to exhaustion, it doesn't matter what you do. People are haters, for some reason. And, anything different than what they do is "wrong". Just do your own thing and don't worry about what someone says. Resistence is resistence. I used to think that way about bands too. Then, one day, tried it. :) Like anything, haters are usually ignorant.

As another anecdote, a friend of mine used to workout to this DVD. And, it looked so stupid. It was a cheesy 80's video, and I mean just looked so lame. And, I'd laugh and tease. One day, I tried it, and I didn't laugh anymore after that.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hi again!

A friend of mine and I were having a chat at the gym the other day, and she was saying it's impossible for someone to build muscle by using resistance bands or by executing exercises that involve lifting the body weight.
    I'm wondering if this is true, have in mind I'm talking about a person who can't lift much/beginner.

Say for instance, that I can't lift a 5lbs weight to train my bicep muscles, but say I have resistance bands at home that create a 5lbs resistance. Let's also say that I end up the exercise sets and reps with shaky arms and that I have delayed onset muscle sorenes the following day...Would I be able to gain muscle by using them until I am strong enough to lift more? Are weights truly needed in a case like this?

Just wondering.

Thanks for any input or opinion!

Progressive load or double progressive approach.

You either add more weight or more reps every time.
    If you go the resistance band route I suggest using SKLZ Chrome 3 band handle set.
    http://www.sklz.com/sklz-chrome/strength/triple-grip-handles
    And buy all the bands
    http://www.sklz.com/sklz-chrome/strength/fitness-cables

That way you can have any resistance and you can progressively step up the weight once you hit a certain rep.
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    You know what...what ever you use for resistance is better than using nothing.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in the facts about this...

I've been looking at getting one of those 'over the door' resistance 'home gym' doovies...because I have really bad agoraphobia that has kicked in in a major way, and I haven't been able to get to the gym in months. I'm still losing weight, but I'm becoming incredibly flobby :(

I work out at home with a set of TRX straps and 100 lb. resistance bands just to do some extra in the waist. I have built a lot of muscle, decreased body fat, and really lost a lot of inches. There are always more challenging moves to do with the TRX, so I'm not worried about it becoming too easy for me! :smile:
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely build muscle using resistance bands. You won't be a body builder, but for tone and a little more muscle they are fine. I don't use it, but I believe in P90 you can use either bands or weights, so obviously they must believe the same thing.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! They are a great tool for many reasons. One in particular is that unlike weights, you get benefit from the ecentric move and the concentric move. In other words, when you bring the band up and bring the band down.

You will build muscle, strengthen and be able to move up to weights. The muscle will be working for you 24/7... so, even when you are sleeping!!!!!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Great info in here, bookmarking for later, thanks for sharing everyone :smile: