Kickboxing

Options
Just wondering how other people on here find it....i'm considering starting beginniners classes this monday and curious does it play a good role in weight loss obviously with a calorie deficit...also is it good for toning up? ....i'm seriously thinking of starting strength training now and dunno if the kickboxing is worth it.
Advice needed..:)

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's good exercise. Some of the pro fighters at my old gym were pretty flabby though. Just goes to show - you can't out train your diet.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    ok thats interesting....anyone else? :)
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to give kickboxing a try. It seems like it would be great cardio. I am not 100% and I can't really give advice on it lol but I will be looking into it and let you know if and what I find.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I did some kickboxing when I was a kid and loved it! Kept me fit between soccer seasons. Had to stop when we moved to the other side of the city but would love to take it up again during basketball off season to really get some conditioning going.

It's a good cardio workout and will also help with flexibility and balance.
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was a aerobic kickboxing instructor for over 10 years. Aside from the plyometrics workout in the P90X series, it is next in line as my favorite workout. In my opinion, it's the best as far as toning and shaping legs. I had many participants who felt the same way. As with any exercise, take it slow at first and get a feel for good form and the moves. Once that is out of the way, the sky is the limit with how hard you want to push yourself. If you decide to go for it, I hope all the best for you!
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I love my kickboxing class! Had to change my schedule around so I haven't been in about a month and I miss it so much, Still trying to find a way to fit it back into my workout routine!
  • ChelMar24
    Options
    I have several friends that kickbox. One is a trainer as well as a TeamBeachBody Coach. He loves it!! Its looks super fun.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing rocks! Whether you will strengthen/tone really depends on your instructor. A lot of classes are strictly "cardio" kickboxing. Those classes are great for fat burning, but probably not so great for toning and strengthening. The class I take is instructed by a former MMA fighter, and we do TONS of strength training, too. We did 200 push-ups in class a couple of weeks ago! I have had a lot of success, both with weight loss and increased strength. I say give it a try! You never know if you're going to be happy with it if you don't try!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I simply adore kickboxing ^^ and yeah, the cardio / toning mix depends on the instructor :) We usually do about 30 minutes of cardio and then 15 minutes of ab training / toning work :)
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love it. Give it a try :)
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I love kickboxing...so fun!
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone great to hear others experiences of it :D.
    I'm going starting next week, may as well give it a go...as far as I know the class incorporates some toning as well so hopefully will reap the benefits of this as hard as it may be :P