what do you think is a healthy weight

Options
So I am 5'5 and started out at 132.4lbs and I currently weigh 127.7lbs my goal weight is to be 120. I'm currious to see what others think is a good goal. According to a BMI calculator I could weight from 111.2lbs to 150.2lbs and still be considered "healthy". I want to look fit and healthy not like I just spent a few months in the hospital and ended up being skin and bones I'm most likely going to just try to loose fat and gain muscle till I feel I look the way I want to. What do others think. If you want include pictures of your own transformation.

Replies

• wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Looking healthy is more about body composition than weight. If you focus only on weight... you can be a fat 120 lbs or a fit, muscular 120 lbs and you'd look vastly different.
  • PrettyPleaseSkinny
    Options
    I think that 120 is a healthy weight! Just don't much lower and you should be fine :)
  • georgeyacoub
    Options
    There is no magic number really. I think you should start to do strength training.
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am 5"4, starting weight 171lb's, current weight 148lb's and original target weight of 133lb's - I have decided to hit that goal and then assess how I feel in my new body before deciding whether or not to lose more.

I have had a look at some peoples pictures of people of my height and thought 'yep, thats what I am aiming for!' and none of those are under 130lb's.

Like you, I want to look healthy!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft5 and maintaining at 124 - 126. (started on here at 140) I am maintaining at the moment but still losing bodyfat so getting smaller.

You can add me if you want to see a before and after.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I think. 2 lbs x height for women and 2.5 lbs x hieght for men. (height in inches. I could be wrong.. since we are all built differantly.

plus or minus a few lbs.
  • SaraA07
    Options
    Looking healthy is more about body composition than weight. If you focus only on weight... you can be a fat 120 lbs or a fit, muscular 120 lbs and you'd look vastly different.

Exactly which is why I'm going to kinda judge it as I go along. As I start to gain more muscle from lifting I know the scale might go up but I'll looke more tone which I'm fine with.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    I am 5'7" and weight 131 right now with 18% body fat. I can't upload any pictures, but you are more than welcome to friend me to see what I looked like and what I look like not. I started at 155 and was not in shape or muscular at all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ditch the BMI calculator. have you used skin calipers or scales to figure out your own fat% as opposed to some chart based on averages ? find out your current bf% and use that to determine what your goals should be

as an example, i'm also 5'5 but i have a LOT of lean body mass since i've been lifting weights regularly for the past 20 years. anywhere from 135-145 pounds of me is lean body mass, so adding a healthy 18% body fat on that, my goal weight should be 159-171, which would put me on the overweight category of the BMI chart.

there's no way i'd lose muscle mass just to fit on the BMI chart
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    There is really no way to say just based on height. At my highest weight of 140 and 5'4" I think that I looked fat, whereas others with my stats looked fit. I look better at a lower weight than other people my height.

At 119, I'm still fat in some areas.
  • SaraA07
    Options
    ditch the BMI calculator. have you used skin calipers or scales to figure out your own fat% as opposed to some chart based on averages ? find out your current bf% and use that to determine what your goals should be

as an example, i'm also 5'5 but i have a LOT of lean body mass since i've been lifting weights regularly for the past 20 years. anywhere from 135-145 pounds of me is lean body mass, so adding a healthy 18% body fat on that, my goal weight should be 159-171, which would put me on the overweight category of the BMI chart.

Know of any good (hopefully cheap) skin calipers?
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    What you feel is most important, be true about it and you'll be fine.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Know of any good (hopefully cheap) skin calipers?

i got mine from amazon. it came with a tap measure too. it was like $6. there are some that are digital so you dont have to decipher the markings yourself but those are more expensive
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!