5'3 what should my goal weight be?

Options
2»

Replies

• bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and my goal weight for my small bone structure is 115 but for someone who is bigger boned 125 or so would be fine. You do what you feel is right for you.. And there is a group for "Shorties" trying to lose weight its for people under 5'5 feel free to come and join.. love to have ya
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    100 lbs at 5' and add 5 lbs/inch for medium frame. If you have a large frame or a lot of muscle add 10%. So at 5'3" "ideal" would be 115 (100+5*3) up to 126.5 (115*1.1) if you have a lot of muscle or a larger frame.

Wow, so being 5' 4" I should be 120lbs. Might have to change the ticker! :)

This is just a general guideline, and at 5'4" can go up to 132 (120*1.1)
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and my GW 135
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and my goal is 115-120 on the higher end
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and my goal is 140-145. The smallest I've ever been in my adult life was 135 out of high school. and I was tiny then. I've always had alot of muscle in my legs though, so I know I could never be 115 lbs. It's all about where you feel comfortable and happy with your body. Everyone is different!
  • CindyCountingCalories
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and my goal weight is 120, but in the end the scale is just a number. I'm going with inches, don't care what I weigh as long as I can fit in a 8 I'm happy :wink:
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Set small goals and work on the ultimate goal as you go. I say that because setting a huge goal at first may seem daunting, especially on weeks you only maintain or even gain. Baby steps.
    I had initially (at 237 lbs) set my goal weight at 160. Once I got there I decided 140s.
    I am now 158 and have decided to try my best to make 100 lbs lost which would put me at 137.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and my goal weight is 120, but in the end the scale is just a number. I'm going with inches, don't care what I weigh as long as I can fit in a 8 I'm happy :wink:

AMEN! good way of thinking..... i'm 5.2 and a half and i was hoping to be 127ish but will be happy with 130. doubt i could hit 120 again...... but as long as i can fit my size 7/ 8 pants comfortable i will be so happy. i am aiming for any size smaller just size 7/8 :)
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    5'3 here too, but your goal weight is whatever you want it to be and feel comfortable with. My first goal was to be at 135lbs. I got there and wanted to do more. My goal now is 125-127. Good luck!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I choose my goal weight by my previous weight of when I was fit, healthy, and confident. It's a very personal goal and just know it can be achieved if you set mini-goals and challenges for yourself.

I'm 5' 3" and started at 158.6 in Jan 2011, so I wanted to return to pre-kids (my kids are no longer babies!) weight when I got married in 2001, which I knew I was pretty confident then. Since it was easier in my 20s to stay fit I know it's a challenge in my 30s so I want to be strong, healthy, and have energy. Goal set to a strong 124 lbs w/ muscle tone and abs!
  • TheTink
    TheTink Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 3" and my goal weight is 130. I think a goal weight should be realistic so there isn't a huge disappointment. Also, MFP shows my goal weight to be set as 125. And when you get to be my age of 43, it is harder to reach the 110 and 118 that I used to be even just 3 years ago. With that being said... rock on and move forward!
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    I am your same height, & my goal is 138 lbs. When I was younger I got down to 110, but felt "sickly"
  • Mommy2boys1girl
    Mommy2boys1girl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure about you, but I am 4'11 and my lowest weight was also 118. However, looking back at pictures at that weight, I think I looked much too small and sort of gaunt looking (especially in my face). My target weight that I am aiming for is about 125 to 130 and I am about 4 inches shorter than you. I'd say, just go with your plan and don't neccessarily restrict yourself to a specific number. You may feel that at 130 or 140 that you feel amazing. In any case, good luck on your journey:happy:

Amen! I am 5'1" and have a goal of 140. I got down to 129 once and was smokin'!! This was also before having 3 kids! I have such a long way to go, though, that 140 is my overall goal. Once I get there I can decide if I want more.
  • amandah_99
    Options
    yeah im 5'2 and 103 lbs :/ swimming helps you loose a lot of weight
  • thejess
    thejess Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and my goal is 130 - not sure what that's gonna look like but we'll see when i get there!
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html

Paste this link and just browse the different sizes and you will see what people look like at the different sizes - it should help put things into perspective.

I am 5ft 2 and aiming for about 140lbs - but I do cardio and resistance so am focusing more on feeling healthy as am hoping to have plenty lean muscle by the time I get there.
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 113lbs which is too thin for me and my bones are showing!! I'm losing WAY too much weight while breastfeeding even though I eat 2100 cal/day and don't really exercise. My Dr told me recently that 125lbs would be a good healthy weight but everyone is different. Good luck!
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and my goal is 140-150. I plan to get to 150, see what that looks like and how it feels on me and go from there. I don't have any plans or desire to be bikini thing, a size 2 or someone who has to so carefully watch what I eat and how much I exercise to stay at a number. For me its more about if I feel comfortable, happy and not deprived at that weight.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'3" and have my goal set to 145. i'll see how i look and feel once i get there--i may need to revise my goal a bit lower once i get there, but for me i feel that 145 is a good point at which to pause and evaluate. i started on MFP at 201, and have had my calorie goal set to 1.5 lbs/wk but think i might change it to 1 lb/wk.
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what is healthy for YOU, not on where others have set their goals. If you must go by a chart, I like this one:

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

Some people will say frame size doesn't matter, but I think it really does. When I was at my thinnest (junior year in high school), I was wearing size 5 clothes. I'm an inch taller than my friend who has been thin her entire life. She's got tiny bones and my high school class ring was huge on her. I wasn't fat at all, but my bones are larger, so I imagine that translates into overall weight in some way.

Once you get your frame size, you can use this calculator:

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/ideal-body-weight-calculator.php

to get your ideal weight range. These calculators generally give a range for people with medium body frame size. The generally acceptable modifications are 10% lower range for small body frames and 10% higher for large body frames.

I'm 46yo, female, 4'11" with a large frame, so my ideal range is given at 92 - 124, which becomes 101 - 136 when I adjust it up 10%. That seems perfectly reasonable to me. I don't think I'd be happy at 136 since I was there before ages ago and felt overweight, so I've set my own goal to 115-125. Once I get closer to that, I may adjust again depending on how I feel and where I can comfortably maintain my weight.