Walk to lose weight?

Options
Anyone on here have any sucess stories from walking and lost a lot of weight?

Replies

• raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of outdoor walking and Leslie Sansone dvds. Between working on my eating habits and walking that's how I've lost all my weight to date! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit of weight--walking & staying under the calories!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 pounds since Jan. I walk 10,000 steps every day, more if I go to the gym. Today I have done 17,000 steps and 7 miles. Not only has it helped with weight loss my legs are looking fab!!! I just try to walk everywhere I can I don't go for specific walks. I also walk for an hour each time when I go to the gym.
  • wellsyboyred
    wellsyboyred Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start and end point Heather. It's actually the EASIEST way I reckon to shed. When I first started embarking on this diet thing I just walked, nothing else and that alone kick started my who weight loss. i go full aerobic now to condense down the work out time but there's still no better way if that's your goal and you have the time to do it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here have any sucess stories from walking and lost a lot of weight?

yes. once you get over 1 hour in duration, you're talking about a large chunk of calories for each walking session. i do 2 hour walks. i have a hilly scenic route and it gives me lots of quiet time to think about things.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    My Dad walked and Lost 100 lbs in a year
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yep, I walk whenever I can, no set distance or number of steps, just walk and enjoy the views and folk along the way. I do no other exercise apart from walking
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main form of exercise. I'm a single mom with a full-time out-of-the house job with a lengthy commute. I try to get to the gym every other weekend when the boys are with their dad. In between, I walk during lunch at work, or in the evening when they're home and homework is done. I take the dog with me, a flashlight, and a reflective vest.

One of the best things you can do for walking is to invest in a good pair of sneakers. Go to a specialty running store and have them fit you properly. It's totally worth the investment, especially if you'll be doing a lot of walking.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, all I did was walk on the treadmill when I first started MFP. That's how I lost my first 35 pounds. I Have since added some weights and did Insanity and 30 Day Shred.
  • heather_9931
    Options
    Thanks Guys. Right now all I have is a treadmill and an exercise bike. Hoping to lose 40 lbs by summer!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    walking is a good start but I would recommend getting into some strength trainng...is there a local gym you can join?
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    Options
    Thanks Guys. Right now all I have is a treadmill and an exercise bike. Hoping to lose 40 lbs by summer!
    You got this! :heart:
  • Kho1874
    Kho1874 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds by walking 2-3 miles a day, five days a week. That was all I did, except for watching what I ate. I didn't tone or use any type of weights until after I lost all that weight. Switching up the speed at which I walked is what I think helped it be so effective.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I did mainly walking after my first baby with the occasional other higher impact aerobics here and there (def not on a regular basis) and lost 60 pounds got down to 105 pounds (only 5'2" so that is a healthy weight for me). So I found it incredibly effective lol, but when I say walking I mean I was walking upwards of 20000 steps everyday lol. I will say that I lost alot of muscle mass tho too and ended up adding in weight training after b/c I didn't like how little muscle definition I had. I would say walking is great but you should prob do some form of resistance training too even if it is only body weight. (Push-ups squats etc)
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Lost my frist 40lbs just doing that and still do but know I added strength training ^u^ Good luck doll!
  • Kho1874
    Kho1874 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds by walking 2-3 miles a day, five days a week. That was all I did, except for watching what I ate. I didn't tone or use any type of weights until after I lost all that weight. Switching up the speed at which I walked is what I think helped it be so effective.

Also, this was over a 7 month period. So 40 pounds by summer would be completely do-able!
  • Mindfreak1999
    Options
    Hi
    I have lost nearly 8o lbs, by combining Walking and Mountain Biking. Any one can add me if they feel I could help. :smile:
  • ScottW069
    Options
    Some what yes, I have started to have a daily goal of walking for a minimum of an hours time and I have dropped a few pounds since I started using the sight. Granted it's not major but I know I dropped 2 waist sizes since I began tracking my caloric intact and all.
  • Preciouskristin
    Preciouskristin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've walked nearly 300 miles since June 13 and I've lost 36 pounds. It has been my primary form of exercise. I'm a teacher so it was a lot easier to get my walk in during the summer and now that it's getting cold outside it's easier for me to make excuses not to do my walk, but I enjoy it when I get started! I have stayed very strict with my calorie intake as well, though! I hate going to the gym, but I'm going to have to start some strength training at some point.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight just by walking for exercise (with calorie restriction). Right now, I'm down 80 pounds from my starting weight.

For 90% of my weight-loss program, walking has been the major form of exercise for me. If you restrict calories appropriately, you CAN lose weight simply by walking briskly for at least 30 minutes every day. I don't believe in the "no pain, no gain" philosophy of weight-loss. I quite enjoy my walking workouts by watching movies on the treadmill or stepping outside and listening to music or audiobooks while I walk.

If you can fit in an hour of walking every day, and you restrict calories appropriately, you will see results.

IMO, walking is the best exercise there is. It can be enjoyable, and if you incorporate audio books into your workouts you can broaden your knowledge while you do it!