Options
Hi, I just joined myfitnesspal. I am 5ft 4 and have 13 pounds to go. I am on 1200 calories per day. Looking for support.

Replies

• lolaskates275
    lolaskates275 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 21, 5'7" and 140ish pounds, I have 15 lbs to go! Add me!
  • Vickyhill2012
    Vickyhill2012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm new too looking to lose 25lbs. Feel free to add me and good luck :smile:
  • cahannah73
    Options
    hi i am 5 ft 4 in and currently weigh 125. i started at 156 pounds and was 149 pouds when i joined mfp. it really works. feel free to add me.
  • Liveformiracles
    Options
    Hi, I just joined...5'0 and trying to go from 150 to about 130 lbs. I've tried wright watchers and was running for a while but have trouble staying motivated. I hope this helps me, it would be nice to hear if it has worked for others.:smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined myfitnesspal. I am 5ft 4 and have 13 pounds to go. I am on 1200 calories per day. Looking for support.

Hi there, here is the healthy weight range for you: 5’4” 108 – 139 Lbs.

Everyone is different. We can't tell you how much to eat or what to eat but here are some things to think about.

Since you are so close to your goal it's going to be slower going for you and requires more patience and not so deep a deficit. Adjust if you need to, be flexible.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Also you do not have to eat the same amount of calories every day. You can think of it as a weekly calorie budget. You can eat low some days and high some days. You can be flexible. You can find what is sustainable for you.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

As far as calories…

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

If you plug in all your info (typically age, gender, height and weight) into one of those calculators what you get is the average metabolic rate of a group of people who share your age, sex, height and weight. What you DON’T get is YOUR EXACT calorie needs. It's a place to start.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss.

Wishing you the best! Bobbie
  • beige2012
    beige2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss.

Wishing you the best! Bobbie

Thanks Bobbie, I will keep these pointers in mind and be patient. I have a lot to learn about portion control and understanding what the right portion size is for me. These are good starting points. Thanks.
  • Catcampbell13
    Options
    Hi there !!! I just joined too and super excited to get started but looking or friends and support too. I am 6 feet tall and started at 179 I want to get down to 130. Seems to be a long way but I am determined to be healthier than I am now and at a weight I want to be at yay lol